Cultivated Reef

Had my swing arm hydrometer tested......

lizbeth

I went to a reef get together over the weekend. We were told to bring our swing arm hydrometer to test with a known salinity. Mine was off. The sample was 1.022, my hydro read 1.020. Most were off at least that much. Testing them is sure a good idea!

second2n0ne
Quote: from lizbeth on 9:33 pm on July 2, 2002[br]The sample was 1.022, my hydro read 1.020. Most were off at least that much. Testing them is sure a good idea!

More reason to invest in a refractometer not to mention its ease of use!

calcium reactor, mh's, 300+gal tank, respectable LR, separate tank for octopus, etc

oh well, how much is the refractometer? :cry:

lizbeth, were your animals looking 'off' though? because of the lower salinity

Refractometers run $70 and up.  Nice to have.

I got a eSHa Marinomat hydrometer for $35, and it seems to give pretty good readings, but if I had to do it over, I would have bit the bullet on the refractometer.  My Tropic Marin floating hydrometer and the eSHa hydrometer read within 0.001 of each other on water samples though.  Not a bad tool if you can't afford the refractometer.

I've used lots of the SeaTest hydros, and they fluctuate wildly, with even the same one giving inconsistent readings day to day.  Calibration helps, but I still don't think it will give consistent results.

Quote:

lizbeth, were your animals looking 'off' though? because of the lower salinity

The off reading meant my salinity was higher than I though (it's very confusing :( ). Everything was doing fine but I'm going to slowy lower the salinity a bit.

Hmmm...I might be investing in a refractometer soon.

I'd rather have a quick and accurate way of measuring the salinity than what I have now.

Quote: from Kapelakin on 10:01 am on July 3, 2002[br]Just wondering why you would want your SG that low?

Are you asking me? I never said what my salinity was. The test was done with my hydrometer, not my water. The sample was a known 1.022, it was in a frag holding tank at a get together. My hydrometer read 1.020.

Mine is a deep six, I was the only one that brought that style to test. The others were box style and were off by even a bit more than mine. All read lower numbers which mean the actual salinity was higher. I wonder if any ever read the other direction and it was just a fluke that all there read lower?

Archived