ReefCleaners.org

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

I'm going to be moving my tank in about a month and was thinking about treating all of my rocks before I put them back in.

My plan was to to scrub all of the rocks. Fully dip any that don't have any corals for 3 minutes in 50/50. And spot treat those with mushrooms (And the one that will probably be containing my Pistol shrimp) Cuz idk if I'm going to be able to catch him for the move.

Will doing all of my rocks at once cause any sort of cycle?

Will spot treating the rock with the pistol kill him?

spot treating a whole tank won't cause a cycle, but on the shrimp we don't have data for that, its experimental. Somehow the stuff finds bristleworms in the rocks...

Yeah, the hydrogen peroxide really works! I had a really bad algae, the same as yours, growing on my filters. I wiped off as much algae as I could, then dipped the filters in RO with a couple pours of hydrogen peroxide and the algae hasn't returned! I love this treatment.. I've been battling with this persistent algae FOREVER now, but now it's gone!!!

not stickying this thread is a tragedy. Used with collaboration in this thread the treatment is perfect even for new reef keepers, I have about 5 in my pm box using peroxide as a spot treatment in their new tanks and it just kills algae, nothing else, its perfect. Glad it worked for you, who cares if its an unnatural cheat, our tanks are unnatural cheats.

Not sure if it helped or not, but I had some hair algae. I dosed H2O2 for a few (like 3-5) days, about 10 ml a day for a 29 gallon tank. Went on vacation, came back and I havent seen it back. yet.

thanks for documenting that fishboy. the systemic dosing is risky but it is being used a lot with success, glad it worked out for you. its always hard to find a dosing amount that will burn the algae and not the other inhabitants, but it looks like that worked for you, stuff is pretty good cheat huh.

Ive been linking this thread to many forums, the goal being to draw the naysayers who oppose everything new out of the rockwork, set up for a before and after challenge, and watch them change teams lol

So it's been around a week since I've dipped my second filter, and I've been watching it because I was curious to see if all the coralline algae would also die off. But it hasn't! I only lost a little bit! I suppose it doesn't matter anyway because I'm upgrading to a 46 gallon next week with a sump and no HOB-turned-refugium filters, but it's good to know that the H2O2 works surprisingly well on JUST the algae you want it to work on.... I used about a quart of RO and half a 1/3 cup H2O2 and let the problem area of my filter sit in that solution for 2 to 5 minutes. No algae growth since then, even despite my last filter still being covered *and there still being an algae source in the tank) because I haven't treated it yet.

People should take a look at this treatment.. it really seems to work, and doesn't cause extra damage to anything else, at least with the dipping method.

Also, I heard from a reliable source that Kent Magnesium dosing will keep the persistent algae down. But only Kent's stuff, for whatever reason, they must put something in it.. I was going to try this method if the H2O2 didn't work.

glad to hear it worked, I agree it doesn't make the algae come back faster, it comes back at the rate dictated by all the variables in the tank. My own algae cycle is about 2 mos, every 1 to 2 mos I need to retreat a spot that flings up red brush algae, and this is wonderful because I know for a fact it will die every time.

I don't care if it comes back, I wasn't looking for a permanent solution to algae just one that truly works and didn't require me to hook up alot of filters or water stripping equipment...my params aren't off, the system grows coral certainly, was just looking for a way to kill algae without having to do anything else. as soon as RM finds something better than this to use, I'll switch lol but in the meantime I add to my tank what I gargle with in the mornings.

Edited by brandon429
So it's been around a week since I've dipped my second filter, and I've been watching it because I was curious to see if all the coralline algae would also die off. But it hasn't! I only lost a little bit! I suppose it doesn't matter anyway because I'm upgrading to a 46 gallon next week with a sump and no HOB-turned-refugium filters, but it's good to know that the H2O2 works surprisingly well on JUST the algae you want it to work on.... I used about a quart of RO and half a 1/3 cup H2O2 and let the problem area of my filter sit in that solution for 2 to 5 minutes. No algae growth since then, even despite my last filter still being covered *and there still being an algae source in the tank) because I haven't treated it yet.

People should take a look at this treatment.. it really seems to work, and doesn't cause extra damage to anything else, at least with the dipping method.

Also, I heard from a reliable source that Kent Magnesium dosing will keep the persistent algae down. But only Kent's stuff, for whatever reason, they must put something in it.. I was going to try this method if the H2O2 didn't work.

Kent didn't work for me even though I had it up past 1800. This really worked, its simple and by dipping you are in total control whereas using Kent-M requires you to dose the whole tank. I'm waiting for more algae to appear so I can do it again! j/k

Kent didn't work for me even though I had it up past 1800. This really worked, its simple and by dipping you are in total control whereas using Kent-M requires you to dose the whole tank. I'm waiting for more algae to appear so I can do it again! j/k

Haha! :lol:

Oh, I suppose it doesn't work in every case. Ah well, that's good to know. The dipping H2O2 method is a good option then, in the end!

