SaltCritters.com

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

rmelendez001

Hey... nice setup! love the pics but... guess you already know from all the other comments lol... I noticed the red bugs on the acro pic are you planning to use interceptor or just revive dips to erradicate them?

Nice pictures. How the 60mm 2.8 macro working out?

I've been thinking of picking up a macro lens for my 60D and wasnt too sure on how the 60mm would work out. Pictures with a 17-40 F4L don't turn out to be too great, lol.

I've been using it for 4yrs, my fav. macro. Used to have a Canon Mpe 65mm, but it didn't see much use. I also owned the 100mm macro from canon, but I find it's to long for my taste. The only other macro lens I would want is the Sigma 150mm macro.

Hey... nice setup! love the pics but... guess you already know from all the other comments lol... I noticed the red bugs on the acro pic are you planning to use interceptor or just revive dips to erradicate them?

I had the acro for about four weeks. I dip it in Revive once a week for 3 weeks and haven't noticed any red bugs since. I think with any treatment, you will need to repeat, as they will only kill the adults and not the eggs.

:eek:

what kinda good? great macro shot.

to me the overflow box is too large, i wished it had a slimmer profile. ultimately, i wished id had eddie put an external on it. i still need to make a cover for mine.

the return bulkhead was always a problem, i was never able to get the blue pvc fitting thread into it cleanly and it always had a minor leak. after enough fidgeting with it to try and get it to seal the nyon inner section of the bulkhead cracked.

im curious to see how well it works putting the mp10's on the back as well. i agree it does look much better. ive been running mine on a short pulse mode, so i prefer the flow i get from it on the side. it creates a great surge/fast wave action.

I would use short pulse, but I hate the noise. I always run mines in Lagoon, which is purple, I think.

bananahands

Small update

[*] TLF Phosban reactor added

[*] Vortech MP10 added

[*] Moonlight retrofit to T5

[*] Livestock added. Picasso pair + Yellow assessor.

[*] Corals added

How did you retrofit moonlights to your sunpower? I have the same light and have been trying to figure out some way to do that.

Thanks!

How did you retrofit moonlights to your sunpower? I have the same light and have been trying to figure out some way to do that.

Thanks!

Yeah, 2x moonlight led + driver from Rapid LED. It was under $25 and I also bought the berquist thermal pad, so no drilling needed. Although, I did ended up drilling a tiny hole on the cord end for the power wire. I think it looks great, not too bright, not too dim.

Note, I am terrible at soldering and these leds distorts the camera badly.

img5981cc.jpg

img6171cc.jpg

Sweet! I'll have to look into this kit. Although, I'm completely inexperienced with just about anything to do with wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

Scored some sweet frags during the weekend at the local swap. Came home with a yellow tenuis, neon tip tenuis, green slimer, tri-color, red planet acro., and a monti. undata. All for $60, not bad at all! One reason why you should support your local reef club.

Just a couple shots,

Green slimer

img6218cc.jpg

img6219cc.jpg

Undata

img6226cc.jpg

Been dosing zeo coral snow 2x a week, it's putting my skimmer to work, look at that dark skimmate!

img6195cc.jpg

Rabidgerbil38

I love this build, the cabinet is so clean its like a lab down there! Those macro shots are awesome too; they make me wanna get another job so I can get my own faster :P

awesome build my friend. Very clean! keep an eye on those red bugs. I tried revive (a few dips) to eradicate it but didn't worked. They appeared again till I went with interceptor. Once a week for 3 weeks was enough. Pics are incredible!

• 2 weeks later...
awesome build my friend. Very clean! keep an eye on those red bugs. I tried revive (a few dips) to eradicate it but didn't worked. They appeared again till I went with interceptor. Once a week for 3 weeks was enough. Pics are incredible!

Thanks!

Revive will work, but won't kill the eggs, that's why I dipped once or twice a week till I no longer see them. Interceptor is a totally different treatment, it's good if you have a mass infection.

So with the macro L so far away, gave in to the 60mm for now. Arrives Thursday. :)

Sweet, I hope it works well for you.

Well, I knew something was terribly wrong when I didn't see my beloved wrasse out and about when I got home from work earlier today. I fed him before leaving, and came home to find him on the floor, behind the stand. The sad part is, I knew it would happen.

img6309cc.jpg

I'm open to suggestions on a replacement fish. I could use one or two more fishes.

Quick update

Scored some sweet frags during the weekend at the local swap. Came home with a yellow tenuis, neon tip tenuis, green slimer, tri-color, red planet acro., and a monti. undata. All for $60, not bad at all! One reason why you should support your local reef club.

Just a couple shots,

Green slimer

img6218cc.jpg

img6219cc.jpg

Undata

img6226cc.jpg

Been dosing zeo coral snow 2x a week, it's putting my skimmer to work, look at that dark skimmate!

img6195cc.jpg

EWWW lol

Mandarin! Can't wait for mine! Just not a priority ATM... lol

Always wanted one too. I don't think my tanks ready for it, though I have tons of pods in the sump. Just don't see them in the display because the mystery wrasse was always actively hunting them down.

That's a bummer man! Mystery wrasses are one of my favorite!

If you can try and get another!

haha .. thought about it, my LFS actually have two in stock and both are priced competitive to online without the shipping. But, if I do get another, I'm sure it will end up being another $100 fish down the drain. Before the mystery wrasse, I lost a Helfrichi Firefish, which never made it to the display tank. He jumped while in quarantine.

• 2 weeks later...
This is one of my all-time favorite nanos! :happy: Do you have an updated FTS we could see? Your SPS colors (and photography) are amazing!

Thank you!

The tank's barely three months, so there's not a whole lot to see. Ask me again in a few months .. lol

Corals are pretty much randomly placed, I haven't had time to figure out where to place them in their permanent spot yet. The tank just got done with it's algae cycle. It looked terrible for about 2 weeks with dino & cyano, but they're totally gone now and coralline growth has been great for such a new tank. :)

Also, my skimmer went out, impeller broke!! So, I've been skimmer-less for the past few days, but I have a replacement impeller on order should be arriving any day now. And, I have two new fishes currently in quarantine. :D

Here's a tease,

img6373cc.jpg

img6375cc.jpg

img6384cc.jpg

img6362cc.jpg

This is a tiny piece that broke off the tip of a acro. valida frag. I usually throw them away, but decided to glue it down and see what happen.

img6333cc.jpg

4 weeks later

img6376cc.jpg

regarding the red bugs...interceptor really worked great for me. Those guys spread pretty fast so all your smooth skin acros are going to be infected soon. I just dosed interceptor on my display twice and the problem was solved. Didn't even kill most of the pods and my mandarin survived..

if you're planning on getting one though I'd wait until after you dose interceptor and the pod population has totally recovered..