Coral Vue Hydros

310 gallon Coldwater System

AquaticEngineer

I've been so busy the past couple months I've hardly had time for nr, and I hadn't been keeping up on this thread, but the progression of your tank has been amazing! Congrats, and good luck as it matures!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

I thought I would test out my auto feeder on the big tank and I hooked up one of the 2 liter bottles with live phyto and tigroprius californicus growing in it on the feed line.

I stuck a waterproof LED strip light into the bottle so the phyto could keep growing and I set the dosing pump to feed every hour for 10 second intervals from 6am until 10pm. It takes about 2 days to get the 2 liter bottle down to where I need to swap it out, but it leaves enough phyto and pods still in bottom of the of the bottle ( about a cup of liquid) that I can refill it with more new water and let it grow out again.

I have seven 2 liter bottles going now and a couple larger plastic jugs for mother colonies.

AquaticEngineer
How did it work????

Seems to be working just fine, everything doses in as it should, I just dont know if the concentration of phyto and tigs is high enough to justify using the auto feeder. I'll probably just dose oyster feast through the feeder since it absolutley needs to be refrigerated, and I'm just going to set up a drip system for the phyto/pods since they grow just fine at most temperatures, especially out in the garage.

What is the make and model of your peristaltic pump, and where did you get it? I want to set up an auto feeder, and other equipment that needs peristaltic pumps, so I'm looking around. (I know you probably got them free in some way I can't reproduce, but I thought I'd ask anyway :) )

AquaticEngineer

My dosing pumps are Beta DR 2000's, I scored the pair of them on ebay shipped for $72.

I also finally bought a 1/2" slip by slip venturi valve to replace The john guest fitting on the feeder.

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to get rock. EVER.

How much did it cost? I am looking for a way to get "marine club" members at my school to set up aquariums for very cheap prices.

AquaticEngineer
Best way to get rock. EVER.

How much did it cost? I am looking for a way to get "marine club" members at my school to set up aquariums for very cheap prices.

I think I could do it again with about 20 cans of spray foam. They were $4.39 a can, and the epoxy paint I'm sure I could find for under $15 since I know how much I would need this go around. Rock salt I bought for $7.38 for a 50lb bag.

Other than those three supplys you'll need spare clothes, a good set of rubber gloves, an outdoor space, and some spare time.

AquaticEngineer

New pics, mostly of my fluffy sculpins since I was trying to take a couple good pics to show the males clasping fin.

Everybody loves photo updates right ;)

PB110014.jpg

PB110047.jpg

PB110046.jpg

PB110045.jpg

PB110044.jpg

PB110036.jpg

PB110035.jpg

PB110030.jpg

PB110029.jpg

PB110027.jpg

PB110026.jpg

PB110022.jpg

PB110016.jpg

AquaticEngineer

So over the weekend I upgraded my skimmer from the stock one that came on the lobster tank to an SWC Xtreme HOB and stuck it on the side of the lobster tank. That gave me some extra room in the back of the lobster tank after I removed the skimmer that fit in there, so I put in an Algae Scrubber setup.

Guess we will see how it goes :D

AquaticEngineer

Here is the lobster tank I am using as my "sump" for the 200 gallon main display tank. You can see the window behind the tank.

IMG_20111122_171921.jpg

Here's a closer pic of the opening to the filtration area where the ATS is housed. You can see just the top of it in the pic.

IMG_20111122_172232.jpg

Here's a top down pic looking at the back filtration area where the ATS is.

IMG_20111122_171953.jpg

IMG_20111122_172020.jpg

Pic of the ball valve to adjust the flow rate, and the union so I can pull the hole thing out.

IMG_20111122_172142.jpg

Used a spare piece of PVC to brace the capped off end so that when it gets coverd in algae it doesn't put stress on the joints.

IMG_20111122_172159.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

I was out in the garage working on the tanks and I noticed that one of my aggregating anemones is dividing on its own :D

Its all stretched out and elongated currently, I'll snap a photo of it doing its thing and then a photo onces its split and show you guys.

Thought that was kind of cool to see happening, didnt know if anyone else has had luck with them self replicating.

AquaticEngineer

Aggregating Anemone (Anthopleura elegantissima) Dividing by itself, and almost seperated. Looks like they are starting a little colony of their own awwwww. :wub:

IMG_20111215_231450.jpg

AquaticEngineer
Very cool tank! It must be nice to just walk down to the tide pools to find stuff.

It'll be better when I can dive out and find stuff.

Until then though, the tidepools and bays have given me plenty of surprises that I didn't expect so I'm pretty happy. :D

Archived