Coral Vue Hydros

Zer0's 25G Trimless LED Cube

Zer0

FTS: 07/24/2011

img0292lo.jpg

Equipment:

• - Mr. Aqua 25G Trimless Cube - 18x18x18
  • - DIY LED Fixture - 12 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 / 12 Royal Blue Cree XP-E w/ 2 Meanwell ELN 60-48D's
  • - DIY Stand
  • - Custom Sump - 15x15x14 - Fabricated by NewbieReefer here on N-R
  • - QuietOne 1200 return pump
  • - 150w RenaSMART Heater
  • - Glass-Holes super nano overflow kit w/ 1/2" return kit
  • - Bubble Magus NAC3+

So, my plans for this tank are pretty simple. It's going to be a mixed reef, focused mainly around zoanthids/palythoas and some of the nicer SPS. There will be a couple LPS mixed in there as well, but not many. I'm going for a more peaceful type of community. Nothing aggressive. I will probably have a nice Maxi Mini nem in there, and a maxima/crocea clam for sure. There will be one Ocellaris Clownfish for sure, a mated pair of Blue Striped Neon Gobies, and then probably one more fish. Haven't decided yet.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm glad you didnt let the shortcomings of the previous tank keep you out of the game. I'm sure this new setup will be stellar. Looking forward to seeing it filled. :)

Thanks Hype! I'm actually really happy with how the stand came out. I gave it about 6 or 7 coats, just to make sure it looked REALLY black lol. My main focus this time around is ease of maintenance and clean cut. The stand is flush with the tank, and the holes cut in the back of the stand are for the overflow line and the return line, and the middle hole is for wires. I think it's going to be great this time around. :)

Looks like a great start Zero ... nice and simple. Did you go with the lower iron Mr. Aqua cube or the standard version?

Thanks Hog!

Standard. I figured, it probably wouldn't even be as nice as starphire or ADA tanks, so why even bother. Plus, It was a considerable more amount of money. Money that could be spent on better equipment for the tank. Plus, it's 5mm thick glass, which isn't very thick at all so the green tint is barely noticeable. Once it's under the halide, you won't even see the green, aside from looking straight at the edge of the glass. Can't escape that one lol.

Oh ya, I'll also be replacing the FTS with a better one once the tank is in its final location. There's a lot going on in the living room so it looks kind of weird. Plus, I didn't get too close to the tank for some reason. Idk, I think I just wanted a perspective from farther away.

Sweet!

At first, I was like, why are there sticks in the tank? :lol:

that's what i thought too lol

nice tank

Thanks seabass and Squared!

Hahaha I didn't think anyone would notice the sticks.. :P Yeah, that's my moms crazy idea of adding life to the living room. Aside from the fact that the branches are dead... right? Oh well. lol.

Looking good man, glad to see you back. If you want some chaeto to get you started or need anything else (also got some types of caulerpas) LMK dude. I think the only thing you should do differently with this one is..keep it! lol it sounds like you've got it thoroughly planned out though so I'm sure this one will be killer.

As for your b/w clown, Ocean Gallery II up in North Plainfield has some b/w ORA clowns. I got an inch and a half male for like $40 including tax. They always have like 20% off sales and stuff, so sign up for their weekly email list to see when they'll have it again. I think they sell baby O. clowns for like $15 when they get new shipments and what I did for my other tank is just bought two of those juvis and they paired up within two weeks, can't be a $30 pair:). I'll be keeping a close eye on this one ;) .

Looking good man, glad to see you back. If you want some chaeto to get you started or need anything else (also got some types of caulerpas) LMK dude. I think the only thing you should do differently with this one is..keep it! lol it sounds like you've got it thoroughly planned out though so I'm sure this one will be killer.

As for your b/w clown, Ocean Gallery II up in North Plainfield has some b/w ORA clowns. I got an inch and a half male for like $40 including tax. They always have like 20% off sales and stuff, so sign up for their weekly email list to see when they'll have it again. I think they sell baby O. clowns for like $15 when they get new shipments and what I did for my other tank is just bought two of those juvis and they paired up within two weeks, can't be a $30 pair:). I'll be keeping a close eye on this one ;) .

Hey thanks greedy! And thanks for the info! And actually, I might have to take you up on that caulerpa offer! ;) This time around i'm skipping the chaeto, and just getting macro that holds on to rocks and grows like that, instead of floats like the chaeto and covers up everything around it. And actually, thanks for the info on Ocean Gallery! I actually plan to try and visit all of the nice LFS's around us. I've been to Allquatics, which sucks, and AbsolutelyFish which is an awesome place! Want to try a few others. I'll definitely sign up to Ocean Galleries email list. Thanks dude!

Nice setup. Hope you stick with this one to the end
:lol: Good one, 'cause of all the sticks in the... ah, never mind. :angry:

Hahahahaha i know i know i'm sorry!! :lol: That's my MO. To build a tank up, and then tear it down almost instantly... the next day. :lol:

Not this time. No way. :ninja:

Update:

So, the worst is over. Now it's only a matter of time before the whole thing is up and running. I've drilled the tank successfully, which i'm very relieved about. I got all the stuff from glass-holes, and now I have to go out to a couple places to get some equipment. Plumbing supplies, some black pvc hose for the return and overflow, Krylon Fusion for the tank, some eggcrate for the overflow, and 1/2" conduit for the light tree. I believe that's actually all that's left... After that, I'm just waiting on the sump. :) Oh yeah, and the lights. Going to order a 150w FNI pendant tonight.

Pictures will be posted later today so stay tuned!

At first I thought the decoration branch in the background was in the tank. I thought, "I've seen planted tnks with branches hanging out of the top but this is a little much". :lol: Nice tank though! Even nicer piano, my wife would be really jealous!

Archived