Cultivated Reef

What is this LPS?

Akiowalt

Hi, I'm not sure what is this. I search here and there but can't find the answer. Looks like some kind of LPS. Please ID.

During March and came with attached rock:

DSC_0042.jpg

Now with regular feeding:

2011-05-232124.jpg

Don't think that's an LPS... Looks more like an anemone.

Put on some gloves and try to touch it. Does it actually have a skeleton or is it soft?

Don't think that's an LPS... Looks more like an anemone.

Put on some gloves and try to touch it. Does it actually have a skeleton or is it soft?

Is LPS. It shows the skeleton when disturb and with branch like most of the LPS.

I think it does look like LPS. Could be a form of hitchhiker cup coral (not to uncommon). Looks almost like a tiny fungia in the second pic...

Definitely NOT a fungia then. Colangia, Phyllangia or Astrangia perhaps? Or deflated baby Euphyllia.

Yes. some kind of Phyllangia or Astrangia. But, how to define them?

Definitely a fungia. I had one that came in tiny and looked EXACTLY like that. It was covered in zoas too. I chopped the zoas out from around it and now it's about the size of a half dollar or bigger.

haha, this thread is pretty amusing, but just wait for it to grow, I promise you will see that it's a plate. If you get it to close up, you'll see that the skeleton structure is the same.

Deleted User 4

hahaha it's funny how people here can't even identify what this coral is, it is so obvious that it is a fungia plate baby coral, I've had a baby 1 like that before so I know what it looks and is. No doubt about it being a baby plate. :D

thanks guy! I think it sounds like plate coral, and this might be the first stage that comes with stalk as following:

from lakshwadeep

---Moving Around------------

All juvenile fungiids are attached to the substrate by a stalklike base (called acanthocaulus stage in life). At a certain size, the stalk dissolves, and the polyp begins the free-living phase (anthocyathus stage). When detached, fungiids are able to move over the bottom (if the physical surface allows this). There are two types of movement: active and passive migration. Active migration is usually at night where the polyp uses a series of inflation and deflation and pushes against adjacent surfaces. Passive migrations occurs when the a fungiid is swept by water movement. This can be dangerous if they end up in a reef fissure, but they usually can upright themselves after getting flipped over (larger species cannot do this, however).

• 3 months later...
Thats a nice looking plate.

Thanks. this is free!

gorgeous

Thanks to you also. This guy eats like pig and almost takes everything fall under him. :D

• 2 months later...

You have a "plate factory" there. Very unique and rare find. There are only several people I know to have been lucky enough to get one!

Archived