ReefCleaners.org

Bonsai Reef Underwater, Breaking down!

d'Espresso

Looks good! I was thinking you might want it a little taller, and maybe add some more sand? I really do like minimalist scapes though.

I think i need to make it a little taller like you said but i am going slow because i don't want to do a little cycle in this tank because i am getting ready to transfer everything to this tank soon. So wish me luck J! :lol:

i like the minimalist scape too!

Are you getting gobies? :D

:ninja: what do you think my friend? how's that ADA tank coming along?

Damn nice looking tank setup...Sweet!!!!!

Trying my best to make it the cleanest as possible and easy to functionable too! Thanks!

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6

:ninja: what do you think my friend? how's that ADA tank coming along?

Haha the ADA is coming along slow. I've been much busier than I ever thoughtg Id be. Hopefully I can get it running after band camp (leaving in 15 minutes...) for a week.

I like the left island, I think the right island would look cool as a tall structure, with little caves and overhangs

Thanks yoshii! I thought of trying out the right island a little taller maybe hooking up the right arm curving over to the left a little bit. I was thinking about giving that special spot for softies corals side and the left upper side for SPS and the bottom are zoas. We'll see how this one will go. I plan to add like 1-2 hand full of sand adding slowly into the tank each week so i won't cause a mini cycle that will kill all the corals.

Looking really good so far!

Thanks Bro!

Sump Layout

i am getting ready to layout the sump parts and adjust anything that need to be tweak before setting up permanently. i just wanted to make sure i understand where everything will go. I got most of the stuff from this week and last week. Thanks J-ranko for the nice heater, ato, and overflow!

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9288.jpg

***I have a problem with the new Rio1400 Pump return. How do you guys stop it from making it so much noise. It's so loud that i can not sleep at night. I turn it on last night to test it out but had to turn it off. Do i need to run it in a bucket with water for a week to get it to break in or does the Rio pump is running noisy like that? HELP! Thanks!

***** I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT BROTHER, YOU ARE MOST DEF THE BEST, CLEANEST SETUP I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE ************

Thanks yoshii! I thought of trying out the right island a little taller maybe hooking up the right arm curving over to the left a little bit. I was thinking about giving that special spot for softies corals side and the left upper side for SPS and the bottom are zoas. We'll see how this one will go. I plan to add like 1-2 hand full of sand adding slowly into the tank each week so i won't cause a mini cycle that will kill all the corals.

Thanks Bro!

Fish Net Cover and Sump Layout

Today, i finally got the chances to finish my fish cover net. Took me 2 hours to plan, layout, cut, crimp, and put together. It came out pretty nice and is tuck inside the tank so that it won't be to much of an eyesore. i got the clips from ADA back in Feb. But here's what i did. not the best diy but it will work for now.

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

Check out those MP10s in action with how the water is flowing! :D

I made a slot special fitment for the overflow, that's why you will see why i cut the cover like the way it is.

Also, i am getting ready to layout the sump parts and adjust anything that need to be tweak before setting up permanently. i just wanted to make sure i understand where everything will go. I got most of the stuff from this week and last week. Thanks J-ranko for the nice heater, ato, and overflow!

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9288.jpg

***I have a problem with the new Rio1400 Pump return. How do you guys stop it from making it so much noise. It's so loud that i can not sleep at night. I turn it on last night to test it out but had to turn it off. Do i need to run it in a bucket with water for a week to get it to break in or does the Rio pump is running noisy like that? HELP! Thanks!

Are you still having noise issues with the rio?

I've never had a rio be that loud, nor have I had to break one in. im using 2400 on my 20L and i've never had issues with it

this build is coming out great. Love the stand with the sliding door. i need to add that to my stand. Tired of removing the screws for the front panel.

I have a question, what is that black box (10:04 / i guess is the time) on the top shelf. is that a radio?

re-edit:

Fish Net Cover and Sump Layout

i finally got the chances to finish my fish cover net. Took me 2 hours to plan, layout, cut, crimp, and put together, i also cut out 2 net to combine into one just incase i decide to have small gobies or a jawfish that wanted to escape and jump out the tank. It came out pretty nice and is tuck inside the tank so that it won't be to much of an eyesore. i got the 4 clips from ADA back in Feb. when i had the ADA 30c tank But here's what i did. Not the best diy but it will work for now.

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_9290.jpg

Check out those MP10s in action with how the water is ripping and flowing! :D

I made a slot special fitment for the overflow, that's why you will see why i cut the cover like the way it is.

