inTank Media Baskets

150w HL Bulb And 175w Electronic Ballast

DoctaReefer

DoctaReefer

Question, I have a Coralife HQI fixture that runs a 150w bulb. My new ballast is a Coral Vue 175W non-switchable. With everything I thought I knew about electricity tells me the bulb will only take what it needs, or am I wrong on that? I was justing wondering if that could be the problem with my bulb flickering and being washed out, it seems to have also washed out some of my Coraline.

I run a 150 pheonix hqi on a coralvue 175 balast. The specs say that its ok, and I've never had a problem. good luck

DoctaReefer
I run a 150 pheonix hqi on a coralvue 175 balast. The specs say that its ok, and I've never had a problem. good luck

I also have the exact same bulb and it flickers now that I put it on a electronic ballast. How did you wire yours up? I soldered my connections then wrapped it in electrical tape. The bulb had been running on the stock magnetic ballast so I wonder if it messed up it I had it running on that ballast for about 3 1/2 months.

You should be able to cut the ends of the wires coming out of your fixture and the ones coming out of your balast put a female cord end on the balast cord and a mail cord end (plug) on your fixture cord and then just plug them together. Ive done this with about 3 balasts and never had a problem.

DoctaReefer
You should be able to cut the ends of the wires coming out of your fixture and the ones coming out of your balast put a female cord end on the balast cord and a mail cord end (plug) on your fixture cord and then just plug them together. Ive done this with about 3 balasts and never had a problem.

That's what I did, it must be a defective ballast does your CoralVue have a switch or fan on it? I ordered this one from my LFS and I saw the ones online that have the switch and fans i'm wondering if I have a old model

No switch no fan. It's been running for about 8 months now. Do you have an old lamp you can test and see if it flickers too?

DoctaReefer
No switch no fan. It's been running for about 8 months now. Do you have an old lamp you can test and see if it flickers too?

Well it didn't seem to flicker as much on my stock bulb. I did however get a brand new Giesmann bulb and took back all three of them because they flickered. My phoenix bulb didn't flicker as much if at all but the color looks washed out I wonder if its just the bulb, I have taken it out many times and I always make sure it's free of oily fingerprints. I just wonder if me taking it out so many times has contributed to it looking this way.

Well it didn't seem to flicker as much on my stock bulb. I did however get a brand new Giesmann bulb and took back all three of them because they flickered. My phoenix bulb didn't flicker as much if at all but the color looks washed out I wonder if its just the bulb, I have taken it out many times and I always make sure it's free of oily fingerprints. I just wonder if me taking it out so many times has contributed to it looking this way.

There are a lot of cords around my ballast and connections, I wonder if it's possible it's getting electrical interference?

I don't know. You can probably get a cheap filter to snap on the cord if it is interference. I'm no electrician but your balast must have a problem. Thans my guess. Good luck buddy.

DoctaReefer
I don't know. You can probably get a cheap filter to snap on the cord if it is interference. I'm no electrician but your balast must have a problem. Thans my guess. Good luck buddy.

Thanks lol

Formula462

Man I'm real sorry about your fish/ tank in general. But thanks to the wonder of rigged gift card contests, the cost of new sand and liverock should be about covered. ;)

Archived