Cultivated Reef

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

I'm kinda over the DIY stuff too, I always end up sinking as much money in to the project as if I just bought something new, and it never ends up working out the exact way I plan, Im gonna see if can't get my hands on one these

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kinda over the DIY stuff too, I always end up sinking as much money in to the project as if I just bought something new, and it never ends up working out the exact way I plan, Im gonna see if can't get my hands on one these

It was really easy to use. I just had to stick it onto a 1.5'' pipe (I think, check the website for what they say it uses). If you have a smaller standpipe, you can always just buy a reducer for 1 buck from HD or whatever. They might even sell an adapter on the website. I would recommend one for sure.

The lady forced me into buying renters insurance because of the added water volume and potential damage that could be caused if the tank ever leaked. Admittedly, I am a bit nervous with all that added water and space, mostly because I went from a 20 to a 60 lol. This thing is huge compared to what I am used to! I just would have liked to have spent that money on more SPS! :D Overall, I think it is a very good idea for anyone who has a tank that is drilled/plumbed. My "words to the to wise" for the day.

Nice, SoCal!

When does your Radion get in?

I just pulled the trigger on DIYing a LED setup. Gonna try to cram it into my existing T5 fixture.

I like that cube....got me thinking about the future of my lil reef

Im sure the tank as settled by now ... :D

Hah! I have been really busy grading papers and reading for my seminars. I will take some pics tomorrow when I work on the scape.

Nice, SoCal!

When does your Radion get in?

I just pulled the trigger on DIYing a LED setup. Gonna try to cram it into my existing T5 fixture.

I like that cube....got me thinking about the future of my lil reef

I think they ship in a week. Not too sure though.

Here are the promised pics. Things are a little rough still and I have to move a couple of rocks around, but this this is pretty much the finished design. As you can see, I went for a more stepped look.

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Man you beat me to it! I just put water in my 57 yesterday to check the plumbing design. Hopefully ill be able to glue and leak test tomorrow

Looks great man! I just helped a buddy scape his 45 cube and I swear we made the same thing you did! I had to scroll up to make sure I was in the right thread. Ironic. You do nice work my friend! B)

You have any room behind the rockwork? Thats one thing I screwed up on with my own tank, I couldve never known without the coral in the tank but a few of the top acros keep me from getting my arm between them and the calfo overflow to scrub the back wall...oh well I got a long handled jobber ;) Now that I own this basic dimnesion tank I can appreciate that its hard to put in pictures, the depth so it may just look like your rock is up against the back wall.

Looks great, keep the updates coming. Im glad to see you with acros in your tank and getting the radion. Im a staunch LED critic but not a hater. Im an electrician so I work with these LED chips currently available everyday and know their limitations. Once a major player like sylvania, ushio, GE steps up and starts designing chips that can take the abuse of being overdriven and still be at least 20% more efficient than other types of lighting, plus ground up design of a photosynthetic based chipset, im in. Til then, ill keep replacing them at work and using a radium MH over my tank. Still think ecotech will at least bring some class to the table with its fixture. Going fully interchangable was a HUGE step in the right direction. People gotta get over this "dont gotta buy lightbulbs for the rest of my life" thing. Dude, dont work like that. They die, A LOT. Ecotech at least manned up and made everything easily replaceable to the average idiot and threw in some gimmicky things to attract the techy guys and gals with cash to burn(not calling you one, but if you are, cool) plus put it in a ubersex package. GOod on em. I think to OUR eyes this fixture is gonna make tanks look SEXY! Keep us posted on how your corals like it!

Looking good. Glad to see it come together. Can't wait to see it with the radion.

Thanks!

AWESOME!!

plenty of room for growth and new coral. I like the room at the top you have fore more upward growth

great job man

Thanks cruz! The upward growth is what I am hoping for as well.

Man you beat me to it! I just put water in my 57 yesterday to check the plumbing design. Hopefully ill be able to glue and leak test tomorrow

Thanks man! I saw your thread. Your tank is looking good.

Looks great!

It's going to grow in nice! ;)

Thanks for following along. I will make sure to post growth pics.

