Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

I pay .30/gallon for the water (6 TDS). I buy the big bucket of neomarine salt $66.39 plus shipping for 150g.

Not sure what the salt breaks down to but $2.40 in water per week.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701
I pay .30/gallon for the water (6 TDS). I buy the big bucket of neomarine salt $66.39 plus shipping for 150g.

Not sure what the salt breaks down to but $2.40 in water per week.

Buying bulk is the way to go if you're going to mix, I just never did for some reason. I'm excited with the prospect of having my base water be guaranteed 0 TDS. Still need to test the premix <_<

I buy the 160 gallon bucket when its on sale at petsmart for 34 bucks.

You don't loose alot to evap because of your lid....I loose almost a gallon a day right now do to evap >.<

nevermore1701
I buy the 160 gallon bucket when its on sale at petsmart for 34 bucks.

You don't loose alot to evap because of your lid....I loose almost a gallon a day right now do to evap >.<

My 56gal cichlid tank has an even better fitting glass top, and I lose a couple of cups out of it every few days. I dunno :huh:

nevermore1701
<---rimless display, rimless hob refugium, topless sump

That would explain it!

I'd love to build a sump out of one of my many spare 10g AGAs (or even one of my 20s.....), but I need to find a stand that would hold it. Want the sump thoroughly out of sight. A skimmer, ATO, some 'groves and a buttload of chaeto... Yes please!

Might even be able to build my pod population up enough to support a Mandarin.... /wishful thinking

You could - may i suggest a fat wild caught one though. Me nor several others habe been having luck with ora's latest. They aren't pod hunters...or any food at all hunters it seems lol

nevermore1701

Figured I'd start testing the premixed salt water from the LFS.

First test: Specific Gravity

Stated: 1.023

Measured (with freshly calibrated refractometer): 1.019 :rolleyes:

Didn't even bother with other tests.

Might just try their RO/DI and keep mixing it myself. Sigh.

nevermore1701
Good thing you tested it!

How's the new firefish doing?

So far, so good. Is out about half of the time, hides the rest. Did eat a few hours ago, where as the other one didn't. My shrooms are still pissy, hoping they come out a bit more in the next few days.

So far, so good. Is out about half of the time, hides the rest. Did eat a few hours ago, where as the other one didn't. My shrooms are still pissy, hoping they come out a bit more in the next few days.

I've had mine forever and a day now and it still hides most of the day :rolleyes:

As long as she comes out now and then, it ok with me!

nevermore1701

Bored, so I'm going to go ahead and test the 1.019 (actually 1.018 after triple-checking) premixed saltwater from the LFS (all tests are API, so while not pinpoint, should be close enough).

SG: 1.018

PH: 8.3

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 15ppm (really?! will re-test tomorrow, but I think it's ridiculous for "clean" water)

Phosphates: 0ppm

KH: ~375ppm

Ca: ~360ppm

Edit - rechecked Nitrates, 15ppm reading is correct. Ugh.

nevermore1701
Bored, so I'm going to go ahead and test the 1.019 premixed saltwater from the LFS (all tests are API, so while not pinpoint, should be close enough).

PH: 8.3

Nitrates: 15ppm (really?! will re-test tomorrow, but I think it's ridiculous for "clean" water)

Phosphates: 0ppm

KH: ~375ppm

Ca: ~360ppm

Out of curiosity (and continued boredom) I decided to run the same tests on my tank water, which I changed with 4 gallons of my own mix yesterday afternoon It's been a while since I've tested anything beside SG, I usually only test if I suspect something is wrong.

Results:

SG: 1.024

PH: 8.2

Nitrates: 0ppm

Phosphates: .25ppm

KH: 197ppm

Ca: 360ppm

Not sure where the Phosphates are coming from, and I guess the Chemi-Pure Elite is getting old and not taking care of it. Now I need to decide whether I should give their (supposed) RO/DI a shot or just stick with distilled from Wal-Mart. I may mix up a batch with the LFS' "fresh" water and see how it tests.

I've been using walmart distilled with great success - what I do since I grab 10 gallons at a time. Is most of those come from the same batch - I stick a tds meter in each of the bottles and it normally ranges from 0-2tds. most of the time 0. If it reads above 0 i test that bottle. Also the level you wanna maintain

sg 1.024-1.027(stay to the lower end of this unless you have corals/fish that do better with higher)

nitrogen based tests - 0

phosphates - 0(this one is tricky to do unless you have a refugium/reactor w/ rowaphos)

sea water is 7dkh but we wanna keep it around 9

calcium - the concentration when it is best utilized by corals is 385ppm, anything less and the corals will bring they're calcium structure building to a hault. don't go over 440-450 as calcium will cause precipitation out of the water and also high calcium(over 460) can have the same effect as low calcium

nevermore1701

Thinking about trying a skimmer. I don't think I need one, but for some reason it sounds fun to give a whirl. Not sure which one I'll go with, have some research to do (maybe that's the fun part?).

nevermore1701

2nd Firefish kicked this morning. Guess I'll try something else. Any suggestions for what would go with a B/W Occ and YWG?

Oh no!!!!!! Bummer :(

Some sort of blenny. I'd say a sixline but they get so mean after established (with new additions only). Um....possom wrasse. Probably a blenny is the best way to go.

I might start looking into distilled water instead. Brad...if you are around here...how much do you pay per gallon at walmart?

nevermore1701
Oh no!!!!!! Bummer :(

Some sort of blenny. I'd say a sixline but they get so mean after established (with new additions only). Um....possom wrasse. Probably a blenny is the best way to go.

I might start looking into distilled water instead. Brad...if you are around here...how much do you pay per gallon at walmart?

I thought about a six line, but don't want to risk having conflicts. I have 8 African Cichlids for that :P

A blenny might work, I'll have to see what's around.

FWIW I've been paying something like $0.88/gallon for distilled at Wal-Mart.

Oh....that's a significant increase from my .30/gallon. I remember seeing Arrowhead distilled at the market but it was like $1+ per gallon...no way!

Archived