SaltCritters.com

Downsizing without Downgrading

ap123

I've tested several lamps and from my experience non of those three, with the possible exception of the bronze one will work. The arms can't be tightened down enough to prevent a gradual lowering in the light throughout the day. The one I found that did work was at Target. The arms can be tightened and the design allows enough airflow around the heatsink so it doesn't over heat. I've had mine up since October and haven't had any decrease in height or need to tighten them.

http://www.target.com/Room-Essentials-Swin...mp;frombrowse=0

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got plenty of hats for you, np. :wizard:

Beau, thanks so much :) I'm checking options, and the feedback helps a lot, I want this to WORK!

BTW, where is Pyro (Tim)

Maybe a floor lamp next to it?

Couldn't link, but something that has a swing arm or movable shade. I saw a spotlight one, a faux stained glass, and basic shade.

Weetabix7
Maybe a floor lamp next to it?

Couldn't link, but something that has a swing arm or movable shade. I saw a spotlight one, a faux stained glass, and basic shade.

I actually thought of that too, Anne!

After reading Beau's comment and thinking about it, it seems to me that it would be important that whatever you get allow you to adjust the height and angle of the bulb.

As we've discussed already, there's a decent chance that some of the livestock you want may need to be acclimated to the light, so being able to adjust the height up and down would be good.

It also give a spotlight effect, so being able to adjust the angle so that you can direct the spotlight where you want it to be most intense would probably be helpful as well.

Floor lamp might be nice. I'm in the same boat as you been looking at fixtures like crazy. I think I'll just wait till I get the bulbs and try them on the fixtures in the store. Make sure they are stepng enough. Miniwinny used pvc over her 20l. Maybe a light that hangs from the ceiling ?

Yay, I'm not completely nuts for thinking floor lamp. :)

Kim, my walls and ceiling are concrete, so drilling into them to hang anything is a huge undertaking. :( Target seems to have a good selection, and I'm thinking I'll check overstock.com, also.

of those 3 IIRC Mr microscope has something closest to #1. He claims that he had to tie a string to it (fear that par38+electric + water = boom) so it wouldnt take a bath.

i always thought something light this would work the best

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ed=0CFMQ8gIwBA#

Yay, I'm not completely nuts for thinking floor lamp. :)

Kim, my walls and ceiling are concrete, so drilling into them to hang anything is a huge undertaking. :( Target seems to have a good selection, and I'm thinking I'll check overstock.com, also.

did i mention i work for con ed & have access to a variety of drills and such?

of those 3 IIRC Mr microscope has something closest to #1. He claims that he had to tie a string to it (fear that par38+electric + water = boom) so it wouldnt take a bath.

i always thought something light this would work the best

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ed=0CFMQ8gIwBA#

did i mention i work for con ed & have access to a variety of drills and such?

I thought of something like that at first, but can't figure out what I'd attach it to, since there's no lip/rim on the tank or the nightstand it's sitting on. I'll admit it, I'm afraid of the fixture/tank explosion possibilities, too. :scarry:

And I don't believe you've ever mentioned access to a variety of drills, opens some more options. :flower:

very nice!

Thanks! :)

Wow I didn't know you lived in a jail cell. LOL

I was looking at something Mark posted in staples. It was a clip on that I could clip onto the back of my stand. I wanted to get the bulbs first then go to the store and try it out.

I really do like the floor lamp idea It would be great

Wow I didn't know you lived in a jail cell. LOL

:haha:

Finally! Now I understand the architect's inspiration when designing this building :P

And hmm, I feel an urge for a lighting fixture as my mother's day present. ;)

Let's see if I can link this, it seems perfect and EASY!

lamp

Is the shade deep enough to contain the bulb aesthetically speaking??????????????

Otherwise looks like it would be sturdy, adjustable and just what the Anne ordered!

Deleted User 6

no, lamp would screw in horizontally, not vertically. won't work unless there's some kind of adapter.

nano-paul

Anne you may laugh at me for this, but do you have a restaurant supply company near by somewhere?

I bet you anything you could find a used fixture that hangs over a booth/table and rig a stand for it. Even maybe mount it to the dresser.

Anne you may laugh at me for this, but do you have a restaurant supply company near by somewhere?

I bet you anything you could find a used fixture that hangs over a booth/table and rig a stand for it. Even maybe mount it to the dresser.

Not laughing, this is an excellent idea! I'm pretty sure there are restaurant supply places downtown. B)

any way to rig up just a basic edison socket to some conduit bent like a shepherd's crook?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but it doesn't sound attractive. This is my living room, and you know I'm quite the Suzy Homemaker. :lol:

Deleted User 6

electrical conduit can be bent pretty easily and you can run the power cord up through the conduit to the socket. it's like making your own floor lamp, except you just attach the bend conduit to the back of the table/desk/whatever you put on the tank.

nano-paul
electrical conduit can be bent pretty easily and you can run the power cord up through the conduit to the socket. it's like making your own floor lamp, except you just attach the bend conduit to the back of the table/desk/whatever you put on the tank.

This is kind of what I was thinking about too. If you can find a cheap light at the restaurant supply house you would have it made.

^^^ all assuming I know what electrical conduit is. Or that I've ever had occasion to make my own floor lamp. :P

Off to check the google.

Archived