Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what coral is this?

classic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will post a another picture as soon as its inflated... just got it and put it in the tank... might be still to stressed i guess...

will post a another picture as soon as its inflated... just got it and put it in the tank... might be still to stressed i guess...

quick question: i just stuck it into the sand... since i wasnt able to attach it to any sort of live rock... is this a problem?

quick question: i just stuck it into the sand... since i wasnt able to attach it to any sort of live rock... is this a problem?

nope. both my frogspawn and hammer are just sitting with their bases in the sand.

I'm gonna go with torch since frogspawn and hammer have more prominent tips.

+1 im pretty sure its a torch because the tips are pointy.

boomeraudio
lights are out now... still didnt inflate... what is the normal timing? normal behavior when put in a new tank?

That is normally what my frogspawn looks like deflated. Mine usually inflates when the lights are on. What kind of lighting are you using?

Rabidgerbil38
lights are out now... still didnt inflate... what is the normal timing? normal behavior when put in a new tank?

My torch took like 10 hours to open up(over night), but never fully inflated until I put it in a moderate flow area.

That is normally what my frogspawn looks like deflated. Mine usually inflates when the lights are on. What kind of lighting are you using?

i use leds... got these: aqua sunspot - 2x 7w and 2x 3w

here is some new pictures from today morning...

post-42903-1303029966_thumb.jpg

post-42903-1303029982_thumb.jpg

post-42903-1303029994_thumb.jpg

on pic three you can see there is no direct current... it is almost 24 hours since she/he was in the tank. do you see anything bad or akward on the pictures?

i checked the water quality again:

salinity 1.0225

ph 8.5

nh4/nh3 showed at first 0, then 0,25 mg (?) nothing died recently (test states wait 5 minutes and compare colors ... this gave me 0.... but after 10 minutes it read 0,25 mg... so no idea atm)

no2=0

no3=0

po4=0,5 mg

will check them again... got sera marin water testkit... not really very accurate i guess...

Based on most recommendations... the pH is high, the salinity is a bit low, and the phosphate should be undetectable. That said, the coral will probably open up more in the next few days.

It's obviously not still cycling, but how long as the tank been up?

boomeraudio

It looks more open in the last pics than before. I would say just give it time. If it does open up post more pics. I'd be interested in seeing it.

running saechem seagel now...

ph is still 8.5 (how can i lower that?)

kh is 8

nh4 nh3 no2 no3 po4 and cu not detectable

ca is now 360mg/l

water temp. 27°C (80.6 °F)

salinity 1.0225

what worries me is this:

this is from todays morning:

euphy01.th.jpg

and this from the evening:

euphy04.th.jpg

doesnt look really healthy or what do you think?

the tank is up since november last year... i used dead rock as start up and after a few month started to put the first clean up crew members... this is my first coral... the flow should be alright... will slowly rise the salt level... lighting should be ok... got 20watt in total... and the company states its around 900 lm per watt...

would be lovely if it finally opens up... then i post more pictures for sure... i am just worried since i thought after one day it would open up... didnt have the chance to test magnesium.. could this be it? that i should change my salt... the day before i bought it i made a 20% water change... and only by judging the ca of 360mg/l already tells me the salt is bad...

euphy02.th.jpg

If your mixing a salinity that low, naturally there would be less calcium:

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/InstantO...mp;cnm=Sea+Salt

Second FAQ

Q: After dissolving Instant Ocean® in purified water, my calcium and/or magnesium concentration seems lower than expected. Why?

A: ...When dissolved in pure water to a specific gravity of 1.026, Instant Ocean® should provide a solution that has 400 mg/L calcium ion and 1320 mg/L magnesium ion. If Instant Ocean® is dissolved to a lower specific gravity, then these concentrations (and, in fact, the concentration of every other ion) will be proportionately lower.

Looks like a type of frogspawn. In regards to the sand that's where it should be based on wetwebmedia.com. If it's coming from MH at an LFS and now under a different type then it'll have to acclimate. I got a frogspawn from a store that looked great under 400mh. Took it home to my 150 and it looked worse than yours...it took a pooh...then in three weeks it's taking over the right side of the tank. Just give it time and with all those heads it will be massive. After a while doing this hobby you find that Even the smallest change in environment can upset the livestock. That said, your salinity is a bit low.

Sickly lookin frogspawn.. what kind of flow is it getting?

indirect flow from the koralia nano... its setup on the upper left corner blowing diagonal to the right side... the reflected flow then reaches the coral...

i will slowly use salt mixed water to fill up the tank again to raise the levels... i got it at a local shop... there it also did not inflate... but it was claimed it was due to the fact that they also just received it

what else can i do... i am really getting worried and am already thinking about giving it back... dont want it to die on me...

Archived