Pod Your Reef

hob filter mod

clowe18

i was thinking of moding my hob filter into a hob Refugium.. ill keep macro algae and half a unit of chemi-pure in it and maybe some LR.

also ive been having a probmle with my filter creating a constand flow on my rocks. i was thinking or doin this to ithttp://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Awesome-ize-Your-HOB-Power-Filter-with-Just/

its to decrease the direct flow caused by the filter, and to help create circular water flow in my tank. thanks for the help guys

What's the problem with constant flow on your rocks? That seems good to me

Im not sure how effective that mod is. It looks like the only really noticeable effect it would have is reducing flow which is not something you generally want. Im not sure if I believe that it helps make the flow more circular, the intake is at the bottom of a tube to begin with

Check this out if you havent already

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2004830

Sorry I ment direct flow. Because of the rockwork the output from my filter lands on my rocks I want to divert the water to another direction so it doesn't PO my corals. And thanks for the link! That's pretty much what I want to do.

I don't see the point in the cup mod. The OP of that thread actually thinks that he is recirculating the exact same water back into the filter. He doesn't seem to realize that there is an intake tube under the water.

Also, without a surface skimmer you will lose some benefits that the flow on the surface prevents. The output from a HOB filter is relatively low compared to what you need for a reef tank.

• 1 month later...

But placing corals Under the output area seams to really Piss them off. I had somE candy canes under my filters output and there on the verge of dying...

thats a little weird that they are dying there pretty indestructible, i dont think flow would be the problem with them dying. maybe move the filter to the side of where you want it to have higher flow.

all right i spotted it, it was a little hard to see but thats good. But you can try moving it to the other side and see how your coral like it if not move what ever corals don't like it to a new spot they would like.

Alright. I have some gsp glued to the rock on the very bottom left hand corner. Do you think it'll be able to take the constant direct flow?

Archived