Pod Your Reef

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Apex!

So yesterday morning I'm sitting at work and open up my Apex page. Low and behold the temp has dropped down to 77.6. No big deal except the heater is supposed to kick on at 78 and according to the apex it is on. I keep an eye on the temp and an hour later it's dropped down to 76.9. So I call the wife and she runs down to the fish room, grabs my mixing water heater, drops it in the back chamber, plugs it in, and lets me know which port it's plugged into. Then I'm able to remotely configure that port and get the second heater on line.

Without the apex I wouldn't have even known that my temp was dropping fast. Pretty sure my wife opened up the windows to take advantage of the fall weather and the 50w heater just couldn't keep up.

Incomprehensibl

wow thats bada#* i just ordered the reefkeeper lite L3 and should be installing later this week. i know i wont be able to do quite that much but i couldn't quite get the money to go to the apex and from what ive seen of the reefkeeper i should be fine ( until i get to set a my next tank like 200gal then i'll have to upgrade to the reefkeeper elite and put both of my tanks on it :) )

wow thats bada#* i just ordered the reefkeeper lite L3 and should be installing later this week. i know i wont be able to do quite that much but i couldn't quite get the money to go to the apex and from what ive seen of the reefkeeper i should be fine ( until i get to set a my next tank like 200gal then i'll have to upgrade to the reefkeeper elite and put both of my tanks on it :) )

I've heard good things about the reef keeper too! A controller isn't necessary but boy is it nice to have!

• 2 weeks later...
Incomprehensibl

I finally got my reefkeeper lite hooked up for about a week now. It would have been nice if it came with a manual or something useful. On the plus side I think it's about time for me to start my own thread, probably embaress myself but also get some good tips I hope.

I finally got my reefkeeper lite hooked up for about a week now. It would have been nice if it came with a manual or something useful. On the plus side I think it's about time for me to start my own thread, probably embaress myself but also get some good tips I hope.

Definitely start one up!

very nice red. ive been following you since the very beginning. i wish my tank was looking like this. i had a bad hair algae break out right after the LED install and its just now coming around. your tank is looking great! i wish i could afford an apex for mine.

very nice red. ive been following you since the very beginning. i wish my tank was looking like this. i had a bad hair algae break out right after the LED install and its just now coming around. your tank is looking great! i wish i could afford an apex for mine.

Thanks! In all fairness I've had a couple small clumps of HA that I've scraped off and a very slight outbreak of what I believe to be cyano. Interesting that both of those occurred after LED's as well. I've cut my light schedule way back and that, along with feeding lightly has helped. Getting a skimmer soon too to assist in exporting nutrients. I'm having to scrape my glass more frequently then I think I should be. But then, I can't get people to really own up to how often "normal" should be on glass scraping.

The apex is awesome but not necessary. You can always start with the Jr like I did for $150 and get light timers and the ability to monitor and control over the web. Backup control for a heater as well since we're getting into that season.

i had little to no problems with any growth wiht stock lights, when i went LED everyhting blew up htough including coral growth.

as for the controller i know i dont have to have it but i want it. i also dont go small on things, buy right the first time and dont waste money on something that will be replaced in the future ;)

I love my Apex!

So yesterday morning I'm sitting at work and open up my Apex page. Low and behold the temp has dropped down to 77.6. No big deal except the heater is supposed to kick on at 78 and according to the apex it is on. I keep an eye on the temp and an hour later it's dropped down to 76.9. So I call the wife and she runs down to the fish room, grabs my mixing water heater, drops it in the back chamber, plugs it in, and lets me know which port it's plugged into. Then I'm able to remotely configure that port and get the second heater on line.

Without the apex I wouldn't have even known that my temp was dropping fast. Pretty sure my wife opened up the windows to take advantage of the fall weather and the 50w heater just couldn't keep up.

this is AWESOME.. i smell a xmas gift proposal comming on.

this is AWESOME.. i smell a xmas gift proposal comming on.

It is awesome! If you can afford one I highly recommend the Apex. I only wish I would have gone for the full Apex rather than the Jr but I just couldn't make that investment without knowing what I was really getting into.

