ReefCleaners.org

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

oh my.......this is going to be soooooo good.

Hopefully man. I'm still contemplating on rather I should start up fresh with a new aquascape or add on to what I have now. Because, I'd hate to break apart some of the corals, especially the zoas that are already growing in the rock work. Either way, the new tank is going to sit in the basement for a bit. It'll be sometime before I actually get it up and running.

Did my first water change for 2017 today. Noticed my Monti cap hasn't been looking happy lately. I think my nutrients dipped for some reason.

YdhvPx.jpg

• Like 5

Hopefully man. I'm still contemplating on rather I should start up fresh with a new aquascape or add on to what I have now. Because, I'd hate to break apart some of the corals, especially the zoas that are already growing in the rock work. Either way, the new tank is going to sit in the basement for a bit. It'll be sometime before I actually get it up and running.

Did my first water change for 2017 today. Noticed my Monti cap hasn't been looking happy lately. I think my nutrients dipped for some reason.

YdhvPx.jpg

I think you should start something completely new.... scape,livestock,theme.

BTW That shot is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

I think you should start something completely new.... scape,livestock,theme.

BTW That shot is absolutely ridiculous.

Shot with iPhone. :)

Got in some new toys for the Red Sea. I've never owned anything from maxspect, surprisely the gyre build quality is really good and I love the fact that they include spare parts!

q1K8iA.jpg

For skimmer, I decided on the Nyos 160. I may have misjudged the size, it's huge and I'm hoping it isn't too overkill.

GWsJdW.jpg

• Like 3

Shot with iPhone. :)

Got in some new toys for the Red Sea. I've never owned anything from maxspect, surprisely the gyre build quality is really good and I love the fact that they include spare parts!

q1K8iA.jpg

For skimmer, I decided on the Nyos 160. I may have misjudged the size, it's huge and I'm hoping it isn't too overkill.

GWsJdW.jpg

As long as it fits in the sump, it's no overkill.

It would kill my budget, though. :lol: What are you getting for lighting?

A little jealous. I am wanting to do more film and this camera with touch focus and IBIS is crucial. Enjoy it! The Sony line is extremely fun.

Oh and your tank looks incredible. ;)

My order from B&H Photo arrived today. I got the Sony 6500 + Sony 35mm f/1.8 as "open box" with full warranty for a good deal, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 11:28 PM, Rehype said:

Love the new goodies....The Nyos looks too pretty to be tainted with skimmate lol

Yeah, I know! 

On 2/9/2017 at 11:37 PM, BattleAthletics said:

Omg ive been following this forever and now your upgrading!! Hurry up!!

Hey man, what's up? 

Yeah, this will be slow.. 

On 2/10/2017 at 7:45 AM, DaveFason said:

A little jealous. I am wanting to do more film and this camera with touch focus and IBIS is crucial. Enjoy it! The Sony line is extremely fun.

Oh and your tank looks incredible. ;)

I'm still getting used to it.  I think, I much prefer the manual focus on my canon.  I'm much slower on the Sony.  

On 2/24/2017 at 1:19 PM, Christopher Marks said:

How's the new Red Sea Reefer project coming along?

How about the current tank? Post a new FTS from your new camera! :D 

I just picked up a new return pump for the Red Sea.  

The a6500 with the 35mm prime is nice! 

I can only shoot in jpeg because I have the older version of PS, which unfortunately doesn't support Sony RAW files.  I can't justify on subscribing to Adobe just to get supported updates.   

99DXOp.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
13 hours ago, Asureef said:

I'm still getting used to it.  I think, I much prefer the manual focus on my canon.  I'm much slower on the Sony.  

The a6500 with the 35mm prime is nice! 

I can only shoot in jpeg because I have the older version of PS, which unfortunately doesn't support Sony RAW files.  I can't justify on subscribing to Adobe just to get supported updates.   

You should download the *FREE* Adobe DNG convertor app for Windows or Mac: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html. It can convert your Sony RAW files to a universal DNG format that you'll be able to use in your older version of Photoshop or Lightroom. It's a handy workaround for those of us stuck on older versions.

Also, re: manual focusing, have you tried enabling Focus Peaking yet? That makes manual focusing a dream, it highlights the edges of what is in focus in your electronic viewfinder, so you can actually see the focus depth of field shift through the image as you adjust the lens.

9 hours ago, mpsti05 said:

Perfect return pump for that tank. Love mine on my reefer350, return manifold plumbed for a reactor and only using it at 30% I believe. 

Yeah, I started working on the plumbing today, but didn't finish because I have no clue what I'm doing.  :D

But, the plan is to have the M1 feed my chiller and possibly a reactor as well plus extra for whatever I decide on in the future.  

