Pod Your Reef

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you like your swc skimmer? I was thinking of upgrading my remora soons.

Funny you should ask. The pump stopped working yesterday after i transferred it. Not sure if I want to replace the pump or get a different skimmer. It is sorta big for my tank anyways.

Wow! Great build thread. You haven't commented much on that light. Anymore feed back since you've had it a while. thanks

-mark

Heh, I love the light. Programming it for sunrise/set is awesome! Less heat, less electricity used, better colors and range of color to use. my corals have either not changed in color or have changed for the better imo. My golden birdsnest has changed from it's gold/peach color to a very light seafoam color and my cali tart has lightened up with a nice teal/green at the bottom and a nice blue at the tips. Everything looks great. I will have updating on the growth, but I can confirm that I have seen growth on everything. recent frags are encrusting and my torts and stags are showing consistent growth. I have not noticed much in in the way of bad algae/bacteria growth other than a little cyno. This is problably due to the fact that the tank is really young and only half the rock is mature LR and the rest is only a month live.

All in all, I really like the light. It was expensive, but I will not have to change bulbs or fixtures again. I love the fact that I can change the colors at will to get 12-20k colors depending on how i feel at the moment. Keep checking up once in awhile to see more pics. I will be taking more since I just got a great new camera!

I have decided to not replace the pump on the SWC 160. Turns out that the impeller stalled after I plugged it in after switching stands on Saturday and I think the pump fried. It gets really hot under water and shuts off.

I will replacing it with a used Reef Octopus 1000INT from a local at a good price. I think it will work well. They have been getting good reviews.

Here are some pics of the new stand and setup. I couldn't get the rocks back to the way I had them. Isn't that always the way? lol

New Stand!

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Far cry from zip ties now, eh Medred? Need to trim those wires still...

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

How are you liking that Maggie Muffler? I hate loud overflows and my last HGB was still pretty loud.

Oh, and sweet tank! :D

The Maggie Muffler is dead silent. The only noise my tank makes is falling water. Still trying to figure that one out.

I replaced the SWC 160 cone with a super reef octopus super 1000int from a local. It is breaking in atm, but I think that I will work very well.

Bought a pair of these

IMG_0248.jpg

I ordered two mccosker females, but I think that these are carpenter flasher wrasse females. Should be interesting.

Also got a Macropharyngodon ornatus. Went right into the sand yesterday when i dropped it in, but it was out a few hours after the lights turned on. It is a very good looking fish, about three inches long, and sorta plump. I dropped some frozen bloodworms in the tank and it ate 2 or 3. Good sign. I plan on adding a second leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon melagrus,

IMG_0261.jpg

The new leopard wrasse is eating spirulina loaded brine, mysis, and blood worms. So far, so good! This fish is so beautiful. I hope it makes it long term.

The new Leopard Wrasses. The ornate is eating frozen bloodworms, mysis, and brine. The vermiculate is picking at everything, but not keeping most of it down. I think it will come around.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Here are some pictures of growth with the Radion. Note the encrusting on both and the multiple little branches on the carolinia sp. frag. This is after a month for the GARF bonsai and two weeks for the carolinia. They were added as frags and have only been in my tank under the Radion.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

This tank is looking great!

diggin the new inhabitants

Thanks! I'm almost at the point where I can sit back and watch the tank grow. Just need a few more frags.

The leopards were hardly out at all today. Maybe I'll see them tomorrow.

Such sex. Can I has orgasm....

Also, swore that was a bong on the table next to the tank til I zoomed in lol.

Hah, it is a candlestick that I bought in Tanzania. I keep my pipe in another place.

Very nice.. love those leopard wrasses.

They are my favorite fish. The ornate is chowing down on everything, including flake, right now. The bipartus is still in the sand after 2 days. I will not start to worry until it has been 2 weeks without a bipartus sighting.

This has been a public service announcement from leopardwrassewatch

All those fish are going to crap alot... leading to a nice increase in sps growth :D

Hah, I know. I have never had so many fish. It makes me sorta nervous lol. I have nine last time I checked. I promised the gf she could pick out a fish, so that will make 10 in total for the tank. However, there are mostly small fish in the tank and my skimmer is rated for my tank size when heavily stocked so I should be good. I am also considering setting up a biopellet reactor. However, i've read so many horror stories of losing acro colonies that I am apprehensive about this.

Looking good. I really like that ornate leopard.

If you set up a biopellet reactor just make sure to add some bacteria from the start to help get the culture going. The biggest thing is to feed fairly heavy once the biopellets have been running for a while. That will keep the water from being too clean or stripped of nutrients for the corals. I ran with them for a while with no problems before taking my breeder down. I will be starting back up again this week when my new reactor (jnj alpha 1 reactor) shows up. Keep them tumbling, not blasting with flow, and keep them from clumping up. They are nice because they will keep your phosphates down as well (gotta love dual purpose).

Archived