Top Shelf Aquatics

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 8:04 AM, 4x5 said:

Sorry to hear about the Acro troubles. It sucks when it seems to come out of nowhere (which seems to often be the case) and it really isn't fun losing old corals. Beautiful pictures though, I love your fish selection. How do you like the Bartlett's Anthias? I'm looking to add some more "schooling" fish to my tank but am not interested in the more fragile Anthias, regardless of how beautiful they are - they are just too stressful. :lol: 

Thanks.  I did some dipping after a water change, dipped every single acro and no flat worms or eggs from what I could tell.  Maybe I got lucky, I added 2 SPS frags 2 days before I found the flat worm.   Possible I got stupid lucky, caught it on time before it got the chance to lay eggs.  

The Barlett's I love.  I actually tried 3 queens before and failed.  I did 2x Barletts in my 40g for almost a year, decided to do 4x in my Red Sea and of course 3 turned male.   They're hardy and eat like pigs.  

M2WQ0U.jpg

On 8/2/2017 at 8:22 AM, ninjamyst said:

Good luck with the fight on aefw.  Those yellow palys at the bottom are amazing. 

I know, fast grower too.  

• Like 4

Bryopsis algae is exploding in my tank.  Instead of doing the "Tech M" dosing, figured I'd give this a try (Fluconazole).

3 days in, the algae tips are turning white.  Hopefully, it continues. 

lR1fBM.jpg

• Like 4
On 8/10/2017 at 11:16 PM, Christopher Marks said:

That's great news it's already showing progress! Fluconazole is really quite a discovery, let us know how the treatment goes for you. Those Barlett's are stunning!

Seriously, much cheaper than over dosing with Tech-M. 

7 days in

NhcMlJ.jpg

This chaeto must be doing a fine job, I still have undetectable po4.  

uCC043.jpg

• Like 4

Take it easy mate! I also found some aefw in my tank this year but still bashing through the hedgerow. If I can do it, so can you. Your tank has been an inspiration to us. Dont give up k!

Anyway any luck on explaining how you mount ur mini refugiem on your sump?

Sorry to hear about the AEFW's dude, I know flatworms can be a pain. I've never had AEFW (thank god) but I'm currently fighting of Red Planaria Flatworms. I killed off the adults in the first treatments (they were localised to a few frogspawn corals) and I'm fighting off the juveniles now as they hatch. I've been using Salifert Flatworm Exit with really good results.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about AEFWs problem hope it's gets sorted as you have a stunning tank even after the move. Would it be possible to take a pic of your refugium plz.  how did u Plummer it all up and what are you using to get the water in to it? But also how did you stop the water coming out from the little nipple on the corner of the ATO? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 1:23 AM, RollaJase said:

Sorry to hear about the AEFW's dude, I know flatworms can be a pain. I've never had AEFW (thank god) but I'm currently fighting of Red Planaria Flatworms. I killed off the adults in the first treatments (they were localised to a few frogspawn corals) and I'm fighting off the juveniles now as they hatch. I've been using Salifert Flatworm Exit with really good results.

Coris or any wrasse will eat them up.  

On 9/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, Lynton said:

Sorry to hear about AEFWs problem hope it's gets sorted as you have a stunning tank even after the move. Would it be possible to take a pic of your refugium plz.  how did u Plummer it all up and what are you using to get the water in to it? But also how did you stop the water coming out from the little nipple on the corner of the ATO? 

Thanks.  I just finished off my 3rd round of dip today and also removed 50% of Chaeto.   I used CoralRX for the first time and I'm wondering is it supposed to be gel like liquid?  I'm just used to Revive.  

3/4" piping and Reef Octopus bulk heads w/Lifegard low profile strainers.  I have a Vectra M1 for return that's also feeding the chiller and refugium.  For the nipple, I just cut the original tubing and used the adjustable T valve that came with the Red Sea.  

8Q6SBA.jpg

I'm starting to get some color back on my Vivid Rainbow, it was a brown turd for a while.  

YTv3VD.jpg

Oh BTW, I'm bryopsis algae FREE! 

The Flucon not only cleared the bryopsis but some hair algae as well.  

• Like 9

Catching up.  Sorry about the AEFW but the dipping looks successful, I would be happy with just the rainbow in my tank and it looks to have survived well!  

Bryopsis is something I've never battled and I'm not sure how I missed it since I've had just about everything else. :)

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
16 hours ago, Asureef said:

That is awesome to hear! Flucon is quite a discovery for the hobby.

• Like 1
On 14/09/2017 at 3:45 AM, Asureef said:

Coris or any wrasse will eat them up.  

Thanks.  I just finished off my 3rd round of dip today and also removed 50% of Chaeto.   I used CoralRX for the first time and I'm wondering is it supposed to be gel like liquid?  I'm just used to Revive.  

