SaltCritters.com

Mangrove Island

Giga

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so I just ordered two of these omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

mfgbxrac4500.jpg

can you give me a link of where you bought it and what other supplies you going to use to build this led fixture your planning i want to updrage my lighting for my mangroves thanks :happy:

Good to see you back Giga, very nice setup you have there. I really like how alot of people are making the stands something to look at as well as the tank.

Cant wait to see wet

good luck

gg

can you give me a link of where you bought it and what other supplies you going to use to build this led fixture your planning i want to updrage my lighting for my mangroves thanks :happy:

I got those guys from DigiKey http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1946193-l...4500-00000.html and the crazy thing is there're 5000lm- I plan and adding some neutral white and RB Crees as well, might add a couple reds as well. I will being using Thomas research dimmable drivers as they're the easiest to use, plus I need hefty drivers to drive both these 50W'ers in series and the have a funky voltage. Though to tell you the truth I'm still doing research for my led light so I don't have a definitive list as to all I'm using. Once I get to that point I will have a large post full of pictures describing the led light. This is the first LED light I know of built for Mangroves so this is a bit of a experiment.

holy crap 50W?? i gotta see one lit up!!

I have a feeling I won't be driving them at full power. I think I might be lighting up my entire house LOL

giga's stuff always keeps getting better and better! wink.gif

thank you

Woah 50w?! Awesome cool.gif

I know right :lol:

Can't wait till you get all your new equipment/toys biggrin.gif

you and me both!

Good to see you back Giga, very nice setup you have there. I really like how alot of people are making the stands something to look at as well as the tank.

Cant wait to see wet

good luck

gg

Yeah I want simple, yet arty for my stand-so after all the research this is what feel in love with. I just hope I can match the tank/light/equipment with everything else to be minimalist

I don't want to put a shelf down there(makes it feel less open with one there) , so there was no need for the extra support.

If in case you decide to add a shelf later on, this is how it could look like. ;)

3440766314_741f2e4a0b_o.jpg

(Image borrowed from "hydrophyte" on plantedtank.net.)

Lol I've seen that stand somewhere before. he used a red oak or something while I used red mahogany which came out rally dark after I varnished it. kinda wish I went with a little bit lighter wood because it harder to see the wood grain from a distance but now that it all done I still love the metal/dark wood contrast

got to working on the light tree that will hang the LED light.

two four ft 1" square poles 1/8" thick

imag0194p.jpg

Because I didn't want to weld two pieces together I used these L brackets that can support about 400lb each

imag0195p.jpg

I then linked both pieces together to form a 1x2" tree that I can hang on :P

imag0196l.jpg

then I mounted it used 4 5.5" bolts through the 4x4-this is a shot of lining it up to drill

imag0200k.jpg

and there ya go a artsy FTS

imag0205a.jpg

On a side note started messing around with my led placement when the heat sink and led's arrive

imag0207p.jpg

and on a side side note I found this tree frog hanging out-one of the best pictures i've taken with my phone

imag0019os.jpg

What kind of phone bro? And you mean... that tree frog was just chillin..? Outside? Where do you live that there's tree frogs hanging around? lol.

Awesome stand, tank, and light tree!

It's the droid incredible, but I might upgrade to the X2 because the screen size is HUGE. Yeah the frog was just sitting on a tree outside(me and my wife do a lot of nature stuff). I live in Virginia beach so I was surprised to see him.

Giga, I saw your old tank thread and I loved what you did with the tank. I am following this thread for sure. Great job!

50W led's and heatsink arrived the same day omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

check these bad boys out

imag0215tr.jpgimag0217a.jpg

there pretty big :lol:imag0216x.jpg

heatsink placement and my monkey toes

imag0214w.jpg

also went to my LFS and they had these guys in stock-made me think about isolating the land area(yes there will be land area) so the fiddlers can live without getting in the tank and getting killed by the mantis-not sure if I'm gonna do it, because don't know if I can do it without interfering with the lines of the tank-got to think -_-

imag0208xy.jpg

Dude! Those LEDs look so nice! Are those basically just a bunch of Cree LEDs without the stars? Or a different type? Idk if you've covered this before but how much were those LEDs each?

They're different then cree's but the same in a way.Same as, they're high quality LED's, but made by a different company(Bridgelux). Each one of the little black squares, in the yellow ring, are a led die so an 8x8 grid is 64 :o I don't have a driver yet but I've seen these lit up and there a bright white-there rated as CW- i'm gonna add some cree's so augment the color to about a 8k look. And with shipping it was 107.00$ for both led's. To tell you the truth I think these are even better quality the cree's, being able to look at them up close I'm very impressed.

Interesting... Do they have these in a bluer version? Such as 14k?

No these are the bluest your gonna get and this is only like a daylight bulb. That's why I'm gonna use cree's to add some RB's n such.

Yeah I see. Well still, adding Cree's to get some blue color in there sounds like the perfect idea. How many are you thinking of going with? They probably going to have to stand up to the brightness of that 50W.

Archived