Cultivated Reef

How do mushrooms move?

Bishop

Got a typical red mushroom that seems to be crawling off it's frag rock. Do these things just crawl around if they don't like a spot or would I have to worry about it letting go and drifting.

I put it in the shade because I thought it would be a good low light coral but I believe it may be wanting some more light. If the mushrooms leave this shaded area, what would be anouther low light photosynthetic coral to fill in a shaded spot of rock. It's an entrance to a large cave. Would need to be something soft, quick to grow, easy to care for.

shrooms can move around until they find a place they like. all of mine seem to move around within an inch or so of where i originally put them before they really start growing.

So you are saying they just crawl? I really don't care how much they crawl as long as they don't let go to let the current carry them to the back of the tank under a rock.

yes. they can "walk" around. a mushroom coral isnt a mushroom like we are used to. its basically an anemone. they also sometimes just release themselves, and float around. very unpredictable.

yea ive had some just "creep" across the rock. others lift off completely then re-attach. think of how anemonies move basically.

The previous posters I think got it right. Mushrooms do whatever they need to do to get light. When I started my Solana I bought a rock covered with mushrooms as an initial coral. The shrooms multiplied like weeds spreading to nearby rocks. They can move and also stretch quite a bit to see directly light. The ones that let go and settled elsewhere were mostly the tiny new ones. I sold the rock but now have a fairly big collection of red and greens mostly on rock next to the where I had the mother colony.

Deleted User 4
Got a typical red mushroom that seems to be crawling off it's frag rock. Do these things just crawl around if they don't like a spot or would I have to worry about it letting go and drifting.

I put it in the shade because I thought it would be a good low light coral but I believe it may be wanting some more light. If the mushrooms leave this shaded area, what would be anouther low light photosynthetic coral to fill in a shaded spot of rock. It's an entrance to a large cave. Would need to be something soft, quick to grow, easy to care for.

you should add sea fan, a hardy one though, then you should be fine caring it, how long have you had this tank?

They can detach from their base and float around, then attach when they find a suitable spot. Or they can slowly creep along. Either or.

Maybe try a colony of zoas? They're pretty hard, some morphs grow super fast, and are tolerant of most light conditions and any other conditions.

Good luck.

• 8 years later...
Lardassreefer

I had a pinkish reddish mushroom in my tank and it was moving quite a bit and one day I turned the lights on and it was gone I’ve rescaped a tad bit since then to improve flow and still the original mushroom is nowhere to be found it’s been a few weeks and on the main rock where I originally put him I’m starting to see small pinkish dots that have been growing larger but it looks flat on the rock do you guys think this could be from the original kinda scratching itself while moving about the rocks? It’s definitely like the same color as the mushroom was 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lardassreefer said:

I had a pinkish reddish mushroom in my tank and it was moving quite a bit and one day I turned the lights on and it was gone I’ve rescaped a tad bit since then to improve flow and still the original mushroom is nowhere to be found it’s been a few weeks and on the main rock where I originally put him I’m starting to see small pinkish dots that have been growing larger but it looks flat on the rock do you guys think this could be from the original kinda scratching itself while moving about the rocks? It’s definitely like the same color as the mushroom was 

yup, when mushroom moves, they usually leave a small bit behind, which then grow into another mushroom.  you can google term "mushroom pedal laceration". there are a few topics out there on this method of their natural reproduction.   basically, they're dropping clones of themselves.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

yup, when mushroom moves, they usually leave a small bit behind, which then grow into another mushroom.  you can google term "mushroom pedal laceration". there are a few topics out there on this method of their natural reproduction.   basically, they're dropping clones of themselves.

One of my shrooms just dropped two "clones "😁

Screenshot_20200220-170415_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1