3/4" piping and Reef Octopus bulk heads w/Lifegard low profile strainers.  I have a Vectra M1 for return that's also feeding the chiller and refugium.  For the nipple, I just cut the original tubing and used the adjustable T valve that came with the Red Sea.  

8Q6SBA.jpg

I'm starting to get some color back on my Vivid Rainbow, it was a brown turd for a while.  

YTv3VD.jpg

Oh oh ok so does it just slowly drip in to return then? That growth is great, that from the kessil still? 

On 9/17/2017 at 4:13 AM, Lynton said:

Oh oh ok so does it just slowly drip in to return then? That growth is great, that from the kessil still? 

Yeah, just a single kessil H80.  I know the hype right now is on high powered grow light, but my chaeto is growing just fine with these 16w light.  It's all healthy too, as I took it a part even the middle section was thick and green.  I have the flow through it going pretty slow as well.  

It's not dripping.  I installed 2x bulkheads, feed from the Vectra M1 and drains back into the sump.  

BMVeM1.jpg

On 9/19/2017 at 1:28 AM, Rehype said:

Hey bud the tank still looks fantastic. Are you still seeing any flatworms when you dip?

I've seen 2 come off when I dipped 2 colonies that made it from my old tank, this was 2 dips ago.  One of the colony RTN the next day.  

But, I haven't seen anything come off from my last dip session which was about a week ago.  I'm holding off for 2wks before I do another dip.  Fingers crossed.  :scarry:

BTW, how's your tank doing? 

Also, do these have a name? 

wor5bs.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/29/2017 at 7:06 PM, Asureef said:

So, I spent most of today messing around with my tank.  

I hope you guys are enjoying Memorial Day.  

Added a MP40, m

ug42pQ.jpg

Added a second cabinet and organized my equipment a little bit.  It's looking really clean.  

Al9maf.jpg

where did you get the cabinet from? I'm in the same situation where i need to find a equipment cabinet

On 24/09/2017 at 5:11 AM, Asureef said:

Yeah, just a single kessil H80.  I know the hype right now is on high powered grow light, but my chaeto is growing just fine with these 16w light.  It's all healthy too, as I took it a part even the middle section was thick and green.  I have the flow through it going pretty slow as well.  

It's not dripping.  I installed 2x bulkheads, feed from the Vectra M1 and drains back into the sump.  

BMVeM1.jpg

I've seen 2 come off when I dipped 2 colonies that made it from my old tank, this was 2 dips ago.  One of the colony RTN the next day.  

But, I haven't seen anything come off from my last dip session which was about a week ago.  I'm holding off for 2wks before I do another dip.  Fingers crossed.  :scarry:

BTW, how's your tank doing? 

Also, do these have a name? 

wor5bs.jpg

Oh ok so it turned right down so nothing comes out at all then? 

Well aslong at the kessil is doing job why change it...

On 9/24/2017 at 10:08 PM, d_adler said:

where did you get the cabinet from? I'm in the same situation where i need to find a equipment cabinet

Amazon.  I also hide all my cables and apex EB8 outlets back there, which you definitely don't wanna see.  It's a mess. :scarry:

On 9/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, Lynton said:

Oh ok so it turned right down so nothing comes out at all then? 

Well aslong at the kessil is doing job why change it...

Well, it's adjustable.  I have it closed so no water comes out.  

11 hours ago, Asureef said:

Amazon.  I also hide all my cables and apex EB8 outlets back there, which you definitely don't wanna see.  It's a mess. :scarry:

Ok thanks for the help

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

6 total dips and 2 weeks later, everything is doing very good, so I thought.  Until my prized acro showed signs of "RTN" on one of the branches.  Not exactly sure what caused it, could be a number of swings the tank was having.  Since the change of weather, tank temps have been dipping in the mid 70s.   I've been getting 4-5 degrees swing daily for the past week.  Couldn't figure it out, then I remember I never plugged up my second heater.. :scarry:  I'm using a 100w & 150w neo-therm, one being on was not enough.  On top of that, looks like I made my 2 parts solution a little too concentrated, that'd be my guess from the 8.2dkh jump to 9.0dkh in 2days.   

Also, have anyone used ATI ICP test?

It's been nearly 3wks since I shipped out the sample and have not heard anything back. I don't remember Triton taking this long.  :huh:

Mu8N4w.jpg

nOAUOG.jpg

• Like 4
On 9/26/2017 at 9:47 PM, Asureef said:

Link to the cabinet? 

• 4 months later...

It’s been a while, I figured I’d jump in here right quick.  The tank has been doing great for the past few months.  I’ll throw in some better update pics here soon.  

This one probably looks crappy as it’s a screen shot of a video I just took.  But it was shot purely under actinic with my iPhone using a Aquariclip.  Btw, I ripped every single Monti apart in the left rock and re did the whole thing.  Looking like they’re make a good come back. I think I threw away nearly 3lbs worth of montipora, it was looking funky.  Lol

dbm7Mg.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...