inTank Media Baskets

Mangrove Island

Giga

Be careful with that LED. Dont look into it on full blast. Also have a fan over each one, they create a unreal amount of heat. You should have checked out the XM-L Neutral, it is much more efficient than the Bridgelux.

-Dave

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I see. Well still, adding Cree's to get some blue color in there sounds like the perfect idea. How many are you thinking of going with? They probably going to have to stand up to the brightness of that 50W.

Im gonna run only about 8 RB's be 50w led its only to add a hint of blue. All my tank beforei was running 6500k MH and I love that color.

Be careful with that LED. Dont look into it on full blast. Also have a fan over each one, they create a unreal amount of heat. You should have checked out the XM-L Neutral, it is much more efficient than the Bridgelux.

-Dave

Thanks Dave but they came with a warning label plus I already read online about the safety concerns. I will be running only about 75% and I have 4 100mm fans built into the heatsink so I should be ok, plus its a 9x20" heatsink. I saw the xml plus I wanted two single super high power led for this project.

I've been really busy lately and haven't really been able to work on my tank. I did start working on hanging my ledlight though- I also started drilling and taping the holes but broke my drill bit not paying attention

I cut out the fins out of the end of the led fixture and this is how it will hang from the light tree,bolted to the end.Cutting this by hand was ALOT of work

imag0218kq.jpg

imag0222c.jpg

Also, in more good news this came in!Means I can make this wet anytime :P

imag0223d.jpg

And in today's wildlife adventures I found this guy-a common water snake

imag0220h.jpg

started to piss him off at this point

imag0221c.jpg

And finally my giant of a dog that helps me with anything I do :D

imag0226lw.jpg

I can't wait to see this thing up and running! Stand and tank already look great.

you and me both-your tank is really awesome too!

must have taken up some time cutting that heatsink by hand because i did it at work with a air saw and that took some time too cut thur

teamschreiba
you and me both-your tank is really awesome too!

Thanks Giga! One of the main reasons I added mangroves to my tank was because of your last tank so I'm pretty excited to see this one too.

must have taken up some time cutting that heatsink by hand because i did it at work with a air saw and that took some time too cut thru

took like two days because my arm got tired and i get fed up with it. I know when that happen I tend to make mistake so I left it alone for the next day

Thanks Giga! One of the main reasons I added mangroves to my tank was because of your last tank so I'm pretty excited to see this one too.

This time around I plan on focusing it on black mangroves, but I plan on having red and white mangrove as well. The only things is, is that I'm having a hard time sourcing white mangroves. I also hope that this build is inspiring as well. Now that this is my second mangrove tank I feel like I learned a lot and plan on putting that to use :haha:

did a ridiculous amount of sawing again today and mounted two fans into the heatsink-not very good pics but you get the idea

imag0228q.jpg

imag0229q.jpg

imag0230l.jpg

also made two of these that will be mounted into the stand-because I don't want to get shocked! :haha:

imag0231o.jpg

Also went to the glass shop and picked up the glass of the aio part of the tank. I forgot to get one piece so now I got to go back and get it -_-

yeah small or big update-I'd figured I'd just be post happy :P

Means more eye candy for us! Can't wait to see that heat sink mounted up!

Means more eye candy for us! Can't wait to see that heat sink mounted up!

I haven't even mounted it yet so me too!!

Really really bad news! I was cleaning my house today and I put all my plants outside to get them out of the way while I cleaned. After about 20mins I go outside to get the plants(including my black mangroves) and this is what I come to! Some stupid animal decided to chew the bark off all the mangrove on one side :angry: !!!!

from this side they look fine(stupid camera wouldn't focus on the mangroves)

imag0242i.jpg

The Dmg :o (hand was to focus)

imag0244e.jpg

At this point I'm just praying that they make it and survive. I know with some of my bonsai I'll remove the bark to get a deadwood aged look but not on saplings. So who know at this point-sucks because I've had these guys for around 10 months now. Who knows :mellow:

In other news it got me thinking and while fuming and looking on the web I found this pic and it got me thinking. I might go and change my design a little to make it look more ADA, and with one or two really old red's. I found a place in Florida that can send me 5 year old mangrove($$$ shipping though) that would look rather fantastic. At this point just gonna push forward and hope for the best.

qa32124dbrandoncole.jpg

Aw man! First with Adins busted regulator gauge.. and now Giga's mangroves get chewed up! Wtf is happening today!

So sorry Giga. :(

Aw man! First with Adins busted regulator gauge.. and now Giga's mangroves get chewed up! Wtf is happening today!

So sorry Giga. :(

maybe it happened for a reason because I got some cools idea from it, with all I've been through things like this don't upset me as much as they use to(still want to go find the stupid rabbit/squirrel) . Thanks for the support!

:lol:

Stupid squirrels/rabbits. Those things destroy my moms birdfeeders lol. Not the rabbits though lol.. I don't think they can climb or anything.

So i've been thinking about drivers, and I know there are a couple driver that will drive both Bridelux's but I would like to drive them independently and something a little cheaper(the other drivers are about 120$). I was thinking a couple of these http://www.ledsupply.com/0a009-d-v-2100.php. The problem is that these leds have a voltage of 25.6V-

ledspecs.png

I was looking at dc voltage supplies and it looks like this can(S-100F-24) http://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/public/ran...r55%5Cr55_3.pdf

Voltage can be adjusted to 26.4V. I'm not much for electronics so I want to make sure I'm reading this right before I do anything?

As you all know I used drift wood in my last tank -I plan to use it more thoroughly this time around. I plan on integrating the black mangrove into a piece of dead wood so that it looks like a old tree with most of it dead, like a bonsai. I got more drift wood and I made it into a piece of art. I treated it with a reef safe wood preserver and spend a good 4-5 hours carving it. I'm starting to get super excited because I'm seeing this thing take shape in my head. Tomorrow I'll do a virtual to show you what I mean.

This is what it looks like raw-kinda ugly color and no line or interesting shapes

imag0262w.jpgimag0263b.jpg

this is what I turned a piece into-this will be the main trunk of the black mangroves

imag0260u.jpgimag0252rr.jpg

imag0258h.jpg

imag0254e.jpg

imag0255n.jpg

bwoodward0012

sorry to hear about the mangroves but they might be okay since the bark wasn't removed all the way around the trunks. that wood looks awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out.

also, i'll probably be doing an overhaul on your former gla. it will include a sump to simplify the equipment inside, but i haven't decided completely on scaping or restocking to take place/.

WOW dude.. that driftwood looks incredible! Amazing job Giga!

Thanks, didn't really have a design or anything planned just went to work and that's what turned out

sorry to hear about the mangroves but they might be okay since the bark wasn't removed all the way around the trunks. that wood looks awesome, can't wait to see how this turns out.

yeah it's been a few days and nothing has wilted-and it seems to be growing so I should be ok. fingerscrossed

As you all know I used drift wood in my last tank -I plan to use it more thoroughly this time around. I plan on integrating the black mangrove into a piece of dead wood so that it looks like a old tree with most of it dead, like a bonsai. I got more drift wood and I made it into a piece of art. I treated it with a reef safe wood preserver and spend a good 4-5 hours carving it. I'm starting to get super excited because I'm seeing this thing take shape in my head. Tomorrow I'll do a virtual to show you what I mean.

Adapting bonsai techniques I see. :D

Archived