Are you still having noise issues with the rio?

I've never had a rio be that loud, nor have I had to break one in. im using 2400 on my 20L and i've never had issues with it

No not anymore, i need to downgrade the pump because it is to strong for my return flow. i try to put a ball valve to control the return but the more i close the flow the hard it is on the pump and that is where the noise is coming from. It is pumping strong but closing cause it to squeak or noisy. Could i possible get away with a MJ900?

this build is coming out great. Love the stand with the sliding door. i need to add that to my stand. Tired of removing the screws for the front panel.

I have a question, what is that black box (10:04 / i guess is the time) on the top shelf. is that a radio?

Thank you sir! You definitely going to love the easy access to the equipment or things you need to do inside the stand. It only cost between $6-15 at your local hardware store.

The black box is something i will talk about for my lighting. :P

chilled_fire

Love the clean setup. very nice.

I am using the same sump on 15 gallon and same pump :) I am not sure if you are using the suction cups below the bump cause mine doesnot make any noise, also make sure that the pump doesnot touch any of the walls

Love the clean setup. very nice.

I am using the same sump on 15 gallon and same pump :) I am not sure if you are using the suction cups below the bump cause mine doesnot make any noise, also make sure that the pump doesnot touch any of the walls

Do you have any photo or a thread page of your tank? would like to checkout sometime..

I do have the suction cup below but the reason why it making noise is that. I tested everything with the pump by itself and it does not make any noise but when i put on the ball value to control the flow, the pressure from the pump is pumping to hard to the return and the setting from the ball value that the water return is that i wanted to come out low then the overflow. I don't want to have the water coming back to the tank to much because it will cause a flood. So i have an idea...

This might work and might not. I will try to put an emergency (ATS) - Auto Top STOP on the display to control the flood if my pump ever try to over flood the tank then the ATS will tell the Pump to stop pumping water. This might sound like a good idea for people with this problem with the Proflex Sump.

Will try to test it out this week. I just need to get some more parts. Is this a good idea?

how are you attaching the cover to the tank? i've got some clear netting for my 25g mr aqua and im struggling to figure out how to keep it on the inside of the rim so its not resting on top of the tank

chilled_fire
Do you have any photo or a thread page of your tank? would like to checkout sometime..

I do have the suction cup below but the reason why it making noise is that. I tested everything with the pump by itself and it does not make any noise but when i put on the ball value to control the flow, the pressure from the pump is pumping to hard to the return and the setting from the ball value that the water return is that i wanted to come out low then the overflow. I don't want to have the water coming back to the tank to much because it will cause a flood. So i have an idea...

This might work and might not. I will try to put an emergency (ATS) - Auto Top STOP on the display to control the flood if my pump ever try to over flood the tank then the ATS will tell the Pump to stop pumping water. This might sound like a good idea for people with this problem with the Proflex Sump.

Will try to test it out this week. I just need to get some more parts. Is this a good idea?

sorry , its been months since i updated my thread planning to do it soon though :P

The controller(valve ) is this the same which came with pump ? I am using the one which came with pump and its working good.

the pump itself is too powerful and without the controller even my tank would overflow.

i myself am looking something to avoid the overflow , if you just want to add a new controller checkout ehiem regulators they are great.

let me know how ATS goes and where can i find one , i need one for the wooden floor , else my wife would kill me :P

Hey d'Espresso,

Try Tee-ing off the return line back into the sump instead of only using the ball valve to restrict it. The pump is probably too powerful so it would be best to divert the flow instead. Get a barbed T-adapter at the hardware store (and some hoses) and just direct the excess flow into the sump's main chamber or overflow section. make sure you submerge it to minimize noise.

No not anymore, i need to downgrade the pump because it is to strong for my return flow. i try to put a ball valve to control the return but the more i close the flow the hard it is on the pump and that is where the noise is coming from. It is pumping strong but closing cause it to squeak or noisy. Could i possible get away with a MJ900?

MJ900 could work, depending on the head length of your plumbing

Im not a huge fan of restricting flow with ball valves ... its hard on the pump and can reduce the life span

I like J-rankos idea of diverting the excess with a T in the line

Im not a huge fan of restricting flow with ball valves ... its hard on the pump and can reduce the life span

This is a very common misconception. It really depends on the pump's rating. Restricting the flow to a certain extent doesn't hurt at all since it only adds head pressure to the pump. It's equivalent to adding corners and turns to the output plumbing and raising the output terminal height.

