Cultivated Reef

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

it appears to be string diatoms. yes a systemic treatment of peroxide in the dose of .5-.8 mls per 10 gallons will kill it, but first we need a list of all shrimps and corals and fish in your tank

posted in your thread what it probably is and the thread to treatment

In that thread it says to take out all my rock and boil it!

Is that the only answer?

it appears to be string diatoms. yes a systemic treatment of peroxide in the dose of .5-.8 mls per 10 gallons will kill it, but first we need a list of all shrimps and corals and fish in your tank

I have nothing on the list of things to worry about i have a 24 gallon tank probebly 20 gallons after rock.

so i should does about 16 mls?

Yes that's safe. If you really want it gone drain out all the water taking note beforehand where the bad spots are, and spot treat them. You can refill with the old water.a spot treatment is faster and very safe but you can also dose whole tank since its not densely stocked

If you dose the whole tank it may take a few days or a week and a couple round of 16mil dosing. I would do a nice water change during the interim w fresh water because that's always helpful especially when treating a tank w a caustic like peroxide

If you dose the whole tank it may take a few days or a week and a couple round of 16mil dosing. I would do a nice water change during the interim w fresh water because that's always helpful especially when treating a tank w a caustic like peroxide

OK so i just dosed 16 ml

When should i dose next? Should i dose 3 days in a row then a water change?

Yes that seems reasonable if a full track dosing its how you want to go.

came across yet another amazing non reef made treatment on my homesite Lubbockreefclub, controversial like peroxide. its another strange algae treatment for the inside glass and its Mr clean magic eraser, the original old formula. Google it, something new everyday! It is on here using search function 2009

Edited by brandon429

Some of this stuff is already turning white and all of it seems to be going aggro. Hard to explain hmmm. How do I just post a pic here instead of linking photobucket so I can share some pics?

Excellent pics! I don't think it w need another treat, its always best to use the bare minimum needed and that bubbling action means you hit the sweet spot right on

Id just let it cruise tomorrow w no treatment and if not dead by thurs one more round I bet its gone

There where a few bubbles before treatment now there are a heck of a lot more.

How will I know it's really working? When would it die off?

Does light affect this stuff? I just set up my new radion I was using t5.

Keeping lights on normal cycle makes the target more sensitive to peroxide w don't know why. I think you wsee results in three days it w just die and fall off rocks

Its true light degrades peroxide just not fast enough to render it weak within the time needed to kill a target. Purely guessing but based on collective input from other peroxide treaters and my own tests I think free radical damage is compounded when the photosynthetic machinery runs as well

h2o2 kills night or day but its neat to find little differences among test runs

Edited by brandon429

sure that can't hurt, taking it slow is ok. I thought based on the bubbling it might have already zapped it. If a drain and treat is possible that w kill it in one pass usually, it has on other threads like the ones on r2r. your systemic dosing should kill it pretty soon either way

In every case a spot treatment is faster, less harmful to surroundings, and requires more work. Take out each rock, treat externally, siphon clean up under that rock as you remove it

This combined front is what you want

In every case a spot treatment is faster, less harmful to surroundings, and requires more work. Take out each rock, treat externally, siphon clean up under that rock as you remove it

This combined front is what you want

I'm not sure how this can work I don't understand this method.

It's all over the sand also and glass and back walls.

Even if it took out each rock 1 by 1 there would still be at least 30% of this stuff left in the tank

When I first started I misread the dosage and was doing .5 ml per gallon.

I dosed about 15 ml a day for 3 days.

It does have an affect on what's there but it comes back the next day just as strong

I check all water parims daily and ph to phosphate and everything in between are in range.

I just bought new test kits.

All filters on my rodi are new and good and I test at 0 tds.

Treat the rocks you can first externally, get what you can with direct application. Rinse off then place back in tank

Let's see how it responds to a direct run

I've seen threads before where particularly invasive strong diatoms required the tank to be started over

So there is no harm in trying this methods first

If direct application makes it die we can get to the other areas in time

Treat the rocks you can first externally, get what you can with direct application. Rinse off then place back in tank

Let's see how it responds to a direct run

I've seen threads before where particularly invasive strong diatoms required the tank to be started over

So there is no harm in trying this methods first

If direct application makes it die we can get to the other areas in time

So some are saying its cyno others Dino.

It's for sure Dino?

If it is cyno do I just treat it the same anyways?

There are other treatments for cyano such as boys chemi clean

And better tank current, manual removal/siphon

Extreme water nutrient stripping is common gfo, biopellets

if you feel its cyano those are the common treatments you will find on any Web search for cyano treatments

I choose to use peroxide to kill all of them but its with detailed work and spot treatments.

It seemed like your tank dosing had it bubbling but you reported no dieoff

so to concentrate it is the next step if you are going to use peroxide. I don't recommend using a stronger dose in tank, this was a safe level for the fish and corals