Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans) Thread

pmoradi2002

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The filaments are just one of the pollutants I'm talking about.

Interesting. What sort of tank inhabitants do you think would be best suited to clean up a harlequin's starfish scraps, if any? At the moment I intend to stock a snail-only CUC but would happily change my plans if need be. I would imagine that a protein skimmer might help, but perhaps this would be overkill for a small tank?

If anything living it would most likely be a close sous in to the harlequin, the bumble bee shrimp.

I think mechanical filtration would be the most effective means of getting it out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

If anything living it would most likely be a close sous in to the harlequin, the bumble bee shrimp. I think mechanical filtration would be the most effective means of getting it out of the water.

Thanks! I have an idea. I purchased an AC20 and a media basket mod for it:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/media/Flow%20Diagram%20Updated.jpg

I can't imagine it'd work, but... I'd keep the included sponge in place on the far right hand side, add a bag of Purigen and a smaller bag of Phosguard to the lower left hand compartment--and use the top left hand compartment as a storage chamber for a CC. That way I could clip off a leg at regular intervals and the CC itself wouldn't be exposed to the harlequin.

Has anyone ever tried something like this with such a small space? I assume that a CC would die very quickly from the stress / lack of moving room. Ideally, target-feeding it bits of shrimp or scallop would help it survive in such a cramped environment, but just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long a CC can go without food?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that a few people have the Hawaiian harlequins. I have been searching where I could buy a mates pair but haven't found anything yet :( if you have a pair where did u buy them from??

I would also like if anyone can recommend the best place to order a regular Indonesian pair online??

I have a single very large harley in a 6 gal Edge. Hermits never touched the star "bits" mine leaves behind. The only thing I have ever seen try to eat the mess is my sexy shrimp, but they don't consume much at all. I syphon them out with a turkey baster. I do a one gallon water change weekly, and a small one daily or every other day when the shrimp is feeding. I seriously doubt a cc star would get away from a shrimp and damage corals, unless you were overfeeding and the shrimp ignored it.

Has anyone kept Harleys in an SPS tank? Just wondering if this can be done given the waste that is likely produced from feeding starfish. Tank in question is a 27g cube.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone kept Harleys in an SPS tank? Just wondering if this can be done given the waste that is likely produced from feeding starfish. Tank in question is a 27g cube.
The star is eaten alive, so no pollutant other than poop. They do leave behind Tempe small white bones that are a pita and look messy on black sand.

Beautiful!
Could that sexy ass thing pair up with a regular Harley by any chance?

I can not seem to find the female to my harlequin pair. I let the pair eat my asterinas for two months. They wiped them out. I added a chocolate star leg to feed them. Only the male came out. I know one them molted. Do females go into hiding???

I was wondering the same thing! I read on some forum that it could buy then again he was trying to sell it so could have been lying to the person

I was wondering the same thing! I read on some forum that it could buy then again he was trying to sell it so could have been lying to the person

Of course.. Hawaiian style sharing the aloha spirit. :) seriously don't know but cool if it worked. What if the markings of the babies were like a Picasso of snowflake clown that was half and half purple.

Of course.. Hawaiian style sharing the aloha spirit. :) seriously don't know but cool if it worked. What if the markings of the babies were like a Picasso of snowflake clown that was half and half purple.

Lol that's what the person said.... They said their babies would be pretty cool looking!

7004679695_680f57b281_o.jpg

Meal Time by Jacob-Reef, on Flickr

6566667479_fa1951e3de_o.jpg

Hawaiian Harlequin by Jacob-Reef, on Flickr

6392796507_451f7e9c45_o.jpg

Hawaiian Harlequin feasting. by Jacob-Reef, on Flickr

I miss my Hawaiian Harley :(

Where do u guys find the Hawaiians?? :( lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She arrived safe&sound this morning from BlueZoo. I drip acclimated and added her to the tank, she slipped out of the net and onto the top of my rockscape, then parachuted directly ontop of my heliofungia. She flapped her flat-arm-thingies to safety, and has been hanging out in a shaded corner of the tank for about a half hour.

Whenever she adventures out of the shadow, she seems to scurry back into it pretty quick. Should I shut off the lights for the day?

Edit: turned off the lights, at least for a couple of hours.

Some quick pictures of Ophelia noshing on a fromia (if you didn't see them in my thread); She molted from shipping stress since her wysiwyg picture posted above. Novice photographer struggling against the blue hues of the Kessil:

wsyJDae.jpg?1

DwxkfaR.jpg?1

I really want a harlequin! But i already have a blue legged gold coral banded and a candy striped pistol. I have never seen my coral banded go after any invert, the only thing i sa him ever go after was my old angelfish. Could i pull off a harlequin? I mean my boss will give me chocolate chip stars for $3 a piece.

I really want a harlequin! But i already have a blue legged gold coral banded and a candy striped pistol. I have never seen my coral banded go after any invert, the only thing i sa him ever go after was my old angelfish. Could i pull off a harlequin? I mean my boss will give me chocolate chip stars for $3 a piece.

I plan on housing a blue legged gold coral banded with my harlequin (and eventually her mate); I'd also like to add Sarons. AFAIK the blue-legged are the most passive of the boxing shrimp. How big is your tank? As long as they both have room for a den and to roam, you should try it imo

So I put one on hold, I heard to sex them the male will have clean plates on there under side? I forgot what colors the female plates were. Is that correct or is it the other way around? And also should i just slice the leg off it let the harlequin do it?

Archived