Top Shelf Aquatics

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

I just use the aluminum clamp to hold the nylon hose to the end of pvc. I used pvc cement and wedged the little pvc end into the thread as tight as possible, then I apply silicone around the edges. I move the sump around quite a bit while messing with the skimmer and haven't had a leak yet from the drain connection. Just hope what I did worked, cause I know very little about pluming. :)

So in your experience, the pvc cement can bond the pvc and nylon without problems?

So in your experience, the pvc cement can bond the pvc and nylon without problems?

No, I'm using a clamp to hold the nylon hose to the PVC end. The other PVC end goes into the bulkhead, there's no thread, that is where I applied cement.

Anyways, the tank has cycled, which makes it what a little over 3 weeks?

No, I'm using a clamp to hold the nylon hose to the PVC end. The other PVC end goes into the bulkhead, there's no thread, that is where I applied cement.

Is your bulkhead made of nylon or PVC? I got the "upgraded" version which is made of nylon. Wondering if the PVC cement would work between the PVC and nylon?

If possible, can you post a pic of your bulkhead?

Thanks.

Is your bulkhead made of nylon or PVC? I got the "upgraded" version which is made of nylon. Wondering if the PVC cement would work between the PVC and nylon?

If possible, can you post a pic of your bulkhead?

Thanks.

I think you mean the fittings are nylon.

img5969copyr.jpg

post-57547-1310567544_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much.

The red circle is where I had minor leak from, even though I applied silicone on it.(silicone has no bond between pvc and nylon bulkhead). I am going to buy some PVC cement this weekend.

I googled the best adhensive between pvc and nylon, some say epoxy works better, how do you think the pvc cement works here?

BTW: did you apply pvc cement to the green circle area?

Thanks so much.

The red circle is where I had minor leak from, even though I applied silicone on it.(silicone has no bond between pvc and nylon bulkhead). I am going to buy some PVC cement this weekend.

I googled the best adhensive between pvc and nylon, some say epoxy works better, how do you think the pvc cement works here?

BTW: did you apply pvc cement to the green circle area?

Silicone is meant to be use a sealant. On the threads, I used quite a bit of teflon and silicone on the gaskets wet & dry side of the bulkheads. Do you use a clamp on the nylon hose? If so, it should not be leaking. You might want to check for leaks on the bulkhead.

• Small update
  • TLF Phosban reactor added
  • Vortech MP10 added
  • Moonlight retrofit to T5
  • Livestock added. Picasso pair + Yellow assessor.
  • Corals added

img6034copy.jpg

img6043copy.jpg

Will be adding these two bad boys this week.

img56194.jpg

img5697copy.jpg

img5699copy.jpg

• Like 1
Nice scapping and great photo skill ,,, can you share what setting you use for taking tank picture and fish with 40D ?

thx,

It varies, it changes depending on lighting, focus length, etc... but, I usually like my photos brightly lit. :)

looks incredible

Thanks man! And, congrats on your TOTM. It looks amazing by the way, I couldn't believe it was only 20g. I still have a little more saving to do for my item list, which consist of a second MP10, tunze ato, tunze silence pump, and a chiller. <_< Then, I'll start stocking up on corals.

Silicone is meant to be use a sealant. On the threads, I used quite a bit of teflon and silicone on the gaskets wet & dry side of the bulkheads. Do you use a clamp on the nylon hose? If so, it should not be leaking. You might want to check for leaks on the bulkhead.

Thanks. I had the clamp on the nylon hose. The leak indeed is from the bulkhead, between the bulkhead and the grey PVC pipe. I think this is where you applied the PVC cement. Since the bulkhead is made of nylon, some people say the PVC cement wont work well there. But from your experience, I think it should be fine.

Thanks. I had the clamp on the nylon hose. The leak indeed is from the bulkhead, between the bulkhead and the grey PVC pipe. I think this is where you applied the PVC cement. Since the bulkhead is made of nylon, some people say the PVC cement wont work well there. But from your experience, I think it should be fine.

Hmm... it worked for me. No leak yet.

Update

• I was doing a little maintenance on my new tank and noticed something tiny jumping around in the corner. I thought they were some type of hydroids at first, but they move and swim like ..... a jellyfish? I don't know how they entered my tank, as the tank is pretty new. Every coral I moved over from my other tank have been dip in Revive, which I tested and it does kill them. So, other than that, the only thing that came from an outside source was the cleaner crew & chaeto. I never noticed them in my other tanks. I think, I pulled about 30 of them out today.

img6155cc.jpg

img6144cc.jpg

img6141cc.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

fantastic asu!

those jelly shots are indeed amazing. i love the scape too. did you find it hard to negotiate that overflow box? also glad to know im not a plumbing idiot, but that the stock plumbing kit really is chit. i just had to replace the return bulkhead about a month ago.

Wow those jellies are awesome! Nice photography....what camera/lens are you using btw?

Thanks! Using a Canon 40D w 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Evil

Not really. Some good comes out of it.

unled1cc.jpg

fantastic asu!

those jelly shots are indeed amazing. i love the scape too. did you find it hard to negotiate that overflow box? also glad to know im not a plumbing idiot, but that the stock plumbing kit really is chit. i just had to replace the return bulkhead about a month ago.

I don't mind the overflow box, though I wonder how the flow will be once I get my second mp10 in this week. I hope they work well on the back wall, because it looks nice. I bought some black acrylic and cut them to fit over the overflow, no light no algae right? What went wrong with your stock bulkhead?

I was wondering where did you get the ammonium chloride?

It's free when you order the one & only bacteria in a bottle from Dr. Tim's.

A few new pics..

Male clownfish that likes to attack algae pad.

dojf.jpg

Sun coral after feeding w/ mysis

sun2v.jpg

sun3f.jpg

Rainbow monti.

rainbowmcc.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

:eek:

what kinda good? great macro shot.

to me the overflow box is too large, i wished it had a slimmer profile. ultimately, i wished id had eddie put an external on it. i still need to make a cover for mine.

the return bulkhead was always a problem, i was never able to get the blue pvc fitting thread into it cleanly and it always had a minor leak. after enough fidgeting with it to try and get it to seal the nyon inner section of the bulkhead cracked.

im curious to see how well it works putting the mp10's on the back as well. i agree it does look much better. ive been running mine on a short pulse mode, so i prefer the flow i get from it on the side. it creates a great surge/fast wave action.

• Like 1

Nice pictures. How the 60mm 2.8 macro working out?

I've been thinking of picking up a macro lens for my 60D and wasnt too sure on how the 60mm would work out. Pictures with a 17-40 F4L don't turn out to be too great, lol.