ReefCleaners.org

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

I'm still undecided. CPD's are a must as well as killifish. The rest is up in the air

I'd recommend Cories or Kuhli Loaches. You could put a small school in there and they're both really active and really entertaining fish. Do well cleaning up too.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also considering a change of plans for frogs. I'm super tempted to just get a group of these guys

benedicta6.jpg

Whichever I choose, I think there's only going to be room for one species. Not enough ground space for multiple species, even though one would be arboreal and one would be terrestrial.

I think the hardest part about dart frogs is choosing which one you want. They are all so awesome looking!

I read on some website that captive bred frogs are not poisonous. Is this true?

Wow, awesome setup so far. I've been working on my first vivarium as well, I'm hoping to get a group of azeurus or tinc cobalts

animalmaster6
I'm also considering a change of plans for frogs. I'm super tempted to just get a group of these guys

benedicta6.jpg

That's stunning. Really bright and cool frog.

True. :)

I want a Dendrobate Leucomelas

animalmaster6

The wild frogs get their poison from the foods they eat, that's why if they are not wild caught they are completely posion free.

Yep not poisonous in captivity. Choosing which one to get is by far the hardest part. I think that's why a lot of people end up with rooms full of tanks for them.

I looked into PDF's once. But I'd not want to do the fruit fly thing. I had the tank set up and everything before deciding against it. but my favorites were the Epipedobates anthonyi, Salvias Morph (red background, blue stripes and dots)

As for fish-have you looked into rainbow fish yet? Some stay relatively small

Awesome build man and great fish selection you have going. CPDs have always been a favorite of mine since they first started showing up.

You could do some dwarf pencil fish for the middle, they are very interesting but like subdued lighting so they'd be perfect for your setup.

For your bottom dwellers i highly recommend dwarf synodontis lucipinnis. They do best in groups of 3 plus and are some of the coolest catfish I've ever owned and are highly active at all hours. Typically only get 3" or less and are very peaceful.

Kuhli Loaches.

All time favorite fresh water fish...get some!

Looks great so far. I never knew that those frogs weren't poisonous in captivity. How active are they? I have a big terrarium I could probably close off at some point. I have a similar problem as you do though...time.

Some fire red cherry shrimp or pygmy cories for keeping the bottom clean would be my suggestion.

Those coral red pencilfish are some of my favorite fish too. Check out the coral red pencilfish "Purple" that just came out a few years ago.

Awesome build man and great fish selection you have going. CPDs have always been a favorite of mine since they first started showing up.

You could do some dwarf pencil fish for the middle, they are very interesting but like subdued lighting so they'd be perfect for your setup.

For your bottom dwellers i highly recommend dwarf synodontis lucipinnis. They do best in groups of 3 plus and are some of the coolest catfish I've ever owned and are highly active at all hours. Typically only get 3" or less and are very peaceful.

Thanks! I hadn't seen either of those! I'm woefully noobish at freshwater setups, so all of these suggestions are really helpful.

All time favorite fresh water fish...get some!

Looks great so far. I never knew that those frogs weren't poisonous in captivity. How active are they? I have a big terrarium I could probably close off at some point. I have a similar problem as you do though...time.

Some are more active than others. Some are bold, some are shy. Some are constantly hunting for food and some don't. The ones I have now are only really active in the mornings so I rarely see them during the week. The ones I just posted (R. benedicta) are supposedly really shy but for some people they're the boldest frogs they have. It's really a toss-up. I'm still not sure if I want to take a gamble with them in such a large tank. On one hand, they're my favorite frog ever. On the other hand they can be super shy and are quite expensive, so I might end up regretting getting them.

Some fire red cherry shrimp or pygmy cories for keeping the bottom clean would be my suggestion.

Those coral red pencilfish are some of my favorite fish too. Check out the coral red pencilfish "Purple" that just came out a few years ago.

I've been thinking Cories for the bottom but now I have so many other fish to look into, I'm just not sure.

benedicta6.jpg

Is that a Ranitomeya Imitator? Poison dart frogs are awesome. Our local shop, Amazing Pets has an awesome selection. Always thought about getting into them and learning more, this has inspired me. Absolutely brilliant set up Vic!

This build is awesome! Something I've always wanted to do, but completely forgot about until now.

No comments on that freaking sweet MINI?? Another one of my dream cars!! When the Fun Governor allows me a 2nd car, it's definitely on my top list of project cars.

If you've seen one Poison Frog Paludarium Build Thread , you've seen 'em all. :lol:

Kidding, of course. This is pretty awesome and I shall continue following along.

Well with your artistic capabilities, I bet you make one that looks even better! Anyways, good luck dude. I'm glad you are keeping a build thread on N-R for this setup. It's going to be awesome to watch!

With that being said, any updates on the vivarium? What stage are you at right now? Just collecting supplies or.. ?

Our classic? She's lovingly referred to as Olive :)

Yes, love the classics!! I'm a fan of all things Mini, but the classics are just sweet!

Sorry for going off-topic. Car guy...so I noticed the "other stuff" in your garage before the tank stuff. :lol:

Well with your artistic capabilities, I bet you make one that looks even better! Anyways, good luck dude. I'm glad you are keeping a build thread on N-R for this setup. It's going to be awesome to watch!

With that being said, any updates on the vivarium? What stage are you at right now? Just collecting supplies or.. ?

On my other one? Nah it's just growing in, there's not much to report. I think I might have 2 males so I haven't seen any breeding activity. We're going to swap out the submissive one for a female as soon as it cools down a little (for shipping).

Yes, love the classics!! I'm a fan of all things Mini, but the classics are just sweet!

Sorry for going off-topic. Car guy...so I noticed the "other stuff" in your garage before the tank stuff. :lol:

My other absurdly expensive hobby :rolleyes:

Archived