UaH1Jn.jpg

9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

You should download the *FREE* Adobe DNG convertor app for Windows or Mac: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html. It can convert your Sony RAW files to a universal DNG format that you'll be able to use in your older version of Photoshop or Lightroom. It's a handy workaround for those of us stuck on older versions.

Also, re: manual focusing, have you tried enabling Focus Peaking yet? That makes manual focusing a dream, it highlights the edges of what is in focus in your electronic viewfinder, so you can actually see the focus depth of field shift through the image as you adjust the lens.

Sweet, wish I knew that before I took some pics.  

BTW, the new FTS is up, possibly the last? 

And, yes, I lost some corals, threw out all the birds nest, and the SPS in the middle is bleached. :mellow:

And, yeah, I have 2 tangs in a 40g...lol

I added a blue star wrasse, but I can't seem to get a decent pic out of this 35mm lens.  I need a macro lens bad.

I'm still debating on rather I should keep the Sailfin.  I didn't do my research, but they get HUGE!

But, he's quite the character.  

Also, I have 2 potter's wrasse coming, that's if LiveAquaria will deliver.  They failed me last week.  

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Asureef said:

Potter's Wrasse.

Now comes the real challenge getting them to eat. 

6cvD1q.jpg

Beautiful wrasse!  Are they a mated pair?  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update on the Potter's wrasse.  I ended up losing both of them.  I lost the first one within a week and the other 2 days after.  I never got them to eat, so I figured that was the reason why they perished, but I was wrong.  I contacted LA to inform them I lost the fish.  Honestly, I didn't ask for any kind of reimbursement, as I felt the fault was my own.  LA responded back with a full refund. :huh:

Last weekend, I purchased 3 green chromis and a Purple tang.  Within a day or 2, the chromis started to drop one by one.  I lost them all within one week, except for the purple tang.  Honestly, I didn't spend much time as I should've observing them.  After a day of losing all the chromis, I noticed my purple tang wasn't eating and was being reclusive and would swim towards the powerhead.  After all the years of being in the hobby, this was something I've never dealt with before.  In fact, I've been guilty of throwing fish straight into the display and not have any issues.  But, my 40g system is overstocked as is.  So, a 20 gallon quarantine was set up months in advance for stocking my Red Sea system.  Anyhow, the purple tang broke badly a few days ago.  Trying to save this beautiful fish, I googled right away and concluded the symptoms coincided what seems to be "Marine Velvet".   Knowing how fast velvet kills, I took action immediately.  I removed the tang and did a 5min. fresh water dip, 50% water change, and dosed Cupramine to proper lvl.  After having this experience, I realized how paramount having a quarantine really is.  Imagine if this hit my display, the thought of losing my clownfish and sunburst which I've had for over 6yrs?   

For those just now getting into the hobby or thinking about new stock, please consider quarantining first.  It doesn't take much and you don't even need a 20g, a 10g will work.  You can buy a basic starter kit for less than $80 and have it ready within 2wks.  Anyways, the purple tang has recovered and looking great today.  Below photos are before the treatment and 3 days after.  

Before

6ZAgLo.jpg

After

I0RMpL.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the loss of the wrasse, those were beautiful fish. :( 

I'm glad you save your purple Tang in time.  Years ago I lost a clownfish to marine velvet, that thing kills so fast...

1 minute ago, J-Ranko said:

Sorry to hear about the loss of the wrasse, those were beautiful fish. :( 

I'm glad you save your purple Tang in time.  Years ago I lost a clownfish to marine velvet, that thing kills so fast...

Yes, I really wanted those wrasse too.  Maybe try again some other time. 

And yeah, velvet is a killer.  Some fishs are less likely to show any symptoms (ie: wrasse) and this is my first experience with it.  

I'm also glad I saved the tang in time, I've decided I will keep one tang in my new tank and that's gonna be the Purple. :)

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hey @Asureef is the 40 gallon still going? Maybe that wasn't the last FTS after all? ;)

How's the new build coming along?

It was.  The Red Sea 350 has been up and running since last Monday.  The swap took longer than I expected.  I think, starting fresh would've been a lot easier.  I ended up losing some SPS, the pieces that did make it lost a lot of color.  I broke my scape into 3 parts for transfer, the left side holding the large monti caps and digi. broke in my arms and fell to the floor.. :scarry:

All the corals on it broke into a million pieces lol.  I think, those caps needed a refresh anyway.  Even though I had about 40-50lbs of live rock curing in a bin for months, I ended up not using any.  After, putting everything in the new tank, I really liked it.  The scape is really open with a lot of room for fish and corals to grow.  You really can't see from the FTS shot but top view it looks great!  

K7aqdz.jpg

• Like 9