Top Shelf Aquatics

Jruberti's 11.4 Gallon //AI Nano Added

Jruberti

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey looks great so far! sub'd

woohoo

Looking good so far! Your graphic design skills make everything pleasing to the eye.

Thanks, I wish I had a better camera to use though. I did everything using my crappy iphone and powerpoint lol

Dang! your tank looks professionally made, lol. well done!

haha I wish, thanks!

May 16, 2011

I'm building the stand this weekend, and I have all my plumbing purchased (I think). I still don't know what kind of wood to use for the stand, but I will probably go with birch plywood.

I have been trying to figure out what kind of fish I am going to have in this tank, and I think I have figured out which two I want. Let me know what you think!

2ir0zut.png

left is a Tail Spot Blenny and right is a Hector's Goby

Tail spot blennys are awesome little fish man. The Hector's are really cool looking too, but I have read that some people have a hard time keeping them alive for too long in captivity. I might be mistaken, but its worth checking out. A small clown goby or two would be pretty awesome too.

I decided to test the tank in the garage to see if my pump/return/overflow worked properly. I just pushed the plumbing together (nothing is glued/cemented etc). It's surprisingly quiet, and I am happy with it...except there is a leak under the overflow bulkhead that will probably show up again after I do the plumbing on the tank :(

Here are two short videos of the testing (used my crappy iphone):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3j_MdP8V4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1sX00m2PAI

I'm also building the stand today!

May 20, 2011

We finished the frame for the stand today! We used 2" x 4"s for the structure and we are going to use MDF for the outside and door. I bought some euro style hinges but idk how i am going to install them lol

15ch8gk.png

looking good, i saw your other posts about water level on ARC. are you using the spacer with your MP10? i like the stand design, very simple :D

looking good, i saw your other posts about water level on ARC. are you using the spacer with your MP10? i like the stand design, very simple :D

haha, yeah I am using the spacer on the mp10. I can't wait to get the sides put on the stand and paint it!

May 26, 2011

The stand is almost finished; the only thing left to do is attach the door! I also leak tested my aquarium again after I hand-tightened the bulkheads more and added teflon tape to all the threaded joints. NO LEAKS after 2 hours!

Here is the stand:

fjopsn.png

Nice work on the stand. I'm just wondering if the Blenny would consider a similar shaped fish a threat in such a small tank.

Looking good man. I ended up going the acrylic AIO route on my next tank but still have my eyes on the 33.4g or 48g MR A down the road... I will get a thread up when I start getting everything. Keep up the sick build (and thread).

Nice work on the stand. I'm just wondering if the Blenny would consider a similar shaped fish a threat in such a small tank.

Thanks! That would suck; I'll have to research them a little more, and I'll probably just have 1 fish for awhile.

nice stand! is it painted or laminated?

Thanks! It is painted with 1 coat of primer and 3 coats of satin white.

Looking good man. I ended up going the acrylic AIO route on my next tank but still have my eyes on the 33.4g or 48g MR A down the road... I will get a thread up when I start getting everything. Keep up the sick build (and thread).

Thanks, I am completely impressed with the Mr. Aqua tanks. I bet your AIO is going to be awesome!

• 1 month later...

clamp_par30_medium.jpgEoGTa.png

This is my luck... I ended the project with $400 dollars left over to purchase my light and livestock. Since the Nano Sol had no release date and always seemed to keep being pushed back, I realized that I would only have $50 dollars left over to buy liverock, corals, and fish. I decided that wouldn't even be enough for the live rock. I would rather have a fish and liverock for awhile, than a tank and just a light, so I decided to purchase a PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit from BoostLED (I got the 4RB 1CW) from their July 4th sale.

I am still going to purchase the AI Nano, but not until Christmas when I have more money (i'm a college student).

I am slightly regretting my decision today because the BoostLED light just shipped and ReefBuilders just released an article on the AI Nano saying it is officially coming out at the end of July.

I can't tell if i made the right decision or not. If I purchased the AI Nano I would have $50 left to spend on livestock. Since I purchased the BoosLED I have $300 dollars left to spend on livestock, and I will have the Nano come Christmas. What does everyone think?

I think you did fine. I would much rather have something living to mess around with rather than a glass box and a fancy light. And its not just something living. Its $300 worth of living. Anyway at least for me, its no point in being bummed about a past choice. :happy: Now spend your money!

DreTheReefer

I'm waiting on the ai nano too. Did the same you did and got a different light and I think was a good decision cause I've had corals growing for a few months now and will hopefully get the nano by September and then it's a whole new ball game. The tank looks great by the way good luck and take it easy.

I'm very pleased with my boost PAR30s. The lamp clamps are really sharp too. My only concern is that you might need a second one.

I think you will be thrilled to be able to get some really nice corals instead of a light with a single polyp. Even if you get another, there are a few really good online dealers out there right now that offer free shipping for around $125, $150 that will let you stock up on some really nice frags.

July 17, 2011

I received my boostLED PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit yesterday! Very impressed! Here are some crappy pictures I took with my old Iphone (they don't do the light's intensity any justice).

4xidp.png

UvaeL.png

Looking good....this is along the same lines that I'm setting up my 11.4. I'm wondering if I should try out the Sol Nano or go with the regular AI....

Looking good....this is along the same lines that I'm setting up my 11.4. I'm wondering if I should try out the Sol Nano or go with the regular AI....

I think the AI Nano will be the perfect fit for an 11.4. I can't wait to get mine over the tank in December.

1. Cut a hole in the box (Check)

2. Put your junk the box (That means water, and thats what you need to do now)

3. Make her open the box (That means take pics and post to n-r.com once you complete step 2)

Archived