inTank Media Baskets

310 gallon Coldwater System

AquaticEngineer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer
Wow that looks awesome! Definitely one of if not the best looking foam rock wall tanks i have seen yet. What are your stocking plans? sorry if I missed it at the beginning of the thread i just went straight to the sweet pics lol

edit: I looked at the stocking plans and this tank is going to be amazing!

Upper right hand shelf area of the tank will be packed with Giant Green Anemones and spot lighted with a dimmable par38. That will create a large shadow underneath it where I will keep most of my gorgonians, and other non photosynthetic inverts.

There will be barnacle columns a few places covered with corynactis and leading up to the barnacles I put into the background to hide the returns of the closed loop.

Far left hand side of foam rocks with be dominated in the upper areas by Aggregating anemones, also lit be a dimmable par38. Again, that will give me a shaded area under the rock ledges that will have corynactis near the barnacles, and some areas with colonies of Fringed Tube Worms.

There will be a thin natural sand bottom that will have several different species of sand dwelling anemones. I left the large open space in the middle on purpose so I can try some different species of tall kelp coming up from the sand bed to the surface. The kelp will be lit with a 50w LED I made a while ago, and focused with a 30 degree optic so I can get all the light going down at the kelp and not onto the sides of the tank or the rock structures.

Ummm, what else......oh yeah, blah blah blah, giant closed loop, blah blah blah, 8 gallon surge device, blah blah, 1 hp chiller, blah blah blah, auto feeder, blah blah blah, drip feeding live pyto and tigroprious californicus, blah blah blah, plumbed into a 110 gallon lobster tank for filtration that has a 1/2 horse built in coil chiller, UV filter, Protein Skimmer, mechanical / biological / chemical filtration.

AquaticEngineer
I was hoping to see some progress on this tank and man that looks awesome! Really fantastic work there.

I think total I'm into it under $150.

It definitely helps when you get the tank, stand, chiller, skimmer, and more external pumps than I know what to do with all for free :lol:

Biggest cost has been the spray foam at $4.39 a can, I think once I was finally done I used about 30 cans. If I had planned a little more, and experimented a little less, I probably could have done it with about 20 cans though.

Plus two 50lb bags of rock salt @ $6.28 a bag.

Plumbing parts will be the next big expense, gott rummage through the boxes of stuff I have and see what I can salvage.

AquaticEngineer

Well it looks like I only have a small handful of plumbing parts I need to get everything ready for water testing. I ended up having a lot more pieces than I thought I would just laying around in boxes out in the garage.

Looks like Home Depot after work tomorrow, then I'll let you all know what the damage is. Should be under $30 total......hopefully...... fingerscrossed

Got the chiller in place under the stand, and the auto feeder as well. Both fit damn near perfect :D

AquaticEngineer

Well I went over budget on plumbing, spent $33 dollars.

On the bottom right inside the stand you can see the massive chiller I got for free, bottom left is the mini fridge for the auto feeder.

IMG_20110910_184910.jpg

AquaticEngineer
I can't wait to see the tank setup. You rock!

Another $30 at Home Depot and I should be water testing it by tomorrow night while the concrete sets to level out the spot in the garage its going.

AquaticEngineer

Water tested and 90% plumbed.

Just gotta get it in place, plumb in the auto feeder, and hook it into the lobster tank now.

AquaticEngineer
..........I wanna see this thing filled!

No doubt :D

Building the auto feeder today, then moving everything into place. I may just skip laying a level concrete patch and just shim the tank so its level. I mean hell, its just a garage tank right? :lol:

AquaticEngineer

More plumbing done today, built another auto feeder.

I just have to paint a couple things, move it into place, and level out, then its ready to be filled and start cycling. Last pic shows the new auto feeder I had to make since the plumbing on the other one didn't work with this setup, plus side is the old auto feeder will fit perfect under my small indside coldwater tank :D

IMG_20110912_184714.jpg

IMG_20110912_184738.jpg

IMG_20110912_184754.jpg

IMG_20110912_184850.jpg

AquaticEngineer

So looking at this picture, the water would flow in from the left, and at the T where the vinyl tubing goes in the parastaltic dosing pump will pull food from whatever container I put in the fridge (probably oyster feast) and inject it into the return line. The water continues on out of the fridge and into the tank which would lead to the second picture.

The second picture down shows the line exiting the fridge and going up into a bulkhead on the side of the tank. I put ball valves on the line in case I need to take the chunk of line out from the fridge for cleaning or to remove the dosing pump for some reason. I will eventually install a venturi in place of the existing fitting that the doser is connected to.

IMG_20110912_184850.jpg

IMG_20110912_184754.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Yup, the tank is ran off of 2 external little giant pumps.

The auto feeder is designed to be added inline on any system so long as you put it before the return into the tank.

AquaticEngineer
That is pretty cool! I will have to modify it since I don't have a sump or anything.

Run a submersible pump over the side, down to the feeder and back up to the tank.

Archived