Cultivated Reef

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

Did the driver help you get it off the truck? I ask because Fedex Freight called me Friday to schedule delivery this Wednesday. When I gave the supervisor my address, he asked how I planned to get it off the truck and said the truck would have one driver who wasn't being paid to unload the shipment.

BS, my fedex guy loaded it off the truck and then I made him drag it 50ft to my garage.

Asureef, did you use any type of foam or padding underneath your tank between the glass and the stand?

Nope, why are you suppose to? .. :D

BS, my fedex guy loaded it off the truck and then I made him drag it 50ft to my garage.

Nope, why are you suppose to? .. :D

I e-mailed Eddie about the foam and he said that some of his customers use it, some of them don't. It's usually to protect the stand from damage. He said it's not required.

I've read in a lot of forums that the foam idea is to protect the rimless tank from pressure points or irregularities in the surface of your stand. The tank doesn't have a rim to disperse the weight, so literally the entire glass panel is supporting all 400lbs or so of water and therefore one focus point in the glass can cause it to crack.

I've actually NEVER read of any one having a rimless tank break from this but I bought a 8$ yoga mat (thin but padded) and cut it to the layout of the top of the stand. I then trimmed the excess mat off of the sides once the tank was in place.

I e-mailed Eddie about the foam and he said that some of his customers use it, some of them don't. It's usually to protect the stand from damage. He said it's not required.

I've read in a lot of forums that the foam idea is to protect the rimless tank from pressure points or irregularities in the surface of your stand. The tank doesn't have a rim to disperse the weight, so literally the entire glass panel is supporting all 400lbs or so of water and therefore one focus point in the glass can cause it to crack.

I've actually NEVER read of any one having a rimless tank break from this but I bought a 8$ yoga mat (thin but padded) and cut it to the layout of the top of the stand. I then trimmed the excess mat off of the sides once the tank was in place.

Good point.

• Big shout out to
Aquarium Specialty for going above and beyond with customer service. Got my new bulbs in today, which wasn't expected until next week. Payment hasn't even been cleared!

-Thanks, Kelly!

img6721cc.jpg

FTS with fixture prs :)

Soon...

Here's a few more macros,

One of my fav. strawberry fields acro,

img6660cc.jpg

Another fav. don't know what it is as I got it as a freebie.

Thought it was another aqua-delight frag at first, but after a closer look, I'm thinking tenuis?

Either way, it's got color tones all over the board.

img6689cc.jpg

Pink lemonade, this one is close to the sand bed. I have another frag up higher, which is yellow.

img6638cc.jpg

Think I'm on my 3rd wave of algae, GHA! I'm getting spots everywhere. How many pods can you guys spot? :)

img6685cc.jpg

• Like 1

And also could you possibly make a good photo thats color accurate? I'm going with the (basically) same bulb combo on a future build and wanna see how the colors look

prs n thx! :lol:

3 or 4.Theres a contest going on in photo of the month for pods.This picture looks great you should enter.

There's 5 if you count the guy in the background. The little thing in the middle looks to be a piece of mysis

Nice pictures. Your SPS always look so healthy. Is that really GHA?

Thanks, I got bit by the SPS bug and yes it is GHA.

wow ... just ...wow :o

I know, it's gonna look amazing once it starts to grow out. I got that piece from SunnyX

And also could you possibly make a good photo thats color accurate? I'm going with the (basically) same bulb combo on a future build and wanna see how the colors look

prs n thx! :lol:

Currently running 3x ATI blue+, purple+, and 2x KZ new gen. This combo is crisp white, bluish from a far. I like this combo better makes corals look amazing, 4x blue plus+, KZ new gen, KZ fiji purple.

It's a bit difficult to get a accurate white balance, the photos always come out more bluish than it really looks. I have to tone it down quite a bit in post processing.

If you are using dry base rock.. where is the GHA coming from? I don't get it.. not to mention you have a fuge which should really be sucking nutrients up to the point where nuisance algae shouldn't be growing.

Hmmmmmmmm??

If you are using dry base rock.. where is the GHA coming from? I don't get it.. not to mention you have a fuge which should really be sucking nutrients up to the point where nuisance algae shouldn't be growing.

Hmmmmmmmm??

I believe it's coming from the rock. All the build up from the initial cycle that doesn't get processed by the bacteria gets build up in the rock. Which is now slowly feeding the algae bloom. Just my theory anyway, as I could find no other explanation. Phosphate is undetectable with Hanna meter and I change out GFO once po4 hits .02/.03ppm & carbon every two weeks. From my understanding, that reading is still considerably low. Low enough where it's keeping my chaeto from thriving, as it has actually decreased in size and parts of it have started to die off.

So, I finally got around to mounting some corals today and have come to realize that I have way too many SPS for this tank. I wanted to avoid the cluttered look with this build, yet that's exactly what it may end up looking "cluttered".

Also, I've been thinking about adding some extra flow, not that the 2x mp10 aren't doing a good job. But, with the way the rock is aquascaped and that big overflow in the middle, there's a lack of flow behind the rock work. I've mounted some SPS behind there also. So, I'm really considering adding 2x tunze 6015 or maybe just add a third mp10. Run 2x mp10 behind the wall and one on the side?

Oh, for those interested, check the front page.

Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Asureef

Damn another MP10 will be killer and expensive. Why not just a small powerhead with a loc-line kinda like this http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-14-Sys.../Loc-Line-41479

Of Course black color, You could burrow it in the sandbed and it will provide multiple shots to keep detritus in the water column and adds some extra currents behind the rock. Its just like a closed loop without drilling the tank.

If you could just frill the overflow and toss the powerhead inside with the nozzles in the outside will be a lot cleaner.

By the way, looked at the FTS and it does look cluttered, Now I'm sending you my address so you can ship me whatever you think is taking too much space :lol:

Edited by sammy113
Damn another MP10 will be killer and expensive. Why not just a small powerhead with a loc-line kinda like this http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-14-Sys.../Loc-Line-41479

Of Course black color, You could burrow it in the sandbed and it will provide multiple shots to keep detritus in the water column and adds some extra currents behind the rock. Its just like a closed loop without drilling the tank.

If you could just frill the overflow and toss the powerhead inside with the nozzles in the outside will be a lot cleaner.

By the way, looked at the FTS and it does look cluttered, Now I'm sending you my address so you can ship me whatever you think is taking too much space :lol:

I think that would be nice implemented on a larger tank. Anyway, I tried two mp10 on one side to see how the flow would be. I had one on the back wall and one on the side. The flow wasn't as I hoped it would be, without the corals getting blasted with direct flow. I think I will just go with the Tunze, that way I can have control with the direction of the flow.

As for the corals, pick what you like (j/k). I've already planned to donate a few SPS frags to the local club.

Showing off the new arrivals I got in today, a pink/purple Pocillopora, tyree sunset, and a setosa. I swear, I'm done with SPS. Time to work on some fillers, some colorful ricordea & zoas.

unled1ccq.jpg

Why not place your current mp10s on the sides? Wouldn't that give you more than enough flow everywhere?

EDIT: derp, actually looked at the front page after posting that^ idea -_- (For some reason, I thought you had them on the back wall)

Looks great!

Edited by iDream

Showing off the new arrivals I got in today, a pink/purple Pocillopora, tyree sunset, and a setosa. I swear, I'm done with SPS. Time to work on some fillers, some colorful ricordea & zoas.

unled1ccq.jpg

Wow, those look awesome. Did you mail order them and if so, where? Thanks.