halfpint

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ANY UPDATES???

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, I do have an update!

After chipping all the hydroids off the rocks I wanted to keep from my 26g bowfront, I moved all but a few mushrooms and a couple kenya stalks over to this tank. I'll have more pictures and an updated video, if I find the time in the coming weeks.

photo-3.jpg

By the way, hydroids pack a nasty sting. I have two fingers that are still red and partially numb, two days after I handled the rocks.

Thanks, Dunks! :flower:

Here's a quick video of the tank. I shot it with my phone, and didn't edit it. I just wanted to show how well the MP10s are creating a wave in the tank.

Came home to find my return pump had locked up. Found the impeller assembly was seized up on the ceramic shaft. I accidentally broke the shaft when trying to pull it out of the impeller body.

Luckily, I had another (much larger) pump. I hooked up the Ehim 1262. Since I was going from the Ehim 1250 with 317 GPH to the 1262 with 900 GPH, I had to plumb in a pressure overflow, to prevent a pipe or hose from leaking, or even worse, coming loose. With the 3/4" ball valve almost completely open, it still is pumping more through the return line than the 1250 was.

I think the cause of failure was having my calc reactor dumping directly over the pump's inlet. I found a considerable amount of calcium deposits on the pump's internals. I'm glad I had the MP10 pumps running, otherwise I may have lost a good bit of livestock today. :scarry:

photo2-1-1.jpg

photo1-1-1.jpg

That wave in your video--is that how you run your MP10s 24/7?

BLeh. I need a new mouse. It keeps double-clicking things with one press of the button <_<

That wave in your video--is that how you run your MP10s 24/7?
No, they automatically switch to "night mode" in the evening, around the time the lights go out. Throughout the day, the wave will vary slightly in intensity.

what are the mp10's set at to make that wave?
I used the auto tune feature under short pulse to find a mild wave frequency for this tank. It was surprisingly easy to set the wave.

Thanks!

The bulbs are the 3 actinic and 3 10,000K bulbs that came with the fixture. I haven't gotten bulbs with a spectrum I want, since I'll be mounting the LED Kessil A350W over the tank soon. They look good in person, but I prefer a bit bluer of a spectrum.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally hung the Kessil over the tank:

IMG_0007JPG_zpsdce999c9.jpg

Some quick coral shots from my iPhone:

IMG_0004JPG_zpsd515d55c.jpg

IMG_0003JPG_zps411962c0.jpg

IMG_0002JPG_zpsc6903350.jpg

• 2 months later...
Nice job HP. I wish I had your patience.
Thanks! It seems that my hobbies are the only thing I have patience for. Just about everything else, not so much. :P

NICE! B)

How is that single Kessil working out?

The kessil is amazing. My coral is physically coloring up very well. Greens and blues in everything seems to be more vivid than ever. My tank temps stay low, and evap is slower than any other tank. The beam spread with the wide angle lens is just barely wide enough. I want to make a slim box for the lamp that will eliminate extra light from spilling over the edges of the tank. I don't like seeing light shining past the edges of the tank onto the ground.

• 3 months later...

Just sold a few corals. Breaking the tank down. I am moving soon, and may be moving a few times in the next couple years. Here are a few shots of the tank's inhabitants as of now:

Frogspawn2_zps4b268742.jpg

Hermit_zps6630bb14.jpg

Zoas4_zpsc706a985.jpg

Zoas3_zpsa7b3d8ee.jpg

Shrooms1_zps5cb514cf.jpg

Zoas2_zps292d1ed2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I took off work Wednesday through the weekend this week. Tuesday, my "wonderful" boss tells me that instead of being there two more weeks, like he told me last week, I would be starting in my new location Monday. As in he told me it was my last day. Well, I am going out of town today, so I had to break down the tank before my vacation this weekend.

Called my LFS to be sure he had room for my tank's contents, picked up 5 Homer buckets from Home Depot, loaded everything into the buckets, and went to my LFS. I'm grateful my LFS had the room for my tank's livestock, and even more grateful he gave me some cash to ease the pain of practically giving it all away at such short notice. I am pissed my boss did this to me. I could have easily finished selling everything, pocketing at least 4 times as much for everything, if I would have been here another 2 weeks, like he had promised.

After I get done with moving and management training, I'll set the tank back up. I just hope I can transfer back to warm weather again, after I put in my time in colder climates. fingerscrossed

This snail just didn't want to go to the LFS :(

WP_20130411_004_zps64b5242b.jpg

I really hate seeing this. I put a lot of time and hard work into this build. The amount of money I lost off livestock makes it really hurt. :(

WP_20130411_006_zps08583d93.jpg

Good luck with the move! Once you settle down, I hope you get back in the hobby. This tank is to die for!

Thanks! This move will give me an opportunity to further perfect my design. I have a few things I'd like to change before I set it back up down the road.

Really sorry that you had to break down everything in such short notice dude... It's a real damn shame that so many people in this world are dickbags. My Dad's previous boss before he was laid off a couple weeks ago was the same way. He told him he had a solid two weeks left, and then laid him off three days later.

I hope everything goes well for you at your new location.

Archived