Update: Aquatic Life 115 Skimmer on the way! I also corrected a newb mistake. I thought I had an RODI unit. Turns out it was RO only. Corrected by ordering a BRS DI cartridge that was easy to add into the mix. Did my first water change last night with the better more cleaner water. I do hope it helps the minor cyano and GHA issues. And when I say minor I truly mean minor. Just trying to nip things in the bud.

I cut lighting way back and feed every other day now and the cyano seems to be gone. I'll go another week or two before I increase the photo period.

All fish are fat and happy. My wife saw goober(watchman goby formerly know as yellow) for the first time in a couple of weeks last night and was surprised at how much she's grown. The blenny is filling out nicely and the clowns have gotten a little bigger as well. The wrasse looks the same to me but it's only been a couple weeks.

Also, something knocked my hammer coral off its perch but thankfully it landed on the base so I'll leave it be until we get back from vacation and glue it into place.

Installed an Aquatic Life 115 skimmer today! I was hoping I could just use the suction cups to hold it in place buy I may have to go back hand install the bracket.

In any case came back from vacation to find the fish all alive and everything still working. Woohoo!! Well, I haven't seen goober the goby but that's not unusual. All crabs are alive and looks like the snails are as well.

Next project will be an ATO.

Installed an Aquatic Life 115 skimmer today! I was hoping I could just use the suction cups to hold it in place buy I may have to go back hand install the bracket.

In any case came back from vacation to find the fish all alive and everything still working. Woohoo!! Well, I haven't seen goober the goby but that's not unusual. All crabs are alive and looks like the snails are as well.

Next project will be an ATO.

Pics of the skimmer installed?

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since the last update. The Aquatic Life 115 skimmer seems to be doing very well. I don't think that it's a coincidence that as soon as it started pulling some good skim that the reddish tint on the sand disappeared.

The fish seem to all be doing well too. My yellow(now gray) watchman goby has doubled in size. She's also making herself more visible by coming out more including feeding time. My clowns have grown 50-100% as well. The blenny is 25-50% larger. The most recent addition, the six-line appears to have grown slightly as well!

As for corals, my kenya tree has grown from about .25" extended to 2.5-3" extended. My red monti cap has more than doubled in size since I accidentally broke it in half. All of my chalice pieces show growth. I have 2 baby acan heads. All of my paly's and zoa's have sprouted new heads as well. My hammer coral has several baby heads. The only one that I can't be sure has grown is my blasto but it appears to be doing well.

Hope to start working on my ATO this month or next!

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love black friday!

Picked up a some reef crystals, a blue rid that my son picked out, some purple hammer that my daughter picked out, some green bird's nest as my next step towards trying out sps, a small frag of two heads of frog spawn, and finally a cleaner shrimp.

Other than some zoas from a local forum member that I want and maybe one or two more scan frags my BC29 is pretty much set as far as stocking!

New fts?

Knew that would come eventually :D. I'll see if I can find my wife's camera tonight and take one. I'm overdue and need to take periodic pics anyway just so I can track progress.

Thanks for looking!

i will post a FTS if you do first. had to check in on yours, since you check in on me often enough to offer up advice. thank you for all your guidance!

i will post a FTS if you do first. had to check in on yours, since you check in on me often enough to offer up advice. thank you for all your guidance!

Yeah, just noticed I put up some pics on RC but forgot to update here. Once I can get back in I'll paste the pics in here.

Ok, some updated pics with the iPhone:

FTS

img0554yb.jpg

Goober, Frogspawn(knocked over), and Purple Hammer

img0553dj.jpg

Green Bird's Nest and Green Hammer

img0550gu.jpg

Blasto's, Blue Ricordea, Cleaner Shrimp, and Chalice

img0547rj.jpg

All I have for now. Better ones will have to wait until I can borrow my wife's camera.

Ok, some updated pics with the iPhone:

FTS

img0554yb.jpg

Goober, Frogspawn(knocked over), and Purple Hammer

img0553dj.jpg

Green Bird's Nest and Green Hammer

img0550gu.jpg

Blasto's, Blue Ricordea, Cleaner Shrimp, and Chalice

img0547rj.jpg

All I have for now. Better ones will have to wait until I can borrow my wife's camera.

Looks good! You are a couple of months ahead of me but I am hoping to get my LEDs done before the New Year.

Archived