Cultivated Reef

Ulver's Biocube 14 w/ LEDs

ulver982

I ended up getting a biocube 14 on clearance at Petsmart for $119. Right away, I knew I was going to do LEDs again. I ordered a heatsink from nanotuners, but after waiting a month with no heatsink (3-5 day delay listed on their website is a joke) and very little communication from them, I said screw it and dug up my old heatsink I used on my 2.5 gallon....and what do ya know?? It fits!! The heatsink measures 12" x 5". The heatsink was already pre-drilled for 12 LEDs with 2 rows of 6. I wanted to do more, so today I drilled and tapped more holes to put in 6 more LEDs (3 neutral white and 3 more royal blues). I already have 6 cool whites and 6 royal blues. I figure I play around with some neutral whites. Excuse 2 of the holes. I ended up breaking the tap on my last hole! So I had to re-drill/tap.

Anywho, after messing around, I figured a way to mount the heat sink in the hood. It's actually very secure. You can't see from the pics but the heaksink is screwed down in the front. I'll have to post some pics of that later. I also mounted a 80mm fan on top of the heatsink. I'm also using the stock fans to blow out while the large fan blows in. All the fans are wired to the stock light switch. Here are a couple of pics. I'll get more later as I will wire up the LEDs in the next couple of days.

IMG_20110418_211802.jpg

IMG_20110418_211836.jpg

Nice. What kind of drivers are you using and what is the LED config per driver?

I'm using buckpucks, so 6 LEDs per driver. I have the 6 cool whites on one, 6 royal blues on the 2nd, and 3 royal blues and 3 neutral whites on the third.

• 1 month later...

I got the tank going, here's a pic, it's a bad cellphone pic. The pic looks way too blue and hazy, but you get the idea. When I find my camera, I'll get a better one.

IMG_20110523_164533.jpg

Coastie5685

Looks sick dude.

The picture does make it a lot more blue. The hood looks awesome though man. You did a real clean job.

Add some more colorful corals though man. Reds, greens. Use those LED to full potential in making colors POP in corals.

Frag some of that candy cane and mow some GSP lol. Open up more real estate for other corals.

Yeah! You're right coastie. I really like my candy cane though! I got that thing with only 2 heads, who knows how many I have now. It's like my baby that I've watched grow up. But I guess it'll have to move out eventually. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

There wasn't a cycle. I used new live sand and all my live rock/livestock came from my 10 month old established 16 gallon.

The live rock was from an established tank, so it doesn't need the same process as that of a tank with new sand and new rock. It's really just like he did a large water change. I've seen the tank in person and it looks sick. :)

Recently I got the new moonlight kit from rapidled. You can see the two moonlights on the top. It was easy to do and looks great for $14. Here's a pic:

IMG_20110529_095928.jpg

Other than that, the tank is doing great, I also hooked up a chiller that I'll get pics up soon. It just one of those aquaeuro cl-85 peltier chillers. We'll see how it does, I haven't got to really test it out yet. I don't expect a lot out of it, from reviews it seems to be either a hit or miss.

Another pic:

DSCF1386.jpg

Here is the inlet for my chiller. The outlet just comes out the back along with the other cords. I'm using the stock pump for my chiller and I have it in chamber 1.

DSCF1376.jpg

lookin great, the LED's really make it. Didnt know you basically made a tank transfer, sounded like you started from new. I really need to get on my own LED project.

lookin great, the LED's really make it. Didnt know you basically made a tank transfer, sounded like you started from new. I really need to get on my own LED project.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't make that clear, it did seem like I was starting from scratch. This is my third time using LEDs on a tank, and I love em.

Archived