Innovative Marine Aquariums

Neto's DIY 22g ULNS Shallow Tank

Neto

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i've been a fan of this tank for a while now and I'm planning a shallow rimless build (30L x 14W x 10H) and was wondering if the 1/4" glass you used was thick enough to prevent bowing of any kind. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been a fan of this tank for a while now and I'm planning a shallow rimless build (30L x 14W x 10H) and was wondering if the 1/4" glass you used was thick enough to prevent bowing of any kind. Thanks.

for the height that I used It is perfect.. No bowing at all

Any updates Neto? :)

Yeah sorry guys I need to provide an update, tank looks very different now.. I have been lazy taking pictures lately but will try to get a few soon.

Nah

the space may seem ok... :happy:

But then comes waste buildup and you never want that unless you are planning to have some crazy equipment on you tank! :)

Awesome tank! Very inspiring, I was wondering when you put the glass of the tank together did you have to use clamps to hold it all together? I'd love to try it out, any tips for putting the tank together and what tools you used would be helpful. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Can I put a tang in that size tank like you did

It used to swim around very well before all the SPS started to grow.. However its kind of a chicken now and hides a lot. I am re-homing it soon to a friends 300g tank so he can be happier.

Awesome tank! Very inspiring, I was wondering when you put the glass of the tank together did you have to use clamps to hold it all together? I'd love to try it out, any tips for putting the tank together and what tools you used would be helpful. Thanks

Since the tank is so shallow and the sides dont weight that much, I only used tape to hold the sides in place while the silicone dried. The only tools you will need are tape, masking paper (to cover the centers where you dont want any silicone), silicone (aquarium safe), razor blades and silicone gun. Be confident and fast.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful tank and stand, excellent work! Think you can send me some info and how you built the tank itself? I've always been interested in a DIY tank but have questions on how to silicone it together and stuff. Send me a pm if you get a chance :) I'll be following along!

• 6 months later...

Changes Made:

- took off the sand

- no more chaeto

- full zeovit

- removed yellow tang

- replaced WP25 with MP10WES

Plans for 2015

-Metal Halide 150w and current led setup or ATI 6x24" T5 sunpower unit

-add another MP10WES

Miguel Burguete

Great tank! I started one this week with exactly the same size! I was waiting for a long time from an update from you! Love that tank man!

Great tank! I started one this week with exactly the same size! I was waiting for a long time from an update from you! Love that tank man!

Thanks! You should search for Zook's tank, thats a totm with the same dimentions as ours

Good to see you back. :) Looking forward to seeing the next chapter.

Thanks, your tank is fantastic, congrats on TOTM.... I am actually going to change the light fixture very soon to a T5 ATI unit 6 or 8 bulbs. I have a 6x24 powermodule pending for pickup this saturday but I want to see if I can get a 8x24 fixture first.

Thanks. Your tank was one of my inspirations to go with something shallow. The 8x24 is so sexy, unfortunately we don't get them in South Africa anymore and importing is really expensive. Not sure if you're looking for used (which would make more sense price wise) but there are some new ones on eBay.

Archived