Pod Your Reef

May 2011 - Naturalwonders

Christopher Marks

FLNanoReefer

That is a beautiful tank. You are more than worthy of TOTM! How long did it take for the mushrooms to grow that much?

WillWork4Frags

Great looking tank. I hope mine looks half as good as yours when it matures.

I was wondering, do you ever have any nitrate problems without running a refugium?

naturalwonders

Oh thanks for much.

I took about 2 years for the mushroom to cover the whole tank like that. Once they do, they multiply fast. I keeping taking out the loose ones or trim them back often.

That is a beautiful tank. You are more than worthy of TOTM! How long did it take for the mushrooms to grow that much?
naturalwonders

The tank is small so I don't use a sump, just regular water changes, at ~20% once a week, have been helping to maintain the water chemistry so much. I try to maintain the bioload of the tank, if I want to add something in, something else has to come out, unless it's naturally born in the tank as in the case of corals. Fish wise, no more than 5 small fish and a couple of shrimps at once.

Now, once in a while, I take a handful of macroalgae from a different tank and add them in this reef. I keep them in a breeder box in the tank for a few weeks. This is just to keep the water in check.

I've never had a problem with nitrate.

Great looking tank. I hope mine looks half as good as yours when it matures.

I was wondering, do you ever have any nitrate problems without running a refugium?

i really enjoyed the pics of the tank ...it looks very nice ...i hope my tank looks that pretty like that one day ...the picture looks very nice too ...very peaceful and serene ...i love it

africaturtle

Congratulations!

Your tank looks very nice! I'm actually trying to figure out how to start my own 15g, and your tanks is a good source of inspiration and motivation.

Also, I'm glad to see that a tank can thrive on a "not so fancy", affordable lighting system. Sure looks like it plenty enough for your needs anyways.

Congrats again!

• 2 months later...
obsessedwithfish

you're tank is nothing short of gorgeous but HOW DOES YOUR FROGSPAWN NOT DESTROY ALL THOSE MUSHROOMS AROUND IT????

im not THAT experienced in this amazing hobby yet but isnt frogspawn really agressive??

Archived