• NO NAME FAVIA (NEED ID)
  • BLASTO
  • EAGLE-EYE ZOA
  • GREEN-ISH ZOA (NEED ID)
  • GREEN HAIRY MUSHROOM
  • REVIVING GSP
  • FROGSTOOL

LarryMoeCurly

There may be an easier way, but I upload the image to a photo hosting site (imageshack, tinypic, photobucket). Then use the image code/tags.

michelleshusband
There may be an easier way, but I upload the image to a phot hosting site (imageshack, tinypic, photobucket). Then use the image code/tags.

ty for the help.

LarryMoeCurly

It looks like you just dumped a bucket of rocks into your tank and then stood back a few feet and threw the frags in. (and I mean that in the best possible way :D )

michelleshusband

lol. yes, thats exactly what i did.

tried the aragonite sands, skimmer, sump, refugium, etc but all just a big hassle.

when i figure out how to keep the corals happy, i'll be upgrading to a bigger tank.

• 1 month later...
michelleshusband

2.5G seemed little to small to fit 14lbs of live rock, so I upgraded to 5.5G.

Equipment

Aqueon HOB 200GPH

Koralia Nano 425GPH

TOM surface skimmer

DIY auto top off

Ebay LEDs

SAM_1194.jpg

FTS

SAM_1195.jpg

LED

SAM_1183.jpg

SAM_1179.jpg

Working on my 20L. Built overflow (bean animal) and the sump but... wife won't let me.

SAM_1190.jpg

SAM_1191.jpg

SAM_1189.jpg

caught some carps/crappie or bluegill from a nearby lake.

overflow is silent but i'm having difficulty restarting the pump. anyone have the same issue with bean animal?

ThePhilosopher

Nice tank and nice choice of corals. I somehow missed this one a while back. Especially loving your LED lighting. I'd love to do something like that soon.

michelleshusband
you gonna eat those carps?

my friend tried one. they are not food.

Nice tank and nice choice of corals. I somehow missed this one a while back. Especially loving your LED lighting. I'd love to do something like that soon.

thx. the led thread is by tinygiant 3w ebay and contains 250 posts filled with information your looking for. total cost is about 70-80 dollars including gu10 housing.

so far so good with noticeable growth (had them for about 2 months). coral colors really pop.

its recommended but i haven't tried crees so i can't make a comparison.

haha, were they too bony to eat? what will you do with them if you are not going to eat them? it looks like you are cycling that tank for FW or holding them for something.

michelleshusband

testing the overflow and sump.

they just taste bad period.

i love fishing so im watching their behavior, muhahahaha.

no more of those fishless trips.

they are considered one of the beetter edible fish. I don't like eating them either though lol.

how are the panfish? have your tried eating them yet?

sorry i must be getting way off topic here lol. nice start to the pico!

michelleshusband

lol.

you really don't wanna eat these carps.

they are like 2 inches long and they came from dirty lake.

they just taste so awful, according to my friend who ate it.

i can't imagine eating a carp under 30 cm anyway. 2" is tiny as they are in their first year of life.

an no philo, lol, i dont have any carp fetish. I like fishing for them though, not so much the eating part. i dont get how so many people love eating them, they are horribly bony.

btw did you friend try eating one of the tiny ones you caught? because cleaning a tiny fish is tough w/o rupturing the gall bladder and once that's destroyed the whole fish will taste insanely bitter and gross. I'm guessing that is what happened to your friend haha.

michelleshusband
i can't imagine eating a carp under 30 cm anyway. 2" is tiny as they are in their first year of life.

an no philo, lol, i dont have any carp fetish. I like fishing for them though, not so much the eating part. i dont get how so many people love eating them, they are horribly bony.

btw did you friend try eating one of the tiny ones you caught? because cleaning a tiny fish is tough w/o rupturing the gall bladder and once that's destroyed the whole fish will taste insanely bitter and gross. I'm guessing that is what happened to your friend haha.

he tried about a 2 lbs fish caught up in hemet lake in california. they are known for their carps.

