inTank Media Baskets

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

57 minutes ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Following along for the ride 

50 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Tank looks amazing! Not sure how I missed this tank but amazing work on everything so far. 

Yep, I don’t post as often anymore.  

But, she went into the tank and I’m surprised she didn’t dive right into the sand.  She’s checking out her new surrounding.   My purple tang is already showing her who’s boss of the tank.  I’m hoping she doesn’t get too aggressive with the new comer.  

I give you you guys a hint, she’s a wrasse and she’s Aussie! 

B)

Here’s what my Monti got to at one point.  

HEe2WZ.jpg

• Like 3
Just now, Tamberav said:

Beautiful tank and lovely fish, hope he lives a long long long time! Great photos!

I really hope so too, fingers crossed...

He didn’t eat today, but was picking all day at the rocks and Sand bed.  He gets pretty nervous around my purple tang.  But, I did get to feed him at the fish store, so I know he will take frozen.  

Christopher Marks
On 3/4/2018 at 7:19 PM, Asureef said:

It’s been a while, I figured I’d jump in here right quick.  The tank has been doing great for the past few months.  I’ll throw in some better update pics here soon.  

This one probably looks crappy as it’s a screen shot of a video I just took.  But it was shot purely under actinic with my iPhone using a Aquariclip.  Btw, I ripped every single Monti apart in the left rock and re did the whole thing.  Looking like they’re make a good come back. I think I threw away nearly 3lbs worth of montipora, it was looking funky.  Lol

dbm7Mg.jpg

Welcome back @Asureef!!!

That new fish is absolutely incredible :o 

• Thanks 1

Well, Looks like my hawkins on its way out for good this time.  My sunset & rainbow monti have been fighting, all that mucus got onto the hawkins. I didn't think anything of it for a few days, until I tried to get it off and some of the hawkins tissue was coming off as well.  

SsQJgf.jpg

Here's a few more fish photos, not bad for a non macro lens. 

My blue star has grown A LOT, she's bigger than the Lennardi. 

L2McRy.jpg

New guy, still pretty active.  Loves bloodworms, blackworms, and still spitting out brine/mysis.  He's starting to stay up late now. At first, he was going to bed early at 6PM everyday and now he stays up till 8:30PM.  

V1JXgq.jpg

This guy is hard to photograph, this is probably my best one of him.  

RkYJVT.jpg

• Like 5

I've been feeding blackworms to my Lennardi wrasse and noticed that not only did he loved them, but also all my other fishes go crazy for them as well.   So, I figured, why not try to culture them myself so I could stop buying them every week.  I mean, it's just worms, can't be that hard right?  ..:scarry:

Setup seems pretty basic from what little research I've done, no heater required, just airtone, gravel, water... I had to order a sponge filter, surprised no retail carries them around here, not even petsmart..

So, my setup is pretty basic with a container with about 4-5inches of ro/di water and I used some zeolites I had left over from running zeovit for gravel.  

gFpbtO.jpg

7yEkYN.jpg

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

Amazing setup!! I am envious of your wrasse collection! I love blue star’s! Once I get my 180 going I am planning on getting 3-5. Your corals look wonderful as well! 

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Amazing setup!! I am envious of your wrasse collection! I love blue star’s! Once I get my 180 going I am planning on getting 3-5. Your corals look wonderful as well! 

Yeah, I got her when she was about 1inch big.  

21 hours ago, --chris-- said:

What's the protocol with growing worms?  

This is my first go, seems like all you'll need is a holding tank or container, gravel, and airstone /sponge filter.  I'm going to try feeding mines fish food twice a week, doing 1gallon water changes daily until everything's properly cycled.  

I also have a small batch I keep in the fridge for feeding, they can last weeks in the fridge without food.  Clean, highly nutritious, and great for finicky eaters. 