My suggestion is to use a combination of both the ball valve and the T. Or otherwise get a lower rated pump like the MJ's.

Hey d'Espresso,

Try Tee-ing off the return line back into the sump instead of only using the ball valve to restrict it. The pump is probably too powerful so it would be best to divert the flow instead. Get a barbed T-adapter at the hardware store (and some hoses) and just direct the excess flow into the sump's main chamber or overflow section. make sure you submerge it to minimize noise.

Will definitely head down to my Local hardware store to find a Tee off return.

I like that idea too!

This is a very common misconception. It really depends on the pump's rating. Restricting the flow to a certain extent doesn't hurt at all since it only adds head pressure to the pump. It's equivalent to adding corners and turns to the output plumbing and raising the output terminal height.

My suggestion is to use a combination of both the ball valve and the T. Or otherwise get a lower rated pump like the MJ's.

I am going with your idea. Couple days ago it was silence until i touch it again and started making that squeaking noise once more. So i will need to find a Tee return line and point it the tube back down to the bottom of the tank. I think your idea is very useful and i will give it a try. Everything is up and running happy. The last thing i need to do is install the ATO unit and my reservior which i have done but getting a little minor problem with the water top off siphon. On the ATO i have the MJ900 pumping in the reservior back to the DT because if i have the reservior and sump sitting side by side it will cause the MJ900 tube line to still flow some water into the sump. So i just hang it up to the DT and just let it flow the water for the top off.

J-Ranko - Can you tell me what is the aqualifter is use for?

I also need to be thinking about how i will have an emergency shut off on the return pump if EVER in any situation my electric power went black out and cut back on and cause a flood from the return pump. The overflow will not start do to manually self start and the pump will keep pump water from the sump and will cause a flood. What should i do?

ReefCleaners Cleanup Crew

My Cleanup Crew came in the other day and just got the chance to post up some pictures. i order the 15gallon package but JOHN @ Reefcleaners.org is amazing and have hooked me up more then what he posted online. It arrived safe, NO DOA, and was one hell of a deal with the discounted and with free shipping. I can't thank him and his company enough but just passing the good words to other members that everyone should order from him. Enough said here are some pictures..

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

Will definitely head down to my Local hardware store to find a Tee off return.

I like that idea too!

I am going with your idea. Couple days ago it was silence until i touch it again and started making that squeaking noise once more. So i will need to find a Tee return line and point it the tube back down to the bottom of the tank. I think your idea is very useful and i will give it a try. Everything is up and running happy. The last thing i need to do is install the ATO unit and my reservior which i have done but getting a little minor problem with the water top off siphon. On the ATO i have the MJ900 pumping in the reservior back to the DT because if i have the reservior and sump sitting side by side it will cause the MJ900 tube line to still flow some water into the sump. So i just hang it up to the DT and just let it flow the water for the top off.

J-Ranko - Can you tell me what is the aqualifter is use for?

I also need to be thinking about how i will have an emergency shut off on the return pump if EVER in any situation my electric power went black out and cut back on and cause a flood from the return pump. The overflow will not start do to manually self start and the pump will keep pump water from the sump and will cause a flood. What should i do?

The aqualifter used to be my ATO pump. I used it to send top-off water from the reservoir into the sump.

Also, if the overflow is correctly primed, it should maintain siphon and restart the overflow automatically when the power is restored after a power outage. (It is able to maintain siphon because of the check valve in the line.) That's the way it's worked when my tank went through power outages. Have you tested it by cutting power to the return pump then restarting it? PM me if you need more details.

pismo_reefer

John Maloney is good people....

I would only ever buy CUC's from him!

One time, he went out of his way to pick some local shoreline plants for me.

I was building a florida biotope.

I just sent him an email, and he said "no problem".

Just charged me for shipping!

Hell of a guy! :happy:

how come all the pics say they're deleted

;) i was messing with the edit photobucket and just renamed everything. Thanks for pointing it out! It should be all back to normal now!

:D

John Maloney is good people....

I would only ever buy CUC's from him!

One time, he went out of his way to pick some local shoreline plants for me.

I was building a florida biotope.

I just sent him an email, and he said "no problem".

Just charged me for shipping!

Hell of a guy! :happy:

Very well said..

Thats crazy how he went out of his way to get you some shoreline plants... John is Awesome!

Archived