Cultivated Reef

Finnex 30MT or CADlights 39g?

crazyfishgirl

crazyfishgirl

New to saltwater and need help deciding. Both have refugiums, both come with protien skimmers, I get 9 more gallons of water with the CADlights system....its more expensive then the finnex but with all things factored in( like live rock) the difference is negligable. So I guess my real question in helping me decide is which one is easier to set up right out of the box? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

crazyfishgirl

post-66534-1304440564_thumb.jpg

post-66534-1304440767_thumb.jpg

The finnex is the first picture. You can see the specs at aquacave. For specs on the cadlights, www.cadlights.com

Deleted User 4

you trying to get metal hallides? if not, I suggest you go something else like biocube29gal or jbj nano cube 28 gal. But those have hoods, for me I like hoods more . Also, you can get biocube 29gal hqi which is metal hallides with no hood or jbj nanocube hqi 28 gal which is hood with mh. If not any of these, then I'd go cad lights 39 gal mainly because it is bigger(9 more gals and 8mm glass), and it comes with protein skimmer, refugium and metal hallides, AND EVEN A STAND, and a cooling unit saying NO CHILLER NEEDED FOR 89 DEGREES OR BELOW IN SURROUNDING TEMPERATURES! And another plus is it is on sale :D for $700 right now whereas for finnex tank with stand costs $700 (regular price) and it has less of 9 gals and it is only 5mm glass thickness but same lighting fixtures. I personally think cadlights tank setup looks way better than finnex, though if you can find better prices else where, then I would reconsider it. Also, I don't know the shipping costs for these sites so that you'll have to check, and you should probably check for other sites to compare prices.

:P

crazyfishgirl

Thanks:) seeing the reasons in writing made up my mind, im definately getting the cadlights. Little nervous tho, I don't think I've spent that much money on all my freshwater tanks combined. Lol.

Deleted User 4
Thanks:) seeing the reasons in writing made up my mind, im definately getting the cadlights. Little nervous tho, I don't think I've spent that much money on all my freshwater tanks combined. Lol.

well, so this is your 1st time taking care of saltwater?? If that is the case, maybe a nanocube or biocube would be a better suggestion since they're cheaper, starter saltwater tanks, and most come with hoods, tanks without lids and hoods tend to have more "fish jumping out of the tank" incidents. But it is really up to you, as long as you know that every month, the tank requires 20-25% water change, hydrometer, and cleaning the skimmer then you're fine. :lol:

doppelganger
But it is really up to you, as long as you know that every month, the tank requires 20-25% water change, hydrometer, and cleaning the skimmer then you're fine. :lol:

read 10% every week or 20% every 2 weeks, refractometer, and cleaning the skimmer...

water changes is probably the most important thing you can do and as a beginner and more often is better to get into a good habit. I don't advise waiting a month to do WC's unless your system is mature and you're comfortable testing.

*edit* and I highly recommend a refractometer. You'll just end up buying one eventually when you realize how inaccurate hydrometers can be especially for a beginner.

crazyfishgirl

I change 20% on 12 tanks every week now, so adding one more tank isn't a problem at all :) I thought about the suggestion of getting a tank like a nanocube or a biocube though, do you know if the biocube 29 gallon hqi has moonlights? I can't seem to find if it does or not.

Deleted User 4
I change 20% on 12 tanks every week now, so adding one more tank isn't a problem at all :) I thought about the suggestion of getting a tank like a nanocube or a biocube though, do you know if the biocube 29 gallon hqi has moonlights? I can't seem to find if it does or not.

wait you have 12 tanks? or you work at a place with 12 tanks? lol I use to work at a fish pet store and I had to clean 30 tanks or so a week, half of those being is saltwater -_-

read 10% every week or 20% every 2 weeks, refractometer, and cleaning the skimmer...

water changes is probably the most important thing you can do and as a beginner and more often is better to get into a good habit. I don't advise waiting a month to do WC's unless your system is mature and you're comfortable testing.

*edit* and I highly recommend a refractometer. You'll just end up buying one eventually when you realize how inaccurate hydrometers can be especially for a beginner.

he's right, 10% a week is fine as well or 20% every 2 weeks :lol:

crazyfishgirl

Actually, I now have 13 tanks :) just set up a shell dwelling cichlid tank using a filter that's been in use for about a year. Call it my mothers day present to myself :) Sooo, since 13 is supposedly an unlucky number, the sooner I set up my saltwater tank the better. I do water changes on saturdays, so I figure i'll do the 10% water change for the saltwater on sundays. And I think I'm going to go with getting the biocube hqi. It seems less complicated, has good lighting, a refugium, but im going to be upgrading the slimmer I think.

