inTank Media Baskets

Don't buy inverts from Drs. Foster and Smith!

cchardwick

fewskillz
I stopped reading at page 5, but I will say this:

I consider it unfair of them to not fill part of the order because it went out of stock. If it was listed on backorder when you placed the order, it is your fault. If it want on back order after the fact, before they shipped, it is on them. When I order online, I often buy multiple things to make the shipping easier to swallow. Ordering three things for $25, plus $35 shipping is $110 for three things. Having them refund money for two of three items would not cut it with me, because now I am looking at 1 for $60 instead of three for $110.

They *usually* get the item back in stock within their 2 week period then they ship it out for free. I've had it happen once, it's just the chance you take ordering online. Sometimes orders come in simultaneously, there's nothing they can do about it. If they could stop it I'm sure they would, I doubt shipping stuff out for free is good for their bottom line.
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They *usually* get the item back in stock within their 2 week period then they ship it out for free. I've had it happen once, it's just the chance you take ordering online. Sometimes orders come in simultaneously, there's nothing they can do about it. If they could stop it I'm sure they would, I doubt shipping stuff out for free is good for their bottom line.

Well, there are ways to prevent things from "coming in at the same time", but who knows how thier software works. I'd assume it is sophisticated enough to handle that, but maybe not. In any event, I'd probably request that they refund a portion of the shipping too. I'd bet if you explained it to them the way I explained it here, they'd at least consider it.

herranton
Well, there are ways to prevent things from "coming in at the same time", but who knows how thier software works. I'd assume it is sophisticated enough to handle that, but maybe not. In any event, I'd probably request that they refund a portion of the shipping too. I'd bet if you explained it to them the way I explained it here, they'd at least consider it.

I have thought about that too. I think that if you put in the special instructions that you only want the entire order and to contact you if anything is back ordered, they probably wouldn't have a problem with that.

Well, there are ways to prevent things from "coming in at the same time", but who knows how thier software works. I'd assume it is sophisticated enough to handle that, but maybe not.

Things get a bit more complicated when you are dealing with a massive amount of stock, and that stock is live animals. The software is not the weak link.

I'd completely agree with you if we were discussing widgets instead of seastars.

Things get a bit more complicated when you are dealing with a massive amount of stock, and that stock is live animals. The software is not the weak link.

I'd completely agree with you if we were discussing widgets instead of seastars.

True.

True.

I just saw a guy on t.v. cut his own arm,pour gun powder into the bleeding wound,light the gun powder and carterize his own wound. I then read all 7 pages of this thread and said to myself" Boy, I really wish I had some gun powder!".

Are you friends with the good Doctors again, or am I reading your last post all wrong?

Why would they refund you the shipping? They only charge you shipping one time for the order. If items are on backorder can they ship out then it's on them. I can understand your point if say 1 or 2 items were sent out and the rest remained on backorder or were refunded because they couldn't fulfill it. I'm sure they would work with you if that were the situation.

I can understand your point if say 1 or 2 items were sent out and the rest remained on backorder or were refunded because they couldn't fulfill it. I'm sure they would work with you if that were the situation.

This is exactly the situation that was being discussed. Thanks for the roundabout agreement.

Jonthankite
Reading isn't your strong point, neither is your spelling! What makes no sense? My post count or that you don't understand?

BOTH, did you really waste all that time typing that bull#### , ohh sorry i dont spell check everything

gulfsurfer101

You dumbs are being trolled so hard. Let me guess this guy sped through his cylce in 6 hours by peeing in his tank, his coral has grown twice the size in one month, and his rbta is becoming so vibrant under his $hitty pc's and his starfish that he is crying so much about is still alive and spawned 100's of babies in his amazing 6g. Lol you guys bawwed over 7pgs over a big dumb fake.

LOL NICE ONE!

Dude, you are forgetting about my cotinuous water change system that changes 100% of the water every nine days. There's no way that tank will crash with that system installed, I'll bet you ten bucks. It's a system that virtually no one is familiar with in the industry and I'm putting it to the test, and I can guarantee it will handle this load if not more. By the way, a combination of compact fluresent, actinic and LED lighting is surely enough for a long tentacle, which only needs medium light according to just about every website you will see. He is feeding on brine and mysis shrimp twice a week and looks fantastic. And Percula will host long tentacles, just do a google image search. Please do your homework, thank you very much.

Don't feel bad though, all of the old reefers at work are scratching their head in amazment with eyes wide open and jaws dropping, drool everywhere. They can't believe their eyes when they see a month old heavily stocked tank that is thriving with perfect water conditions!

Here we go, we are getting side tracked again. I'm surprised the moderator hasn't locked this thread already, we are drifting way off the topic. My continuous water change system and 6 gallon nano-cube threads are on the other pages, we are mixing it all up.

how do you make up for water that evaporates?

Actually.....you don't have to. I'll just make up my water in my reservoir at 1.022 and let my tank get up to 1.023 or 1.024. At some point it will reach an equilibrium between the higher salinity waste going out and the lower salinity water coming in. I'm sure I'll have to watch it at first, if the salinity drops I can raise the salinity of the water in the reservoir, and if the salinity gets too high I'll lower the salinity in the reservoir. My nanocube only evaporates about a cup of water every few days, not much at all, and that would be one cup out of 1.5 gallons.

