Cultivated Reef

101g LOOOONG

Polscot

so i finally decided to get into the big boy tanks after 3 years of nanos. i plan to make it a FOWLR for a dogface and porkey and maybe a few others (aggressive fish only) but ill have proper lighting to promote coraline

i placed an order for a 101 gallon Long tank its 72x18x18 custom, ill have to drill it myself and this is my first time making a sump tank the sump will be 48x14sx14 with a 20g refugium and also inside the stand will be a 10g ATO system i plan on feeding with a float switch and water mover

tank arrives next week so i started on the stand its overkill but id rather be safe then sorrty

material list

5- 2x4 10'

1- plywood sheet hella sanded (pine)

and 1 nice pine sheet for the sides

the top and bottom supports

post-53335-1304022747_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1304022756_thumb.jpg

the pine side sheets

post-53335-1304022762_thumb.jpg

starting to come together

post-53335-1304022769_thumb.jpg

sides on

post-53335-1304022775_thumb.jpg

post-53335-1304022781_thumb.jpg

front

post-53335-1304022788_thumb.jpg

if you knowtise theres no doors on the front im going to make a bracket so that the whole sheet slides up giving access to the entire sump area for if need be, i hate reaching in through doors

once i get the door mounted ill work on the mouldings and making it look good,

what do you think?

with the tank i plan to have 2 small islands one that comes out of the tank with a waterfall comeing down it (inspired by the volcano tank)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well whatever, it looks sweet so far!

Your stand build reminds me of mine, check out my sig for another idea for your 'door'. Mine hangs on with some lag bolts and wing nuts, takes 5 seconds to take it on and off, I love it.

Are you going to keep the stand trimless like that? I know I would!

ill prolly add some nice trim unless i can get it to look flawless as is, ill cheack out the cleat and ur build appreciate the advise guys :) im prolly going to cut a piece out of the bottom of the door i plan on having a viewable refugium 11x28 housing my 6" peacock mantis shrimp and cheato and macros

does anyone have any ideas on overflows? im thinking a 1" hold center back of tank with 2 3/4" returns, but i really have no idea what id need for a tank this size

thanx

ive calculated out the excess space in my sump and theres 10 gallons that arent going to be filled with water incase of emergency or flood protection do u think thats enough?

ive calculated out the excess space in my sump and theres 10 gallons that arent going to be filled with water incase of emergency or flood protection do u think thats enough?

Yes, if the drain is at a certain height it will be fine, in my tank i have it so it is about 2" under the water level so if my pump goes off the main tank only goes 2"

if that helps..

edit

may not be enough if you put it 2" under water level, 72"x18x2=11.2 gallons

1" however will give you more than enough

Fantastic, I look forward to watching your build take shape. I would love to do something similar as a room divider. What are your plans for water movement?

i ordered a 3200gph duel wave maker to put on one end of the tank, and im just trying to decide on the return pump, i found a 800gph one but i dont know if its too big/too small/ just right....

I would probably go more with the sump pump, on my 70 gal display+ 20 gallon sump i have a 1300gph

your tank is nearly double mine, maybe get somthing 1800? the faster it is the faster water will get filtered in the sump. imo i would rather get a more powerful sump pump than wave maker.

just ordered a 1800gph submersable pump, along with a 5 piece diamond hole saw kit still thinking of what kinda overflow i want

just ordered a 1800gph submersable pump, along with a 5 piece diamond hole saw kit still thinking of what kinda overflow i want

Nice!

got any ideas of what you want to put in this bad boy?

dogfaced and porky puffer, maybe a few other small fast fish or a niger trigger, realistically cant put alot in with 2 puffers there a big bio load

TheUnfocusedOne
dogfaced and porky puffer, maybe a few other small fast fish or a niger trigger, realistically cant put alot in with 2 puffers there a big bio load

Aw boo... I thought this was gonna be a reef tank...

I think FOWLR are tacky... a bunch of random big fish tossed together... thats just me though :happy:

Aw boo... I thought this was gonna be a reef tank...

I think FOWLR are tacky... a bunch of random big fish tossed together... thats just me though :happy:

Maybe but a bunch big fish that kill anything I throw in the tank interests me hence my 30g peacock mantis tank :) it'll still be something to watch I assure u I'll customize it more then most have seen

the LED kit arrived for my viewable refugium overkill? pfft gunna look amazing 6x cool white 6x royal blue

post-53335-1304123580_thumb.jpg

also bought the waterproof boxing for my electrical work

post-53335-1304123586_thumb.jpg

going to have 12 plugs running off 2 15amp breakers, (helps being an electrician)

got the tank home today, fit into the escalade with like 1/2 an inch to spare lol

post-53335-1304454280_thumb.jpg

got them to drill the holes and bulkheads, but they gave me the glass to silicon on for the overflow

post-53335-1304454295_thumb.jpg

end shot

post-53335-1304454303_thumb.jpg

by the unfinished stand

post-53335-1304454287_thumb.jpg

Archived