Deleted User 4
Actually, I now have 13 tanks :) just set up a shell dwelling cichlid tank using a filter that's been in use for about a year. Call it my mothers day present to myself :) Sooo, since 13 is supposedly an unlucky number, the sooner I set up my saltwater tank the better. I do water changes on saturdays, so I figure i'll do the 10% water change for the saltwater on sundays. And I think I'm going to go with getting the biocube hqi. It seems less complicated, has good lighting, a refugium, but im going to be upgrading the slimmer I think.

wait so you have 13 tanks in your house?? that is crazy, I get your name now lol, well I'm trying to get a job at the petco near my house. Hopefully I can get it so I'd get a discount on some saltwater equipment/ new biocube14 gal which I've been awaiting for as a new replacement on my 10 gal sw tank. So I am guessing this is your only sw tank? haha watch this'll probably happen to you, but just saying that by the time you get into saltwater hobby for a while, you'll most likely lose interest in your freshwater tanks as the same goes for many people not just me lol, because saltwater reef/fish is so much better than freshwater. Then you start to realize why take care of 13 freshwater tanks when you can take care 13 sw tanks, or something like that(though 13 sw tanks cost alot more in maintenance but the work to maintain it is same or easier). :D

crazyfishgirl

Nah, I'll never get tired of my cichlids, they're too interesting. I'll just add 13 saltwater tanks to my collection :D

The CAD Lights tanks are more of the high performance quality type tanks compared to the "cubes" and the Finnex. the CAD Lights come standard with 500GPH and a real sump air injection protein skimmer (Bubble-Magus NAC-3) for the 39G systems. that skimmer is recommended to 70G also you get a cooling unit, refugium light, real nice and big refugium, real acrylic background etc. just all in all a a nice step up from the mass produced tanks. cost a bit higher in price point, but with all that you get, its definitely a better value. the skimmer alone sells for $150 bucks. the tank is beautiful, glass is also 8mm thick rimless hi-polished etc. the full sized HQI light fixture works better than it being crammed up into a tight enclosed canopy like the cubes, which can get very hot and too much exposure to moisture. also all the parts of the CAD fixtures are full sized so its generally a better performing light.

i started the CAD Lights tank as my first one and actually never needed another one as it had everything i needed right from the beginning. i didnt need to upgrade any of the equipment or modify the filter chambers. i did make minor tweaks throughout the years, but nothing major.

i have a 39G Signature for 4 years now and its still running great. i have the HQI 3 stage light. im thinking about getting their new LED strip.

hope it helped

Deleted User 4
Nah, I'll never get tired of my cichlids, they're too interesting. I'll just add 13 saltwater tanks to my collection :D

whoa, are you serious? damnn crazyfishgirl LOL :o

crazyfishgirl
The CAD Lights tanks are more of the high performance quality type tanks compared to the "cubes" and the Finnex. the CAD Lights come standard with 500GPH and a real sump air injection protein skimmer (Bubble-Magus NAC-3) for the 39G systems. that skimmer is recommended to 70G also you get a cooling unit, refugium light, real nice and big refugium, real acrylic background etc. just all in all a a nice step up from the mass produced tanks. cost a bit higher in price point, but with all that you get, its definitely a better value. the skimmer alone sells for $150 bucks. the tank is beautiful, glass is also 8mm thick rimless hi-polished etc. the full sized HQI light fixture works better than it being crammed up into a tight enclosed canopy like the cubes, which can get very hot and too much exposure to moisture. also all the parts of the CAD fixtures are full sized so its generally a better performing light.

i started the CAD Lights tank as my first one and actually never needed another one as it had everything i needed right from the beginning. i didnt need to upgrade any of the equipment or modify the filter chambers. i did make minor tweaks throughout the years, but nothing major.

i have a 39G Signature for 4 years now and its still running great. i have the HQI 3 stage light. im thinking about getting their new LED strip.

hope it helped

It does help, I've really been on the fence, I don't want something that I have to do a ton of modding to, and really, since I do already have so many tanks to take care of, id like something that I wouldn't be looking to upgrade anytime soon. I've still got a couple weeks to decide tho, money wont be in hand until then. Was the Cadlights easy to set up?

whoa, are you serious? damnn crazyfishgirl LOL :o

If the bug hits hard..... ;)

Deleted User 4
It does help, I've really been on the fence, I don't want something that I have to do a ton of modding to, and really, since I do already have so many tanks to take care of, id like something that I wouldn't be looking to upgrade anytime soon. I've still got a couple weeks to decide tho, money wont be in hand until then. Was the Cadlights easy to set up?

