SaltCritters.com

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was just reading through your thread...looking good!...you may already know this but the MJ 900 is actually a decrease in flow from the stock pump...the MJ 1200 is a slight increase from 250 gph to 296 gph

was just reading through your thread...looking good!...you may already know this but the MJ 900 is actually a decrease in flow from the stock pump...the MJ 1200 is a slight increase from 250 gph to 296 gph

Thanks!

Yeah, at the time I was more worried about heat than flow. And I do have an MP10....

But, I've since gone back to the hydor pico 1200. I can't really tell a difference in flow between it and stock even though it's supposed to be higher. Also eventually remembered that the hydor's limited head doesn't matter when the return line is only a few inches above the water line. I may eventually go to a MJ1200 just to get increased flow through the filteration.

tanks looking nice! quick question how much did that frag of blastos cost you, they look nice.

Thanks! Blastos were $40 from a local reefer.

Ok, here are some pics with the new LED's. The tank looks far more blue in the pics than to my eye but I'm not a photo geek so I have no knowledge of how to correct it. The shimmer is pretty cool too.

web.jpg?ver=13161317610001

web.jpg?ver=13161106150001

web.jpg?ver=13161106010001

web.jpg?ver=13161105890001

web.jpg?ver=13160469990001

Incomprehensibl

nice job on the tank, i'm following your thread because i just got a biocube 29 a couple months ago and trying to make it reef ready before i leave hawaii in two years. what color ratio did you get for the LED kit? i ask because i just ordered the same one with 12RB, 2NW, 6CW and an extra 2 red. im worried about the "white wash" look and about too much blue. :unsure: how was it to put together? a simple one day project? any problems encountered?

once again nice tank and thank you

daniel

nice job on the tank, i'm following your thread because i just got a biocube 29 a couple months ago and trying to make it reef ready before i leave hawaii in two years. what color ratio did you get for the LED kit? i ask because i just ordered the same one with 12RB, 2NW, 6CW and an extra 2 red. im worried about the "white wash" look and about too much blue. :unsure: how was it to put together? a simple one day project? any problems encountered?

once again nice tank and thank you

daniel

Thanks!

I did 12RB and 8CW. I considered doing some NW and Red and/or Green as well but decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If I turn the whites up above 50% it does start to get a washed out look. I've found that 75% blue and 30-40% white looks best to me. I'm sure I'll still tweak it some more though.

Project was fairly easy to put together. LED's were mounted and soldered on day one but I had to wait on an Apex VDM to move forward after that. Get a cheap multimeter if you don't have one. It's necessary to adjust a pot inside the mean well and will give you piece of mind for everything else. If you are at all handy with DIY projects this will be a breeze.

Incomprehensibl

Great, I'm a wire geek by trade so I'm not too worried, I just wanted some reassurance the kit didn't need anything extra or modifying to go together smoothly. Sounds like I'm going to love it, it's in the mail now so I'm impatiently waiting for that and my reefkeeper lite which is on back order. :angry:

Great, I'm a wire geek by trade so I'm not too worried, I just wanted some reassurance the kit didn't need anything extra or modifying to go together smoothly. Sounds like I'm going to love it, it's in the mail now so I'm impatiently waiting for that and my reefkeeper lite which is on back order. :angry:

Oh, you'll need longer screws for the replacement fans. Stock screws won't work. Wish I could tell you what size but I had some laying around that worked. Make sure you get some before tearing apart the hood!

ok I'll make sure I find some before i start. once again thank you for sharing

My pleasure! Just be sure to pass the help along!

Added a couple zoa frags. I'm not much into names but it does help people figure out what they look like until I figure out how to take stupid pictures with actinics on!

So, one frag looks very close to My Clementines. A little different but it gives you an idea. Orange skirt, blue ring, orange center.

The other looks exactly like magicians with a red skirt and speckled ring but a bluish eye. Maybe a little martian red but again, a speckled ring around the eye.

In any case, both are beautiful under actinics. Fellow reefer sold me the frags, with over 20 heads between them for $20. IMO these are show type zoa's! That's how nice they look. I've already picked out others to get from him in a couple of months that will come close to, if not finish, my zoa collection.

Those LEDs look really nice!

Thanks! Best visual mod to date and the corals seem to be doing great. In all fairness they were doing fine under the stock PC lights too. I think 20 LED's is more than adequate too for a BC29. I think many people are way overstocking their LED's. Time will tell though.

Incomprehensibl

I just got my kit today so I'm now just waiting for my reefkeeper. But a question too, did you get a power supply or dc converter/wall plug? I got all the stuff to wire it and see what you mean by the tiny screws with the fans.

Sorry I got ahead of myself, I'm referring to the stuff to wire the fans up

Yes. I received a power supply which plugs into a Y adapter that also has a pot on it to adjust fan speed. I just turned mine all the way up and it's sitting behind the splash shield. Did you not get one?

In the pic I think the Y adapter is in the plastic bag. The power supply isn't shown.

LED

RedStang what ratio did you do on the LED's did you do the 10 whites and 10 blues? Did you add any reds?

12RB and 8 CW.

Also, a six-line wrasse has joined our party! This will be our last fish though I do plan on adding a cleaner shrimp at some point as well.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of locline did you use for the split return?

I had planned on doing this when I originally set up my BC14, but the actual locline company's locline didn't seem to fit properly. I am preparing to upgrade to a BC29 that I picked up at MACNA and still want to split the return.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of locline did you use for the split return?

I had planned on doing this when I originally set up my BC14, but the actual locline company's locline didn't seem to fit properly. I am preparing to upgrade to a BC29 that I picked up at MACNA and still want to split the return.

I used standard loc-line but I sanded down the pieces to fit. Use a dremel or equivalent to sand it down.

Archived