Cultivated Reef

CHUCK'S COLLEGE NANO REEF

chucktdbm321

chucktdbm321

i swear its almost impossible to take any descent pics with a point and shoot with leds. Unless i dim the blues like the whole way down.

Do you guys was out your chemipure elite during water changes? When i do so much gunk comes out its not even funny. Im thinking i should do it mid week now instead cause it could be causing a sudden change in levels or whatever. Im just trying to narrow down why some of the corals looked pissed. This happened before the switch to leds which is probably not helping matters lol.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chucktdbm321

Yep they're rastas. Pics are horrible with the blue leds I got two polyps with a baby for free from a friend lol. His tank was infested with astrenia starfish (sp?) and it had one dinky polyp that was closed for weeks on it. I've had it for about a month now. I wish i could get more of those plugs they're magnetic! Would be awesome for some big monti cap frags or something for your back wall.

@Zoafreak Isn't it nuts!! like i was shocked how much gunk was in there makes the whole bottom of the bucket dark. Im guessing its just like trapped detritus and other stuff?

ya. ha detrius... i opened the 1st hidden chamber in my biocube after a year of use and i found an inch of sludge. it was filled with thousands of feather dusters but it all had to go.

chucktdbm321

was this awhile ago or did you just do this? I've heard of the hidden chamber thing and thats just sick lol. Pretty pumped how my leds are bringing some the sps back strong and everything is looking great besides my aog polyps and my slimer looks rough not sure if its gonna make it fav coral too :(

chucktdbm321

yea i hope they keep getting better... I really like sps and all but sometimes i just have ideas flow through my head and it makes me wanna try more lps like acans and chalices and what not lol. Who knows man. I'd be royally f'ed if i had abig tank and had to stock it with stuff. I'd never be able to decide

LOL. i'm going to try both cause i got MH's and i know they do the trick. I think you should see what your LEDS can really do :)

yea i hope they keep getting better... I really like sps and all but sometimes i just have ideas flow through my head and it makes me wanna try more lps like acans and chalices and what not lol. Who knows man. I'd be royally f'ed if i had abig tank and had to stock it with stuff. I'd never be able to decide

haha I hear ya man. I'm into everything basically besides some softies....if I had to fill a big tank I'd be broke lmao.

got a job at a pizza shop! yeah i didnt relize it would be that big (bad at estimating tanks!)! with the stand its about 3 foot from the ceiling!

chucktdbm321

glad to hear you gotta job, if you can get some of those frags ready now so they are nice once im back :D

Getting anxious for the move back up to campus only 3 more days...

chucktdbm321

Thanks, yea i've never seen a colony over like 20 polyps of them (colony belonged to my friend lol). they are always such small frags. Im planning on just growing them out.

we should organize a meet and trade corals...i wouldn't mind some rastas...and i live 20 mins from jason so im sure ive got something youd want!

chucktdbm321

Really??? never knew he was close to us at all lol! Well hell yea i'd wanna check some of that stuff out for sure.

chucktdbm321

yea without a doubt man, i dont get any coral during school usually lol but during christmas break i'll have to make a trip down there

chucktdbm321

At this time tomorrow that tank will be in my dorm 5 hours away from its current location. I usually take two 3.5 gallon buckets and lodge my rock in there and then wrap em in a blanket to insultate but this year im going with my girlfriend and space is limited so i made a divider out of eggcrate for my bucket so now i only need one! Plus i can put this bucket in another one so that there more plastic keeping the temp stable check it out.

014-4.jpg

O here is a pic of my fixture i made it has a 60mm stealth fan that is super quiet. Im not exactly pleased with it but its basically 3 pieces: the front and back are screwed to the hinksink. Then the top, bottom and sides slide over the whole thing and are also screwed in place.

008-6.jpg

Im gonna make a sleeker and nicer one soon that will be very compact. But all in all im happy with my first acryllic project.

Archived