If the bug hits hard..... ;)

the thing i don't like about cadlights and finnex is the fact that it is open top lid, there are many fishes that are prone to jump out of the tank and many bad dusty debris going into the water from top; otherwise everything else is great about it :lol:

Deleted User 4

good choice on picking the biocube hqi, though have you ever thought about getting biocube29 with led lights instead of metal hallides? I personally would get led since it doesn't overheat the tank and it looks better installed in the hood, whereas there is not really a hood for biocube hqi, for example, this one is a nanocube 28 gal with led instead of hqi: click here. Overall, it looks better with a full hood rather than a light hanging over the biocube hqi. :D

crazyfishgirl

So many choices. Its hard for a newbie like me to decide. I know myself though and need to pick something that I'm not going to want to upgrade too soon. I also don't want something that needs alot of modding done to it right off the bat. I hadn't been looking at the nanocubes mainly because I wanted I want a refugium and I don't think they come equipped with one. Some models do have wavemakers tho, which is cool. Just need to do more research. As for open tops, all my tanks are open topped with the exception of my oscar tank which has a glass canopy. I don't really like the look the look of full hoods all that much, too closed in looking. Although saltwater fish seem to jump more than freshwater fish.

Wow, it's been a while since I've popped into NR.com, but upon doing a search for something old here, this thread caught my eye naturally.

Let me speak from the Finnex side of the fence. ;) I own an original 1st generation Finnex 30g glass M tank. I've had it since the end of 2006 and it's still going strong for me. I've never had to mod ANYTHING on it, well never needed to but wanted to on a couple things just for kicks. Anyways, people will say this and that about the skimmer it comes with (if they even still included them) but the reality of the matter is that it DOES work. I've never had issues with mine and yes there are better skimmers out there, but if it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it is the motto I roll with with it comes to this stuff. So I'm looking at Aquacave's site and see the Finnex hasn't changed really since the gen 2 design of early 2007. Hey, it shows they have a good design that never needed touching up, tank wise I'm speaking (NOT accessories like the skimmer). Personally I'd go for the T5 with the 9x1w LED setup. I ALMOST replaced my original T5 Finnex fixture with that one, but then went the MH way when a local hobbiest sold me his JBJ Disco Ball MH fixture for DIRT cheap. I can only go MH now, LOL! But the T5 is a NICE fixture.

I can't knock Cadlights though knowing Eddie (the owner) personally now and living a mere less than 10 miles from their So Cali warehouse/headquarters. I've had extensive inperson talks comparing the tanks and he doesn't knock Finnex either, but I know the quality of the Cad is just a notch better at the least. That said, I wouldn't put Finnex out of the running. For me it come down to budget, and the fact that Cad didn't have much offerings for the price back in 2006, they had just started up around then really. EITHER tank would suit well and last a long time. Good luck!! B)

crazyfishgirl

Thanks for the input, I tried to order the finnex yesterday from aquacave, but was told the 30 gallon was discontinued, a shame as that was what I wanted. I ordered the Cadlights 39 gallon signature series with their led lighting system instead, which I'm pretty excited about nonetheless :)

Odd they would still have it up on their website... According to Finnex's website, the 30M is indeed discontinued. A shame really as it is a fine tank! None-the-less, you'll be very happy with the Cadlights 39g Signature! :) And the LED lighting is how I would go on it too! Their LED system is top notch!

Deleted User 4
Thanks for the input, I tried to order the finnex yesterday from aquacave, but was told the 30 gallon was discontinued, a shame as that was what I wanted. I ordered the Cadlights 39 gallon signature series with their led lighting system instead, which I'm pretty excited about nonetheless :)

NICE, led system is one of the best there is, can't wait to see it setup :D

crazyfishgirl
Odd they would still have it up on their website... According to Finnex's website, the 30M is indeed discontinued. A shame really as it is a fine tank! None-the-less, you'll be very happy with the Cadlights 39g Signature! :) And the LED lighting is how I would go on it too! Their LED system is top notch!

The led system is supposed to be comprable to 150w MH lighting. The system is dimmable six ways from sunday and has a remote control. Anyway, I'm glad to hear someone say the led system is a good one :)

NICE, led system is one of the best there is, can't wait to see it setup :D

I can't wait to see it set up either, I've got the perfect spot for it, just have to move the aquarium that's already there. It should be here next week, I'm already twice as excited about it as I was when I ordered it, I'm not sure I can handle waiting a week or so for it to get here

Deleted User 4
The led system is supposed to be comprable to 150w MH lighting. The system is dimmable six ways from sunday and has a remote control. Anyway, I'm glad to hear someone say the led system is a good one :)

I can't wait to see it set up either, I've got the perfect spot for it, just have to move the aquarium that's already there. It should be here next week, I'm already twice as excited about it as I was when I ordered it, I'm not sure I can handle waiting a week or so for it to get here

nice, I'm not sure if I can wait either aahhaha :D

I've seen the LED system on display from Cad at local aquarium expo events here in SO. Cali, so I can verify it's an awesome system you'll love! Plus the adjustability of it can't really be beat! B)

Archived