Top Shelf Aquatics

what coral is this?

classic

boomeraudio
indirect flow from the koralia nano... its setup on the upper left corner blowing diagonal to the right side... the reflected flow then reaches the coral...

i will slowly use salt mixed water to fill up the tank again to raise the levels... i got it at a local shop... there it also did not inflate... but it was claimed it was due to the fact that they also just received it

what else can i do... i am really getting worried and am already thinking about giving it back... dont want it to die on me...

I would definitely consult the LFs about it. Cause if it wasn't inflated then and still isn't, there might have been an issue from the beginning.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya it's not the best idea to buy coral that looks bad in the LFS i.e. buy a torch/frogspawn/hammer that is deflated...

yep thats my mistake that i didnt... said that he just received it yesterday thats why its not dflated...doesnt look good at the moment... some parts got a little bleachy... ;/

It could be suffering from shock due to lack of light acclimation as well. If the lfs un-boxed it an then put it under high par lights, that would stress it for sure. Are those PAR38s? You might try reducing the light schedule as well if you are going to keep it.

i just increased the light to twelve hours today... i am not sure if it is too much or too less light atm... these are the lamps i am using:

aqua medic i have two of the 7watts and two of the 3... basically one 7watt is straightly pointing at the euphy...

right before i took this picture... while i was grabbing my cam... i noticed the other head of the coral sprayed out some white stuff (looked like salt) that very quickly dissolved... i guess this is a bad sign... anyone knows what this means?

a friend told me to feed it directly with some zooplankton... what do you think?

post-42903-1303238017_thumb.jpg

I'd keep it in the bottom of your tank in pretty low flow (though, you still want SOME flow so waste can be removed) and target feed mysis shrimp to each head (with pumps off until it finishes eating) daily at around the same time.

If you can get a refund, that could be worth pursuing, but I think with a little TLC you could bring it back around. Your choice :)

i want to bring it back... but anyone any idea what this white stuff was?

and mysis shrimp can i just get it frozen and feed it?

No idea on the white stuff. Let the experts chime in on light cycle, but I would go much less than 12hours with a coral in that condition. I only give my frogspawn 6 hours and it does fine. I went to four when I got new lights. Some led's can put out excellent par for such a low wattage. I don't know what yours put out.

Make sure they will take it back before you try to return it. I think another move will be the end of it.

White stuff was probably zooxanthellae - the stuff that gives it it's color. Usually only released when stressed.

And yeah, by mysis I mean the frozen mysis cubes. Get a dropper of some sort, thaw the shrimp in a cup of tank water and drop a few shrimp on each head, nearest to the mouth you can get.

White stuff was probably zooxanthellae - the stuff that gives it it's color. Usually only released when stressed.

And yeah, by mysis I mean the frozen mysis cubes. Get a dropper of some sort, thaw the shrimp in a cup of tank water and drop a few shrimp on each head, nearest to the mouth you can get.

ok... i need to find out if i have too less or too much lightning...

Some led's can put out excellent par for such a low wattage. I don't know what yours put out.

no idea about par... 900 lumen / watt ... so i have 6300 lumen directly pointed on the coral.

I would cut down to six hours, I think that is a sufficient photo period especially if this is your only coral.

One other suggestion is once you settle on a photo period, leave it that way. Same goes for water parameters. This coral is needing stability at the moment. If what the lfs is true, it has gone from being moved from a frag tank, to a shipping box, to a lights out condition for who knows how long, to a lfs display with high lighting, to your display with medium to high lighting. Giving some stability of light/water quality to reduce the stress will be the key to this coral's survival. I'd be surprised if this thing will even take food at the moment.

Good Luck and you will be so satisfied if you can nurse this back to health!

I'm honestly not a lighting buff so that doesn't mean terribly much to me.. I would just suggest keeping it low for now. Probably don't need to shade it. I wouldn't consider too little light a major concern at this point.

thank you guys for all your input... i did a 20% water change yesterday... plus i reduced the lighting to 8 hours and put the lamps a few inches up... what i noticed is that it got a little bigger... one of the head created a bubble and now i have some more polyps... still didnt inflate thou... at the moment just putting some flakes... will get some mysis shrimp tomorrow and try to target feed...

