ReefCleaners.org

Downsizing without Downgrading

ap123

Hey everyone! :happy:

Here I go again. I've got a new box of loveliness, acrylic and sleek aio! This was JoeD's, I just love how we recycle among our n-r friends. ;) This tank is so clean, dh came home last night, looked at it and said, "He sent you a brand new tank!" :)

Anyway, I figure it falls somewhere btw a large pico and a small nano, 15x15x9. Display area is 15x12, about 3 inches behind a false wall for pumps, chaeto, adventurous critters, etc. Joe threw in a StevieT submersible fuge light, exactly what I wanted. This looks so sexy, I want to keep it that way B)

I don't have a light yet, there's a PAR 38 possibility, and that's the direction I'd really like to go in.

I want to run this one skimmerless, going back to my keeping it clean theme. For those who followed my 45, you know I was vodka dosing in that one since last fall, which worked out well, and I highly recommend it in larger tanks, but obviously, I won't be dosing vodka in this tank. The plan is small, frequent water changes. Going to use a nightstand already in my living room as a stand.

I'm going to select rocks from the big tank, cause I was lucky enough to choose fabulous Vanutu rock as a noob. Need new sand and critters, my current fish are all too big and active to live happily in this tank. Planning for a couple of maxi-minis, sexy shrimp, maybe a goby/shrimp pair, green clown goby, pom pom crab, and we'll see.

I've seen people putting a couple of thin layers of foam under their tanks when using regular furniture as a stand. What kind of foam, and what's the real purpose? Have to get some egg crate to lay over the top as a temp cover, so my dog doesn't decide it's his new water bowl.

Enough words, yeah yeah, get it wet, but I'm slow as ever, need to think and talk everything through before doing.

DSCN1056.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

DSCN1060.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

DSCN1064.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's beautiful. Have fun . Can't wait to see it wet. I would go with the par38's. I'm going to do that over the 20l I have sitting here since last june . LOL

Thanks Kim :) Yes, set up that 20 and let's do eeet! :lol:

Thanks MD. :D Nope, D and I are not related, but I would be proud if we were, and we're practically neighbors. B)

~Anne

Mini-Dude
Thanks Kim :) Yes, set up that 20 and let's do eeet! :lol:

Thanks MD. :D Nope, D and I are not related, but I would be proud if we were, and we're practically neighbors. B)

~Anne

oh ok then cool! Were you talking about D when you said dh in your OP? Or are my 12 y/o eyes going crazy?

Weetabix7

dh=dear husband.

This makes me very :happydance:, Anne.

Fairly certain that the foam is mostly to level the tank if it's sitting on an unlevel surface, to evenly distribute the weight and all.

With a tank this small, not sure you'd need to worry about it.

I used a tall dresser for the stand for the aquarium @ the beginning of the Weetie's Lounge thread, glad to see I'm not the only one who does this!

We can :happydance: together, L. Where's that May pole? :P

Thanks for the foam explanation, I think I'm good without it, then. I was originally going to move the tank and stand to the 45's spot once it's gone, but I think I'm going to leave it where it. This makes me realize I need to switch to a GFI for this outlet. -_-

I used an old nightstand for my 12. and an old desk I found on the curb for my 30gl. See Weets your not the only one. It won't be till summer when the 20l gets wet. I have base rock already in it. Need to paint first. LOL

Now Weets, you know I'm a big fraidy cat, and wouldn't use regular furniture if I didn't see lots of others doing so successfully :)

Thanks Mark :) I'm always going to have :wub: for that 45. :flower: As for your old tv stand, if I know you it was well reinforced first.

nano-paul
Well, hello there, my good knight :happy:

Hello my beautiful princess! :naughtydance:

That tank needs water.

Or Unicorns and glitter. Either will be fine. LOL

fewskillz

This tank looks fantastic just sitting there empty. I can't wait to see it with water and animals in it.

Unicorns and glitter FTW! :D

I agree, Chris, I'm just sitting here admiring it :D

Request for my faster, savvier than I buddies: Could you post links to pics of what could work LED-wise for my hubby? He wants to see how people are rigging their lights, other than a hanging kit, for rimless tanks.

I tried pulling up threads/links myself, but it takes me forever and he has to go to work. The good news is he's psyched to see me fill and start this. :happy:

Markushka

pretty sweet tank. I've always envied the rimless look, but never wanted to drop the money on it. I'm sure this tank will be amazing!

Thanks Mark! I was lucky enough to be offered a fabulous deal B)

Thanks Lisa, I love the look of the third one, the antiqued bronze, but of the three, the design of the second (the architect's) looks the most practical.

Thinking, thinking.

Deleted User 6

lol @ dh

Anne, you have to make sure whatever you get is sturdy enough to hold up the PAR38. They aren't the lightest lights ever.

Weetabix7

So just weld the base of the lamp to an anvil, problem solved. :P

Anne, just plop the antiqued lamp you like on an antique anvil and you're good to go!

In a pinch, you can use it to threaten to throw at the kids if they're bad and take out home invaders.

nano-paul
Plz weld your lovely hat onto the lamp somehow, k?

But then what am I going to put on my head? :(

Archived