That right there says it all about this guy's saltwater knowledge...

Here's the amazing tank! I am drooling over how good it looks /sarcasm/

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3362146

cchardwick

Wow, this thread is still going, and some of it is really tough reading, like maybe gunpowder burning on your arm is better LOLOL.

Here's an update: I did find that they have larger sea stars on their site and asked if they could swap the larger ones for the smaller ones. They said I would have to place a new order, and I'm assuming pay additional shipping charges. I guess I'll just have to wait out the two weeks to see if they get in some small stars and if they actually will ship them for free, which I hope they will. If not, I'll be giving away the starfish I have now and just swallow the $55 loss and will be ordering from another site who does have these starfish in stock. I can tell you I won't be ordering from Drs. Foster and Smith again, that's for sure.

By the way, I tested my salinity in the tank today and it's at 1.024 after running for a week and a half. I made up my new saltwater a bit lower, put it right at 1.0225 instead of 1.023 to see if I can bring it down a little. All is going well, my tank is looking great and the new starfish is really moving around, anemone is doing great, fish are happy, and the cleaner shrimp is a greedy little bugger LOL.

B)

Oh, by the way, I visited the death camp pet store down the street where I bought my Long Tentacle, where their nitrates were 150+ and all their anemones are dying or dead. They also got in about a dozen small brown starfish and they look real bad, I'm guessing they will all die. I really feel good that I saved my long tentacle from that death camp tank!

Wow, this thread is still going, and some of it is really tough reading, like maybe gunpowder burning on your arm is better LOLOL.

Here's an update: I did find that they have larger sea stars on their site and asked if they could swap the larger ones for the smaller ones. They said I would have to place a new order, and I'm assuming pay additional shipping charges. I guess I'll just have to wait out the two weeks to see if they get in some small stars and if they actually will ship them for free, which I hope they will. If not, I'll be giving away the starfish I have now and just swallow the $55 loss and will be ordering from another site who does have these starfish in stock. I can tell you I won't be ordering from Drs. Foster and Smith again, that's for sure.

By the way, I tested my salinity in the tank today and it's at 1.024 after running for a week and a half. I made up my new saltwater a bit lower, put it right at 1.0225 instead of 1.023 to see if I can bring it down a little. All is going well, my tank is looking great and the new starfish is really moving around, anemone is doing great, fish are happy, and the cleaner shrimp is a greedy little bugger LOL.

B)

Oh, by the way, I visited the death camp pet store down the street where I bought my Long Tentacle, where their nitrates were 150+ and all their anemones are dying or dead. They also got in about a dozen small brown starfish and they look real bad, I'm guessing they will all die. I really feel good that I saved my long tentacle from that death camp tank!

I feel so bad for your livestock man. This is sad... your tank is gonna crash so bad. :(

cchardwick
I feel so bad for your livestock man. This is sad... your tank is gonna crash so bad. :(

How can it crash? My continuous water change system handles this load perfectly, in fact my tank doesn't seem that loaded at all compared to other tanks I've had, it's still kind of bare. Wait till I really pack it, then we can talk!

:P

Long tentacle anemones get huge, way bigger than that 6g has room for, + the tank isn't mature, or has enough light to sustain it. I would remove it asap!

cchardwick
Long tentacle anemones get huge, way bigger than that 6g has room for, + the tank isn't mature, or has enough light to sustain it. I would remove it asap!

This is from Drs Foster and Smith:

QUICK STATS

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons

Care Level: Moderate

Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Reef Compatible: Yes

Lighting: Moderate

Look at all the forums on the internet and you'll see that the long tentacle anemone is the hardiest one out there, in fact I got it from a tank with 150ppm nitrates and it was still looking pretty good, at least compared to all the other nems in the tank. These things are tough. True it will outgrow the tank eventually, but then I'll just move it to a bigger tank and get a replacement for my 6g. I'll just use my 6g as my quarantine / in transit tank before it goes into a larger tank. That way I can quarantine and it will change things up in the office tank.

dasstheboss

Let alone the space, what about the lighting? Anemones need intense lighting and a PC won't suffice no matter how much wattage. And I find it ironic that your reference is the same company you were bashing :(

cchardwick

Ok, here are a few more references for ya:

http://www.aquacon.com/anemone.html

Moderate to high lighting

http://www.aquaworldaquarium.com/Articles/...ost_anemone.htm

Macrodactyla doreensis, the Long Tentacle Anemone is one of the easier host anemones to keep.

http://www.petco.com/product/101445/Long-T...le-Anemone.aspx

Lighting Needs: Medium

That was a three minute google search. I can go on if needed............

what about the lighting? Anemones need intense lighting and a PC won't suffice no matter how much wattage.

orly

sogreedy23

Basic PC lighting isn't even moderate light, that's the point. You're so arrogant it's incredible.

cchardwick

What was this topic about? Oh yea, scams. I"ve learned over the years that most scams come out of New York, never buy anything from anyone in New York, or for that matter Nigeria.

:lol:

Archived