Probably the most I've ever paid for a single frag.   Here's my SC Orange Passion, roughly 10 months worth of growth.  It spent most of the time growing on my sand bed, then I finally mounted it and it took off!  

UEjMzk.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
On 3/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, Asureef said:

Here’s the new guy.  I still can’t get over how stunning this fish is IRL.  Even under my T5 he just pops.

SXTnPy.jpg

Bnc38y.jpg

absolutely stunning! what a gem

• Thanks 1
blizzardscout2

WOW, that wrasse is stunning along with your tank!

Have you had any issues with your converted RO container fuge clogging from Chaeto or do you have a screen?

• Thanks 1

Totally forgot about my worms, until this arrived today.  I went to check on the container and thought I killed them all!!  :scarry:

Nope, just dug in the gravel.  

8d0K7k.jpg

twGwE7.jpg

On 4/12/2018 at 7:44 AM, DaveFason said:

Late to the game but your new wrasse. Incredible man. Are you in RDU? I would love to check this tank out! 

Thanks. I'm closer to CLT.

13 hours ago, d_adler said:

absolutely stunning! what a gem

11 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

WOW, that wrasse is stunning along with your tank!

Have you had any issues with your converted RO container fuge clogging from Chaeto or do you have a screen?

Honestly, I haven't done any type of maintenance on it besides pruning some chaeto.  I'm using one of those Lifegard Aquatics low profile screen for the outlet, no clog, no overflow yet.  fingerscrossed

This is about all the lennardi do all day, picking at the sand.  

KPoZHy.gif

• Like 6
blizzardscout2

Wrasses and anthias, whats not to like? I could watch that all day. I may if you don't mind copy your algae fuge. I really like the way you did that.

• Like 1
HarryPotter
9 hours ago, Asureef said:

Totally forgot about my worms, until this arrived today.  I went to check on the container and thought I killed them all!!  :scarry:

Nope, just dug in the gravel.  

8d0K7k.jpg

twGwE7.jpg

Thanks. I'm closer to CLT.

Honestly, I haven't done any type of maintenance on it besides pruning some chaeto.  I'm using one of those Lifegard Aquatics low profile screen for the outlet, no clog, no overflow yet.  fingerscrossed

This is about all the lennardi does all day, picking at the sand.  

KPoZHy.gif

Wow, beautiful! I just picked up a cheap SC OP at reefapalooza. If mine looks similar to yours in ten months I would be thrilled!

bnmoytn.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Wow, beautiful! I just picked up a cheap SC OP at reefapalooza. If mine looks similar to yours in ten months I would be thrilled!

bnmoytn.jpg

That’s a chunky piece! 

Yeah, they’re starting to come down on price.  I have a WD too, but it’s been just meh.. 

10 hours ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Wrasses and anthias, whats not to like? I could watch that all day. I may if you don't mind copy your algae fuge. I really like the way you did that.

Go for it.  What size Reefer do you have? 

Finally got my IceCap Salinity Pocket tester.  

lqZy5i.jpg

I was a little disappointed at first, testing it against the calibration solution, it was quite off.  

hkal53.jpg

Going by instruction, measuring several times using the included cup for sample water, it was still really quite off(1.020-1.024) 

So, I decided to dip it straight into the tank and the results were spot on with my Milwaukee.  I measured several times through out the day, the results were pretty consistent, 1.026-1.027 temp. at 77.5F..  This is gonna make testing my make-up water for water changes effortless.  Dip & raise, done!  One thing I hated using a refractormeter & Milwaukee was they both needed calibrating every time.   

vdu0RZ.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Why pay for reef viewing glasses when you can DIY!!  

I bought some filter sheets on amazon for like $12 to use with my camera/smartphone, they came in 2x 12x12 so I had plenty to play with.  

Used a old pair of cinema 3d glasses, pulled the lens off'em.  

I know the clarity sucks in the photo, but IRL it's insane!!

w464Pd.jpg

JwSvZp.jpg

• Like 3