during the summer, around 6 to 7 pm, you will see something sparkling in the water. those sparks are not a shimmer from the sun, but a million carps jumping up in the water.

you will literally catch one every 2 to 5 mins of cast. during the month of july, they have carp tourney where the city offer price to biggest carp caught and for quarter for every lbs of carp you caught. its beautiful up there but its extremely hot.

another bad thing about this lake is that all u catch is carps. i've caught 100 carps and 1 trout and 2 catfish.

michelleshusband

try google map, its a tiny lake. biggest fish was i think 5lb catfish. its not the quality but quantity there. :)

yes, its extremely fun but extreme whether. so cold at night and hot during day.

one time, we were night fishing and we ran out of flash light batteries, so 2 of my friends went down to get some and i was alone in the darkness, fishing. caught like 30 fish within 2-3hours. so cold and scary out there with the wild animals crying from across the lake. it sounded like group of coyote or some pack of wolves killing another animal. beastly cry continued for like an hour and i still can't forget that night.

• 2 weeks later...
michelleshusband

QUICK UPDATE 7/24/11

FTS 7/24/11

SAM_1217.jpg

FIRE SHRIMP SHOWING FACE (FINALLY)

SAM_1218.jpg

TOADSTOOL DOUBLING SIZE DURING DAY

SAM_1219.jpg

MUSHROOM TRIPLING SIZE DURING DAY

SAM_1220.jpg

is it normal to shrink during the night?

CHROMIS ALL UP IN THE FACE, CONSTANTLY

SAM_1221.jpg

thank god, they don't fight or attack my corals like my damsels use to do.

FROGSPAWN SPLITTING AFTER LIKE 2 MONTH

SAM_1223.jpg

DUNCAN CONSTANTLY BEING CLOSED FINALLY OPENED (HALF-WAY)

SAM_1224.jpg

these duncans' don't take food in like frogspawn. they stay closed for days before opening for few days and back to closing for a while. need some guidance on these corals. i thought they were suppose to be easy. they get plenty of flow and lights. anyone experiencing duncan trouble?

CANDY CANE BONEY AS HELL

SAM_1225.jpg

tried feeding but no luck so far. boney as hell. received them like this from a friend, hopefully its not dead.

NO NAME ZOA

SAM_1226.jpg

these guys are doing awesome

TOP WATER SKIMMER IN ACTION

SAM_1228.jpg

SAM_1227.jpg

need some adjusting but after it becomes silent and bubble free. i'd recommend it for picos aquaclear.

NO NAME GREENISH ZOA

SAM_1229.jpg

these guys are awesome, they eat so much and look healthy. need id.

GSP COMING BACK FROM DEAD

SAM_1230.jpg

this GSP stayed closed for about a month and was covered in algae. I toothbrushed it to death and i got 3-5 polyps. so it is true, GSP can't be killed...

EAGLE-EYE ZOA

SAM_1232.jpg

they are doing great. multiply fast and color is just awesome under the leds.

RED MUSHROOM

SAM_1233.jpg

tripling size during the day and looks great everyday.

FAVIA

SAM_1234.jpg

anyone know what the hell this is? it stopped taking food long time ago and hasn't changed shape, color, anything for the past month. it's like a rock.

PUSLING XENIA

SAM_1235.jpg

doing awesome. my damsel kept on eating it so i had to get rid of him.

RANDALL PISTOL SHRIMP

SAM_1207.jpg

in my bedroom 2.5 pico. digging constantly. hope he pairs with the yellow watchman goby that i just got.

YELLOW WATCHMAN GOBY

SAM_1205.jpg

much bigger than the shrimp.

its normal for corals to take up water and expand during the day to maximize their body surface area that collects sunlight. They normally expel water during the night and shrivel up or close.

3 chromis in a 5.5 gal is not a good idea...

LPS can grow very slowly so its normal for candy canes to be a bit annoyed and the favia not to do anything while they are adjusting to the new tank.

Archived