SaltCritters.com

.66 gal Sunlit Pico

mmcguffi

and post a macro shot its very helpful to establish changes in live rock associated with current/oxygenation/nutrient availability and light

live rock does very predictable things in a windowsill, I can tell there's some age between the last and the very first shots it really should be kept and aged further.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright from re-reading my first post in this thread (along with the encouragement of you guys) Im going to try to resurrect this and turn it into my original plan (havent taken it down yet).

First Im going to give it a long over-due WC. Probably ~80%. And then Im going to give my parents (caregivers) a few jugs of premixed salt water so they can change a cup every now and then.

Also Im going to try a little xenia in there. Mushrooms didnt seem to work but my xenia is like the hardiest thing I have ever seen. Also I have these Texas trash palys that are completely taking over my edge that--while not extraordinarily beautiful--are very very very hardy.

Furthermore Im gunna put a healthy hunk of my blue ochtodes macro in there and see how that does. Ive tried some small pieces of it and of other marcos, but they were all really just frags that had broken off. In retrospect they really had no chance.

And finally Im gunna get a mangrove sprout for this guy and plant it in the center.

...hopefully with winter coming the windowsill wont get too cold for it :scarry:

Can do. The majanos and aiptasia especially are doing very well and divided several times. My parents also commented on how they frequently see a whole bunch of 'sea money-like things' all of the time [amphipods].

I think I might also eventually try to throw some bristle worms in there too

makes me wanna start up my own sunlit pico...i got a few cheap hardy fast growing corals i could put in it.

i have a hydor 4.5w heater; do you think that is too much for a pico so small?

bristleworms will definitely do well in here.

i have reached a similar conclusion from my sunlit cubus. its a viable pico idea and all it needs is a little weekly care just like a regular pico. also needs a good amount and duration of sunlight which you seem to have more of than i did, but i am surprised your shroom didnt do well. maybe it has to do with water circulation. if you have pulsing xenia try that. its pulsing movement may be able to drive the tiny amount of circulation this tank needs.

makes me wanna start up my own sunlit pico...i got a few cheap hardy fast growing corals i could put in it.

i have a hydor 4.5w heater; do you think that is too much for a pico so small?

I have no idea! However using a heater without any flow does seems to present some problems in my mind--like having a whole bunch of warm water around the heater and room temp water everywhere else.

I say try an other with no flow or heater :) As far as I can tell Im the first to document an expirement like this so I say you try it too! My guess is that it will be just as successful. I really dont agree with brandon429 in that my setup is exceptionally unique.

bristleworms will definitely do well in here.

i have reached a similar conclusion from my sunlit cubus. its a viable pico idea and all it needs is a little weekly care just like a regular pico. also needs a good amount and duration of sunlight which you seem to have more of than i did, but i am surprised your shroom didnt do well. maybe it has to do with water circulation. if you have pulsing xenia try that. its pulsing movement may be able to drive the tiny amount of circulation this tank needs.

I do have pulsing xenia so thats exactly what Im going to try next! Also I swear these brown palys I have will ABSOLUTELY grow in it. They are a huge pain--theyre a fricken weed.

But yea, I say totally viable idea; really anyone should be able to do this.

I do have pulsing xenia so thats exactly what Im going to try next! Also I swear these brown palys I have will ABSOLUTELY grow in it. They are a huge pain--theyre a fricken weed.

agreed,

brown palys are a weed. I grew an entire colony out of 1 polyp many years ago, fragged it about 15 times. Moved the tank 6 times & this colony survived 2 crashes in a year.

now it rests in a 75g growing ever faster

agreed,

brown palys are a weed. I grew an entire colony out of 1 polyp many years ago, fragged it about 15 times. Moved the tank 6 times & this colony survived 2 crashes in a year.

now it rests in a 75g growing ever faster

oops--I got a kill-wand at a recent frag swap and Ive been shocking the #### out of the paly colony lol. I forgot I was planning on saving these guys; I was just too excited to kill them lol. I have to check tom if there are still some left (almost 100% certain there will be) and save em from extinction

• 1 month later...
oops--I got a kill-wand at a recent frag swap and Ive been shocking the #### out of the paly colony lol. I forgot I was planning on saving these guys; I was just too excited to kill them lol. I have to check tom if there are still some left (almost 100% certain there will be) and save em from extinction

is this still going?

Yep still going. The amount of work I have right now is reaching ridiculous levels so I havent been able to come back to my parents house to tend/add to this in a while, but it's indeed going strong. The glass is constantly covered in all kinds of different feather dusters and other creatures--it's quite dynamic. Things come and go all the time. There's actually an incredible amount of biodiversity in there.

Ill grab some pics (including some macros) the next time Im back. I also recently acquired some of the green with pink tip majanos so Im going to grow those guys out and add them to it eventually. The blue ochtodes is long overdue--it's going in next time Im back for sure.

Also my roommate is fascinated by my tank so he's actually just went out and got everything to set up his first reef tank. He'll be getting a Reef Cleaners order soon enough Im sure so Ill definitely order a mangrove or two for this sunlit pico

Thanksgiving is coming up so I should be able to at least grab some pics, put the macro algae in, and give it a long overdue water change. Ill probably bring back some hearty corals like xenia and brown palys to see if those guys make it in this thing

Im quite bad at tending to my threads but Ill keep you guys updated :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

So over thanksgiving I added 2 healthy hunks of blue ochtodes and gave it a long overdue WC (~80%).

I think for Christmas Im going to get a mangrove and some tiger pods for this thing. My parents really like it so it will be a present to them and myself :) I think tiger pods would be a really cool addition. Im also planning on weeding out the aiptasia and brown majanos to put in the green/pink majanos I got recently

still debating on whether Im going to try to put in bristles/micro brittles/hearty corals so opinions or thoughts are welcome

Unfortunately Im a bum and forgot to grab my camera before I went back for thanksgiving so no pictures! :(

The frog is a Pacific Chorus Frog. The live only along the West Coast and in northern Mexico. There are different varieties of them depending on the area you live in.

EDIT: They tend to not go in the water unless it's breeding season. You can hear the mating call for miles.

The frog is a Pacific Chorus Frog. The live only along the West Coast and in northern Mexico. There are different varieties of them depending on the area you live in.

yea no.

it's a wood frog. I live in Michigan.

yea no.

it's a wood frog. I live in Michigan.

Wait... I thought you said you lived in... Oh wait I read that was Washington... My bad lol. It looked like one to me. I'm not an expert though. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Update, SVP.

Ill be going back there for Christmas pretty soon--I havent really spoken to my parents about how it's doing so it will be interesting to see how the blue ochtodes has faired.

Ill be sure to bring my camera this time :happy:

holy crap! I just realized that this thing is more than half a year old... time certainly speeds up as you get older--it's kinda scary really :eek:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I hope no one minds me reviving a dead thread. I joined this forum specifically to subscribe to this thread, it's such a different pico to the rest. Any chance of an update?

• 4 months later...

Archived