inTank Media Baskets

Official Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans) Thread

pmoradi2002

Yes, just make sure you watch the star closely after a couple weeks and take it out when it starts falling apart. IMO harleys are the coolest shrimp one can buy for a tank, you wont be dissapointed.

+1!! ;)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

my female walked onto the top rock last night. I realized her belly was fully with babies. and she's hatching them!!

I am watching it right now... too bad only the moonlight is on so i can't do video.

that is a gray pic of your female harlequin!!! it would be cool if you can breed them!

i don't have the experience and the money to build a breeding tank unfortunately D:

I hate to watch them all become nem and fish food.

also, does anyone know if i need a quick water change?

• 1 month later...
happened again. this time I happened to be there and ready

my harlequin shrimps giving birth! happens at 1:25

That was so cool! Ive never seen that. I dont know the odds of raising them but it is cool to be there for the action. On a side note I saw some harleys at petco yesterday and was tempted but I knew better. :tears:

My new Hawaiian harley munching on a asterina..

6289596533_0742624166_z.jpg

So sick!!! I'm searching for a pair now.

In other news, I just noticed my normal pair has eggs! I was going to trade them in on the Hawaiian pair but I'm not so sure now.... I'm sure my fish and corals will appreciate the little snack!

happened again. this time I happened to be there and ready

my harlequin shrimps giving birth! happens at 1:25

wow that was pretty awesome to see. Thanks for sharing! Now I want a pair :lol: alas, will have to wait for a while

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm knocking the dust off this OLD THREAD and BUMPING it ^^^^^

Bought and Elegant today and a chocolate chip treat!

Pics will come later today. Good 9.

OR you can just...

check my thread and read the couple of last posts on page 2.

• 6 months later...

I would very much like to add a harlequin to my tank once it is fully established, and was hoping owners could provide me with some insight. I have doubts that my tank would be suitably large enough to support a single starfish, but perhaps I am wrong.

I've purchased a 6-gallon Aquastyle by Eheim, at 14"H x 12"W x 12"D. Since the harlequin would eventually be the main set piece, the layout of the live rock would definitely include a lair, and lots of climbing surface. I do not have a sump or a second tank to keep live starfish, however.

It sounds like linckia needs lots of open sandy space and chocolate chips are not reef safe (I'm inheriting several nice corals from a friend and do not want to risk the chocolate chip escaping the harlequin and eating anything). Do you keep corals in your harley tank? Do the starfish ever have the opportunity to cause damage, or are they too zonked-out from the constant harley attacks? Do they die off faster without access to a wide sand bed, or does this simply not matter (since the harleys are eating them, I'd imagine they don't have much time to feed).

Has anyone had any luck with astropecten? I would imagine they could try and retreat into the sand to escape a harlequin, but I'm not sure. They are reef-safe and seem to be considerably less expensive than linckia, which is why I ask.

Lastly, do local shops sell or give away asterinea? It sounds like a few folks have had success feeding 'em to their harlequins, and I would imagine that their smaller size would make asterinea more ideal for a six-gallon setup. But then, I assume that I simply do not have the room to support a harlequin, and that I'll have to shelf my half-hoped plans, haha.

Thank you in advance for any responses! :)

Get small stars and a pair f Harley's. my single male Harley is not strong enough to control a medium cc star at all. Typically, since Harley's work together on one star, they overpower it and eat it alive. They stars will become "paralyzed" from the attack and not escape.

Just watch to make sure the star doesn't die I a tank that small. My harlequin has no interest once the star dies, and it will quickly polite a tank that small. The starfish will never be living long enough to need to be established.

Just set up a small tank.($5 "critter keeper" from petco) 1 rock, cheap heater, and an airstone. Pull off its legs. That'll keep the star out of your tank and alive long enough to feed.

