Pod Your Reef

inTank AC70 media basket question

Mini-Dude

Hey StevieT, I contacted you on your site also but wanted to post here as well. My AC70 has been leaking, just a very steady overflow drip. I noticed that a lot of water is able to come up beside the basket. That's whats causing it to overflow, the water outside the basket. We took out the basket and noticed that the walls are crooked on my version, that's how it came it the box but I didn't bother contacting you because I believed in your product and didn't want to question your skills. Well tonight it leaked big time. The water went through my floor (upstairs) and trough the ceiling of the downstairs. Here are some pics of my room getting dried out.

100_6616.jpg

100_6615.jpg

100_6617.jpg

My questions are, Is the media basket supposed to have crooked sides? Is the water supposed to be outside the basket? Is it a faulty basket?

I would really like to get to the bottom of this, I'm not blaming anything or anyone yet, just trying to gather information.

Thanks inTank for taking the time to read this,

Spencer

Mini-Dude

Hey Mini- Any email we receive is responded to at an ASAP basis. So here is my response to your questions. We tested this basket for a while and couldn't see how it could actually leak because of the filter design. A little more detail on that leak would help.

Hey Spencer and family-

By crooked walls do you mean the trapezoidal shape that the media basket

takes? If so this is because the filter presents this shape and the basket

fits to make a better seal. The basket actually does not block much flow on

it's own just re-directs it. Where is the water actually coming out of the

filter? The AC70 like all Aquaclear;s have an overflow prevention built in

and that is around the intake tube. If water backs up it will output around

the tube and back into the tank.

With any media basket make sure the filter floss is changed often before it

clogs up too much. Also with this filter the only physically way water can

overflow is if it is not level. There is a leveling device on the bottom

and if not set correctly I can see how some could leak out by being tipped

backwards. The filter was designed to take media and our basket does not

block more flow that the stock set up, it actually improves it. If you were

leaking water wouldn't you see a decrease of salinity do to more top offs?

Another point of leak on this filter to check is where the pump connects.

Maybe the clockwise turn with the gasket was not met. Let me know more

details to help and don't slack too much this summer :)

Yeah they are trapezoidal I guess. The water is coming from outside the basket but inside the filter. So there is a lot of space water can come up beside the basket and that's water is making the basket rise up and water spills out when it goes down again. This is very present when I do my normal top offs. I don't top off extremely high but it still does it. The overflow prevention kinda works but not really. There is always water coming from the overflow prevention site, even when you replace the filter floss that was junky.

The filter is level. We checked that the fist thing. The b lack tip is perfectly where it needs to be. Yes and I have been doing more top offs.

The place its leaking from it the top, back, right hand corner. Thats where its overflowing/leaking.

Here are some more detailed pictures of the leak.

100_6621.jpg

the right hand corner is there is leak/overflowed.

100_6624.jpg

100_6622.jpg

100_6619.jpg

100_6627.jpg

Thats what it did to the ceiling downstairs...

Can you see the water out side the basket but still in the filter in the first pic?

100_6622.jpg

Too much media in the bottom shelf which is really hurting flow in the basket. The flow is pushing teh basket up because the purigen and CPE are packed so tight. Water is slowly dripping over the basket wall because they are out of the filters top. Rest via email

And make sure you are turning the filter off before removing the basket

Replied via email, looks like its the media, the purigen is covering the holes, I'm gonna move the puigen up top with the cheato and leave the CPE down under

The problem, It appears that the media basket is too deep for the AC70. We are making this observation because we are unable to get the AC70 lid to fit tightly as designed. When the lid is not on, the media basket rises(floats) and this restricts the water flow causing the AC70 to fill and overflow over the sides and back of the unit

Archived