Sounds good.. it'll probably be a few days or weeks until it really starts to open up. But, you should notice small improvements day to day.

I believe mBonus hit the nail on the head, your torch needs stability of its environment, and left alone for awhile, it is obviously extremely stressed! Good luck!!

I'd keep it in the bottom of your tank in pretty low flow (though, you still want SOME flow so waste can be removed) and target feed mysis shrimp to each head (with pumps off until it finishes eating) daily at around the same time.

If you can get a refund, that could be worth pursuing, but I think with a little TLC you could bring it back around. Your choice :)

Won't moving it into the boundary layer increase the pressure gradient on it though. wouldn't it be better to look to to flow pattern within the water column & then place it in the area of lowest flow.

Feeding it is a good idea but you will want to find something smaller until it improves.

Won't moving it into the boundary layer increase the pressure gradient on it though. wouldn't it be better to look to to flow pattern within the water column & then place it in the area of lowest flow.

Feeding it is a good idea but you will want to find something smaller until it improves.

zooplankton? at the moment i use tetra marin crisps.. make them as small as possible and just put in the water... should i try to target feed it?

1. Shouldn't be an issue.

2. Those heads are large enough to eat 5+ mysis each.. Can't see there being a problem; LPS prefer a meatier meal and can expand greatly to accommodate one. A finer particulate food will likely be too small for it to get into its mouth and not provide the same nutritional benefit.

1. Shouldn't be an issue.

2. Those heads are large enough to eat 5+ mysis each.. Can't see there being a problem; LPS prefer a meatier meal and can expand greatly to accommodate one. A finer particulate food will likely be too small for it to get into its mouth and not provide the same nutritional benefit.

what about those brightwell products like restor?

when feeding mysis and the coral wont want to eat them... wont it destablize my water... i only have some snails, a tube worm, one hermit and two snake star fish...

attached some recent pictures, which i took today:

post-42903-1303424095_thumb.jpg

post-42903-1303424109_thumb.jpg

i was not able to get any frozen mysis shrimp...

they offered me tetra marin gel food (brine shrimp, krill mix) anyone heard about it? is it any good?

i got a brightwell restor (coral tissue supplement) didnt use it yet... want to hear some opinions first...

the coral looks a little better now... water change and lowering the light helped i guess

It is mos' def a torch..leave it be for now..don't even try to feed it at this point and in all actuality, many of us in our club don't feed our euphyllias at all...if you notice any brown jelly, try to gently syphon it up as it could spread to the other heads..good luck! It has tons of potential.

On a side note..it's not good practice for an lfs to sell a specimen so quickly after it ships in.

thank you guys for all your input... i did a 20% water change yesterday... plus i reduced the lighting to 8 hours and put the lamps a few inches up... what i noticed is that it got a little bigger... one of the head created a bubble and now i have some more polyps... still didnt inflate thou... at the moment just putting some flakes... will get some mysis shrimp tomorrow and try to target feed...

Give us an update and pic next week if u can.

It is mos' def a torch..leave it be for now..don't even try to feed it at this point and in all actuality, many of us in our club don't feed our euphyllias at all...if you notice any brown jelly, try to gently syphon it up as it could spread to the other heads..good luck! It has tons of potential.

On a side note..it's not good practice for an lfs to sell a specimen so quickly after it ships in.

Chances are it had been sitting there for a while and deteriorating.. I can't imagine a wholesaler would ship something like that.

I'm not sure about the food you were offered. I don't trust a LFS that doesn't carry mysis -.- If you bought it, though, give it a shot.

The only thing left over food will do is raise nitrates. You should buy some CuC, though.. why so light? You can also manually remove what it doesn't eat.

don't even try to feed it at this point and in all actuality, many of us in our club don't feed our euphyllias at all...

I agree as well, I have never seen my frogspawn or hammer take food when I try to target feed them. I think you are on the right track with sustained water quality and a shorter light schedule. They will need some food in the water column, just don't go crazy shooting a ton of mysis at it. :)

I haven't used brightwell restor, but a quick search revealed that it's main ingredient is Amino Acids which might actually help this situation. Follow the instructions an give it a shot. I still think keeping up your weekly water changes and keeping your parameters stable is going to have the most positive effect.

A couple of those heads are looking a little better, but that one on the side, ouch, a little rough to say the least.

Archived