Pod Your Reef

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh nice I see it now lol

thanks for the tips!

My pleasure! Just remember I'm only a few weeks ahead of you! I really don't know what I'm doing :lol: !!!!

In all seriousness though I remember what it was like trying to get answers to questions. I'm more than happy to help if I can.

All these new BC's starting up! Going to be exciting.

What's your plan for this? (coral wise)

I'm not really a planner :D. Once I upgrade the lighting I'll get a better idea of which corals I can keep. I'm warming up to some zoa's and paly's since I got the freebie paly's. I'd like to get a variety on a single rock though. I love brain coral so one or more types of that is in the future, some frogspawn and/or hammerhead coral, I've seen some chalices I like, some acropora, honestly whatever catches my eye. Given it's a nano I want to go for quality over quantity. Small frags to start of some very nice corals and then let it grow out.

Just took a look at your thread. Beautiful tank!

tanks looking good, have you trimmed the metallic reflector covering the stock fans inside of the hood? This immidiatly cleared up some flow and helped with temps. My tank does get to 83 if we cook dinner in the evenings, but I dont think its highly detrimental (I hope, no signs of stress for a long time now). I would definetly say to get a reliable pair of fans, ones with shafts that spin on ball bearings. Couple this with a 12V 350mA wallwart while pulling the stock transformer in your hood, and your good to go with stock lights!

tanks looking good, have you trimmed the metallic reflector covering the stock fans inside of the hood? This immidiatly cleared up some flow and helped with temps. My tank does get to 83 if we cook dinner in the evenings, but I dont think its highly detrimental (I hope, no signs of stress for a long time now). I would definetly say to get a reliable pair of fans, ones with shafts that spin on ball bearings. Couple this with a 12V 350mA wallwart while pulling the stock transformer in your hood, and your good to go with stock lights!

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into all of the above.

I'm not really a planner :D. Once I upgrade the lighting I'll get a better idea of which corals I can keep. I'm warming up to some zoa's and paly's since I got the freebie paly's. I'd like to get a variety on a single rock though. I love brain coral so one or more types of that is in the future, some frogspawn and/or hammerhead coral, I've seen some chalices I like, some acropora, honestly whatever catches my eye. Given it's a nano I want to go for quality over quantity. Small frags to start of some very nice corals and then let it grow out.

Just took a look at your thread. Beautiful tank!

Thank you for the compliment. I hear you on the buy whatever catches your eye. But, if I did it all over, I wish I'd planned out all my purchases instead. Saves time, money, and headache! Plus you know exactly what you want and where you plan on placing it :)

Thank you for the compliment. I hear you on the buy whatever catches your eye. But, if I did it all over, I wish I'd planned out all my purchases instead. Saves time, money, and headache! Plus you know exactly what you want and where you plan on placing it :)

I hear ya. I have some ideas. I think it's like buying your first house though to be honest. You don't really know what you want until you've gone through the building process at least once. I plan on going fairly slow.

DK, I have looked into them but feel the SilentX name might be overrated. I'll run by a Fry's near my work next month and pick up a couple fans though. I'll also try trimming the aluminum as suggested.

ohhh me too me too *drool*

Please note you will need a reef controller or potentiometers + 10V AC Adapter to run the dimmable drivers.

RKL or Apex will be fine right? and all that is needed is a 10v AC adapter.

anyone know the comparison to MH like 150-250 watt etc?

however do you need to solder the wires or anything?

ohhh me too me too *drool*

RKL or Apex will be fine right? and all that is needed is a 10v AC adapter.

anyone know the comparison to MH like 150-250 watt etc?

however do you need to solder the wires or anything?

Be careful on which driver you get. I believe the Apex and RKL use different methods for dimming. You should be able to find out from rapidled which drivers is compatible with which dimmer. Soldering will be required.

My novice guess from reading is that these would be equivalent to 150w MH. That's a very uneducated guess though :P . From my reading these should be able to support any kind of coral though. I'll probably go 12RB to 8CW.

ooh shiny ^^

Should've seen the detritus cloud stirred up when I turned this thing on. Sand was fine for the most part but the rocks got a nice cleaning! I'm already considering a second one to stick on the other side of the tank. After LED's though :D.

Should've seen the detritus cloud stirred up when I turned this thing on. Sand was fine for the most part but the rocks got a nice cleaning! I'm already considering a second one to stick on the other side of the tank. After LED's though :D.

and if it is too much flow you can always send it my way :lol:

and if it is too much flow you can always send it my way :lol:

Haha! Nice thing about this one is I can dial it in just perfect! This thing is an awesome powerhead. Don't regret the purchase one bit.

Be careful on which driver you get. I believe the Apex and RKL use different methods for dimming. You should be able to find out from rapidled which drivers is compatible with which dimmer. Soldering will be required.

My novice guess from reading is that these would be equivalent to 150w MH. That's a very uneducated guess though :P . From my reading these should be able to support any kind of coral though. I'll probably go 12RB to 8CW.

I have a diy 12/12 RB/CW and if I cranked it all the way up it would melt everything in the tank. Closer to a 400W MH IMO.

If your interested I have an extra biocube led set up with a reefkeeper head unit and alc. I've been thinking about selling it because its just sitting in my garage right now and I'm not going to set up another tank in this house. The led's were only run for about 2 months or so.It's missing the PC4 because I added it to my other reefkeeper.I used a reefkeeper and ALC for dimming so it has sunrise, sunset and storm capabilities. Not sure how the storm works as it is only for the AI SOL units, but every day at 1pm I get cloud cover and lightning!

Tank is looking great, it will be fun to watch it progress.

nice are those your last fish?

Thanks! I've wanted both of these and a LFS was having a buy one get one 50% off and had both in stock.

Probably add one more in a month or two. Either a six line or a type of flasher wrasse.

Archived