You won't be keeping any starfish alive in a 6 gallon tank beside a micro brittle or an astrinia* star. Further mor I'd never recommend having a harlequin in such a small set up. The consumption of stars ( others and my self usually feed chocolate chip stars) puts out debtritus and other junk that will need a larger water volume and more rock to deal with than a 6 gal can handle.

Personally I'd wait until you have a larger setup running.

I think you should read this thread from the beginning it seems as though you think they live symbiotically and that not the case. Harlequin shrimp devour stars like no tomorrow.

Get small stars and a pair f Harley's. my single male Harley is not strong enough to control a medium cc star at all. Typically, since Harley's work together on one star, they overpower it and eat it alive. They stars will become "paralyzed" from the attack and not escape. Just watch to make sure the star doesn't die I a tank that small. My harlequin has no interest once the star dies, and it will quickly polite a tank that small. The starfish will never be living long enough to need to be established. Just set up a small tank.($5 "critter keeper" from petco) 1 rock, cheap heater, and an airstone. Pull off its legs. That'll keep the star out of your tank and alive long enough to feed.

Thanks for the info! Have you tried this before? I'd imagine that I could, in theory, put a small star into the 6-gal and then, if I'm leaving for work or something and the star is looking near-death, remove it and store it temporarily in a makeshift tank. If this is indeed a viable option, I suppose I could just leave a 5-gallon bucket of heated salt water running at all times for water changes, and store the starfish in there for a few hours until I get home from work (and testing the water before doing any changes, of course).

You won't be keeping any starfish alive in a 6 gallon tank beside a micro brittle or an astrinia* star. Further mor I'd never recommend having a harlequin in such a small set up. The consumption of stars ( others and my self usually feed chocolate chip stars) puts out debtritus and other junk that will need a larger water volume and more rock to deal with than a 6 gal can handle.

Personally I'd wait until you have a larger setup running.

I think you should read this thread from the beginning it seems as though you think they live symbiotically and that not the case. Harlequin shrimp devour stars like no tomorrow.

I've read the thread and apologize if my understanding seems unclear in my previous post; the appeal of the harlequin for me personally is that its beauty is matched only by its hideously specialized feeding habits, almost like having the monster from Alien as a pet.

I expected that most responses would strongly advise me against purchasing a harlequin (let alone a pair) because of the possibility of pollution, and I'm surprised that, at least so far, there seems to be a complete divide. That said, even if several folks agreed unanimously that my six-gal would be suitable, I wouldn't even consider acting upon it until I have more firsthand experience.

I've read elsewhere that sharp microscopic filaments released from the starfish can actually cause damage to certain corals; is this the detritus you're referring to? I assume there isn't an invert of some sort that would feed on these particles in great enough quantity :( No one in this thread, as far as I recall, mentioned anything about damage to corals as a result of these little shards, though; I'll have to look up where I read that.

Those shards of hard shell are mostly from common starfish. After my about ~10th starfish never being acclimated or even floated, only once have I had one die early. Feeding 1 leg a week or so would be no different than feeding half a silverside... But it is a small tank. I would advise not keeping anything else requiring meaty foods. Personally, I don't see a problem with it, but do think you should get more of an experienced "feel" for what type of food will raise what amount of nitrates so that you can keep your tank thriving with your weekly Maintenance.

I'd reconsider and only put one in a ten minimum. The filaments are just one of the pollutants I'm talking about. They're amazing shrimp and my pair lived for almost three years and got quite large. They where able to eat a whole chocolate chip within 2-3 days. Note: a CCstar can get about 3" diameter.

Is it best to feed a leg at a time or just toss an entire starfish in?

Has anyone had any trouble with the starfish bothering corals?

How long can these guys go without food - assuming you didn't get it fed.

I am always fascinated by the beauty of these creatures at the store but their Jeffrey Dahmer eating habits always makes me walk away without getting one. I do wonder if in the ocean they consume the whole star or if they take a bite or two and the star gets away to regenerate whereas in our closed system this can't happen. Does anyone know?

Archived