Looks great man! I just helped a buddy scape his 45 cube and I swear we made the same thing you did! I had to scroll up to make sure I was in the right thread. Ironic. You do nice work my friend! B)

You have any room behind the rockwork? Thats one thing I screwed up on with my own tank, I couldve never known without the coral in the tank but a few of the top acros keep me from getting my arm between them and the calfo overflow to scrub the back wall...oh well I got a long handled jobber ;) Now that I own this basic dimnesion tank I can appreciate that its hard to put in pictures, the depth so it may just look like your rock is up against the back wall.

Looks great, keep the updates coming. Im glad to see you with acros in your tank and getting the radion. Im a staunch LED critic but not a hater. Im an electrician so I work with these LED chips currently available everyday and know their limitations. Once a major player like sylvania, ushio, GE steps up and starts designing chips that can take the abuse of being overdriven and still be at least 20% more efficient than other types of lighting, plus ground up design of a photosynthetic based chipset, im in. Til then, ill keep replacing them at work and using a radium MH over my tank. Still think ecotech will at least bring some class to the table with its fixture. Going fully interchangable was a HUGE step in the right direction. People gotta get over this "dont gotta buy lightbulbs for the rest of my life" thing. Dude, dont work like that. They die, A LOT. Ecotech at least manned up and made everything easily replaceable to the average idiot and threw in some gimmicky things to attract the techy guys and gals with cash to burn(not calling you one, but if you are, cool) plus put it in a ubersex package. GOod on em. I think to OUR eyes this fixture is gonna make tanks look SEXY! Keep us posted on how your corals like it!

Hah! You must have great taste if your friends scape that you helped build turned out similar to mine. I like it a lot. It creates a lot of depth and will make for good SPS growing. Thanks for the advice Chris! I would not have bought the Radion fixture if it were not for the modular LEDs. I like the idea of keeping the same fixture but changing the lights as technology changes. Ecotech will take care of us.

As for the overflow wall and back wall, I can scrap the back wall but the top rocks are indeed leaning on the overflow box. I really couldn't find a way around it, but I would clean it anyways lol.

hows everything settling in

Very well actually. I checked the params this morning and everything is spot on! Ca 440, alk 8.4, ph 8.3, 0 trates/trites/ammonia. Everything is doing well, no losses or RTN. I will be adding several frags of SPS this weekend from some locals and maybe some zoas and clams next weekend from reef-a-palooza.

Sweet,

are the dosing pumps up and running?

Na, I don't think I need it yet. The params of alk and ca have been pretty stable. I will probably hook the dosers up when I get some more frags and clams in the tank.

Radion in yet?

nope, marinedepot.com says 5-7 business days... should be any time now.

just ordered a maggie

You will not be disappointed.

Looking good. Glad to see it come together. Can't wait to see it with the radion.

Thanks man! I will post pics when I get the Radion in.

Cubes are always so tough to make look really good. Consider me impressed.

I'm glad you like it. I think that it will look really great when the SPS starts to grow in.

Looks good SoCal. I love my 60 cube as well. Your scape came out really nice. Following along.

You have a great tank too. Thanks for following along.

hurray for pictards

yay for ess peh ess!

:ninja:

I actually just got more SPS on Sunday! 8 more frags to be exact! I will post some pics later. TEASE! ;)

pink lemonade

green slimer

red planet

green milli

GARf bonsai

hawkins echinata

teal stag

monti setosa

I actually just got more SPS on Sunday! 8 more frags to be exact! I will post some pics later. TEASE! ;)

pink lemonade

green slimer

red planet

green milli

GARf bonsai

hawkins echinata

teal stag

monti setosa

Nice picks. The pink lemonade is one of my fav., PE on them are excellent rivals that of mille's.

Nice picks. The pink lemonade is one of my fav., PE on them are excellent rivals that of mille's.

Ya, I love it. Mine needs to color up to yellow as it is green from being low in the local's tank. PE is looking great though.

nice selections socal. i'm looking to heavily stock my tank with sps as well. i'm a little worried since i didn't have the best of luck with them in my last tank. i'll be hitting you up for advice in the future ;)

you trying to make it out to reef-a-palooza this wknd?

Archived