ReefCleaners.org

Best site to buy "Rare" Zoas

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
Some are a lot "touchier" than others. Like I said, I would wait and get a little bit more experience with expensive ones. :)

So which of the more expensive ones are easier to take care of in your opinion? I do not really want to buy any coral that I will want to take out later, including zoas. I understand what you are saying though. I know I should make sure I can take care of them first. Either way I would be wasting money, either the more expensive ones will die, or I will buy ones I do not want and will get rid of them, losing money.

Just remember, there are a ton of colorful zoas and palys that don't have names. Really hard to go wrong, unless you get brown on brown palys that take over. If you have a lfs, id try that first.

I am going to try the local fish store first...I know everyones concern about being my first corals and this and that or I should buy local or from people on here, but I really just want to know what some good sites are. I guess this may be me being stubborn, but that was the question I asked.

Fair enough.

Reef Goddess has top notch quality coral all the time, but im not sure about Zoanthids. Coral morphologic has been mentioned. Sealifeinc.net has cheap colonies, nothing with a name.

Just stay away from ebay and Mr.Coral for now, both a bit risky. Many reputable people on ebay, but until you know who is who stick to dedicated sites. Do a bit of research, see if a name or company pops up, and ask about them.

Edit: Its the best time of the year for the classified section. Regardless of any thing else, browse it.

Just posted

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3342717

Thrassian Atoll

Thank you. Btw, looking at people selling polys on here, I see polyps going for $30-$40 a piece and charging $40 for overnight delivery. Looks like the same prices as some of the sites I looked at.

Any more sites not mentioned?

I know this site has been mentioned a couple times more but it stands repeating: CoralMorphologic.com gets beautiful zoas and rics in a few times a week. If you want a chance at some of the rarer ones I would suggest signing up for their newsletter. I get emailed the second they put up their new stock for sale. The nicer looking ones tend to go really fast. Their prices are pretty competitive and their shipping is top notch.

Since you are on a base and its difficult to get a package in a timely manner there, I would suggest having any fedex packages shipped to "Hold at Facility" and make sure the seller sends it to your nearest local FedEx facility. They will normally gladly do this because it ensures the specimens always remain in a temperature controlled environment (warm) and ensures the best chances for survival. I have done this exact procedure with CoralMorphologic and it worked like a charm. Every specimen was alive, healthy, and I didn't have to worry about needing to be home for delivery.

Thrassian Atoll

Not quite ready to buy yet. I am going to wait a couple more weeks to make sure my tank is stabalized and hair algae has subsided.

I'd go with a local reefer, if you have a reef club in your area. You'll pay a fraction of the price and won't get stuck with shipping or have to worry about DOA's. I always like to get mine local if I can, but will buy from other reefers on the forums if they have good feedback. Akwarius has some nice zoas and he packages them really well and ronmidtownstomp on RC has a nice LE zoa collection. I'm sure there are others on here that could help you out.

By the way, not all zoas are hardy and some are pretty difficult to keep. Darth Mauls, Utter Chaos's, Valentines Day Massacres, and several others are known melters and probably why they still hold their value. Have fun shopping..

+1 to the recommendation for sealifeinc.net's zoas. No fancy names or anything, but I have had frags of three different zoas from the site (the yellow-eyed, blue, and neon-blue) and all were gorgeous. The price is right, they'll look great in your tank (better than the pictures on their site), and they're reasonably easy to care for.

But the best thing would be to find something local, if you can. Look on Craigslist, maybe.

steviejitsu

I would look around for some really cheap or free zoas and try those out. Zoas are not necessarily easy. Some tanks are just not suited for them. Depends on a lot of factors.

PM sent, I aked Lawnman this but I will ask on here too. I live on an Airforce base and it takes a little longer to get deliveries. How would I go about making sure I get live items in a day? Make the post of my shipping address for live things? Ask the post office, in the town nearby, if they can hold onto them for me?

Either arrange for it to be shipped to a buddy that lives off base or have it held at the shipping facility. SF hates FedEx/UPS trucks and they're often held at the gate for a loooong time. God forbid if your package leaks, it'll automatically be assumed that it's an attempted chem attack.

• 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

Took everyones advice and got some freebie zoas. I have had them a few days and they are doing well. I will wait a couple more weeks before I spend some money on some. Thanks for all of the advice

Archived