Innovative Marine Aquariums

Neto's DIY 22g ULNS Shallow Tank

Neto

Excellent build!!! Want to see more. How about a look at the business side of the system, the sump. The stand is awesome. Heck you could park a truck on that thing yet win a beauty contest.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I am going to have a lot of questions. I just bought a acrylic tank tonight with the same dims. How tall did you make the stand? Do you find that it is tall enough? I will start a build thread soon also. I also would like to know what size is you dump and do you have any pics? Nice tank I hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours.

Thanks guys

I am still working on improving my sump and the area and also organize the wires. The sump is a 10 gallon but its only filled halfway (5 gallons) because I need the extra space for the return of the water when the electricity goes off. Aproximately 4 gallons of water returns back to the sump whenever the power goes out (not usual). Here are some pics

DSC_0736.jpg

Herbie overflow

DSC_0737.jpg

Man I am going to have a lot of questions. I just bought a acrylic tank tonight with the same dims. How tall did you make the stand? Do you find that it is tall enough? I will start a build thread soon also. I also would like to know what size is you dump and do you have any pics? Nice tank I hope mine turns out at least half as good as yours.

The stand is approximately 38" from the floor until the bottom of the tank. Yes I think the tall is tall enough, you can see it while you are on the sofa and also when you are stand.

Thanks for the look at the sump. I know it is a simple sump to you but I like to see them, never know a simple idea can be a great idea. I like how you went through the trouble to trim out the inside of the cabinet and covering the 2x's. Nice and clean.

Thanks for the look at the sump. I know it is a simple sump to you but I like to see them, never know a simple idea can be a great idea. I like how you went through the trouble to trim out the inside of the cabinet and covering the 2x's. Nice and clean.

Yeah, I had some extra wood laying around and decided to cover the 2x4's. It took out some space though.

• 2 weeks later...

My dreams cube!!! very nice, clear and anazing tank Dude!!!....

How works your herbie overflow? ... I read that´s very quickly system....

Do you adds some chrismas gift your cube?...

• 2 weeks later...

Neto,

Awesome looking tank! Can you post more details about and pictures of the plumbing in the tank? Interested in plumbing sizes for the two overflows and the return. Any grates or guards on top of the two overflow tubes? Any problems with the herbie not being in an overflow box?

Thanks,

Ron

phi delt reefer

very well done - only one criticism :D

your heater needs to be submerged more. if you look on the heater there is a minimum water line mark. Should fit in the return part if you put it sideways. Other than that it looks awesome man, excellent execution.

My dreams cube!!! very nice, clear and anazing tank Dude!!!....

How works your herbie overflow? ... I read that´s very quickly system....

Do you adds some chrismas gift your cube?...

The herbie overflow works really well, silent and efficient. My skimmer makes more noise than the actual overflow.

I added a koralia 550 for more flow and removed the 240gph. I will buy more frags soon though.

Neto,

Awesome looking tank! Can you post more details about and pictures of the plumbing in the tank? Interested in plumbing sizes for the two overflows and the return. Any grates or guards on top of the two overflow tubes? Any problems with the herbie not being in an overflow box?

Thanks,

Ron

the main overflow (shorter tube) is 3/4" and the backup (longest) is 1/2." I used a sponge so that snails dont block it but I will replace this with a plastic net soon. No problems on the herbie overflow, its silent, doesnt bother me at all. I might change the ball valves for the big return so that I can control it better. Remember that with Herbie overflow you want to keep the longer tube with less water as possible so that is silent.

Here is an old picture, you can see the overflow tubes on the back.

P1020879.jpg

very well done - only one criticism :D

your heater needs to be submerged more. if you look on the heater there is a minimum water line mark. Should fit in the return part if you put it sideways. Other than that it looks awesome man, excellent execution.

Yes, I noticed that, I replaced the heater and did a relocation.

thanks for the comments!

I just came back from a 2 1/2 week vacation, i left my tank alone with no one to take a look at it (yes I am brave lol) and most of the stuff made it (85% alive).

I lost 1 of the clownfish (jumped) and also lost a red montipora died completely (RTN). Some of the corals are closed but they should be ok in a few days. Christmas favia is really fat! I left an auto water feeder that I made myself and also left a dry food feeder that fed twice a day. Salinity is the same as before leaving but I think that one more day would have killed the system because It didn't had any more water to feed. I got lucky there. I did a 4 gallon water change, and will do another 4 gallon change today. Other than that, the tank looks pretty OK.

My next plan is to add a10g refugium that will be coupled to the 10g that I currently have. I currently have a 10g with a hole in it. I plan to put macroalgae on it and also a filter sock.

Here is a small picture of my plans:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side view of tanks A & B

FY12SumpPlans.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front view of tank B

FY12SumpPlansB.jpg

Thanks for the additional info. Not sure if you are brave or crazy for leaving the tank unwatched for 2 1/2 weeks. Most I've ever dared to do is 8 days.

Any pictures of the top of those stand pipes for the herbie? It's hard to tell what the tops are like from the picture.

Thanks

Thanks for the additional info. Not sure if you are brave or crazy for leaving the tank unwatched for 2 1/2 weeks. Most I've ever dared to do is 8 days.

Any pictures of the top of those stand pipes for the herbie? It's hard to tell what the tops are like from the picture.

Thanks

Yeah everyone tells me that but I dont have a choice, I dont live near people that can take care of it and I love the hobbie too much hehe..

I will take the picture for you when I get home.

ronl I still owe you some pictures of the overflow, sorry it has been taking long.

Tank is in recovery mode, it is looking better. The frogspawn has opened more, acans are looking great, zoanthids are closed but some have open. I added 4 blue leg hermits so that they can take care of the hair algae that came out due to nitrates..

after 2 4g water changes (8 gallon total) in 2 days I tested the water yesterday and here are the results:

Nitrates: 0

PH: 8.2

Alk: 10dkh

Calcium: 200 (extremely low)

Magnesium: (will test today)

My calcium is extremely low, i am not sure why. I ordered a calcium / alk / magnesium kit from BRS yesterday, hopefully it gets in tomorrow before it gets worst! I dont have any calcium additives right now =(

If the power goes out you would think the loc line would allow water to enter into the sump until the water level is at the bottom of where the loc line connects to the pipe. I dont think loc line is 100% water tight.

I really like the look of your tank though. Especially the stand. I plan on building a stand this weekend and was looking at custom stands to get some ideas. Yours is what I want mine to look like outside but I have different plans for the structure part of it. I love the simple clean look on the stand. The ones with all the crazy moldings look old fashioned to me.

Archived