Brandon- I'm glad the H2O2 works so well for you too! I am also glad that it doesn't change perams or harm anything than the treated algae. MUCH better than trying to solve the problem with expensive new equipment!

yep it is. now if I was having to bleach algae 4x a week and it went on forever Id do something different but just like pico reefs in general, the physicality of actually running this method is opposite of the predictions from the masses. the fact is, you can treat algae and not the source and this is not well received by staples in our hobby lol

we r gonna change that, just like the thoughts on pico reefs that plagued the hobby in 2001.

I read somewhere that it is a contaminant in the Tech M that is killing the algae and not the Mg itself. Sorry but I don't have a link to that. I tried Tech M and it didn't work for me either. I also tried another Mg from Seachem. Neither did anything.

We'll make believers out 'em eventually Brandon. Have patience.

go check out livingreefs.com their algae section

I even posted those awesome pics you let me use and they still haven't bit. I simply enjoy the biological back and forth of showing up and writing what I did. arguing on one forum alone becomes insufficient at times lol.

really though, Im just trying to press through walls of hesistation to the cleanest cheat ever. Wish someone would have done that to me in 03 before I lost the first reefbowl from just red brush algae. peroxide would have saved it but I didn't know to take anticipatory action back then, only responsive like all the other algae threads we read now and including back then.

heres the advice that failed me in 03

-red brush algae needs a turbo

got turbo, it knocked over all my frags and ate nothing. everyone had turbos eating their red algae on threads, just not mine.

-use boyd's chemiclean

used boyds, it killed my blastomussa m. and the red algae came back in a week.

then the offers stopped coming and I took the bowl down after I hated the way it looked. Specifically, peroxide was the cure I needed and didn't know at the time because I listened to the masses. I was also keeping unchartable nitrate and phosphate through aggressive water changes and it still showed up.

Edited by brandon429

So after throwing this around a heaping run of other forums here are you major objections from those that despise the practice, in the particular order:

#1 above all, that you aren't reducing phosphate by removing the end product only

#2 that killing the algae releases previously acquired N and P and self perpetuates

#3 that filter bacteria are dying

have tried to include the points of spot treating w rinses, external treament outside main tank and the caution around decorative macro algae tanks, even with residuals. in the short time of this thread and in personal use its become evident those factors are the main controllers for oxygen therapy.

I see none of this occuring, can't wait for everyones six month updates on the tanks to test the prediction that it will have only ran better having used the peroxide.

Edited by brandon429
So after throwing this around a heaping run of other forums here are you major objections from those that despise the practice, in the particular order:

#1 above all, that you aren't reducing phosphate by removing the end product only

#2 that killing the algae releases previously acquired N and P and self perpetuates

#3 that filter bacteria are dying

have tried to include the points of spot treating w rinses, external treament outside main tank and the caution around decorative macro algae tanks, even with residuals. in the short time of this thread and in personal use its become evident those factors are the main controllers for oxygen therapy.

I see none of this occuring, can't wait for everyones six month updates on the tanks to test the prediction that it will have only ran better having used the peroxide.

This technique is long standing for high tech FW where certain algae like cladophora won't go away from low nitrates and phosphates. In that world, we treat with peroxide in the tank. peroxide gives you the edge to beat back problematic algae to the point where you can get the upper hand. I never had any appreciable affect on my beneficial bacteria to the point where there was a noticeable detrimental affect.

go check out livingreefs.com their algae section

I even posted those awesome pics you let me use and they still haven't bit. I simply enjoy the biological back and forth of showing up and writing what I did. arguing on one forum alone becomes insufficient at times lol.

really though, Im just trying to press through walls of hesistation to the cleanest cheat ever. Wish someone would have done that to me in 03 before I lost the first reefbowl from just red brush algae. peroxide would have saved it but I didn't know to take anticipatory action back then, only responsive like all the other algae threads we read now and including back then.

heres the advice that failed me in 03

-red brush algae needs a turbo

got turbo, it knocked over all my frags and ate nothing. everyone had turbos eating their red algae on threads, just not mine.

-use boyd's chemiclean

used boyds, it killed my blastomussa m. and the red algae came back in a week.

then the offers stopped coming and I took the bowl down after I hated the way it looked. Specifically, peroxide was the cure I needed and didn't know at the time because I listened to the masses. I was also keeping unchartable nitrate and phosphate through aggressive water changes and it still showed up.

My blue and red tuxedo urchins destroyed my red turf algae.

lucky you do they make miniature ones!

Ive seen a tuxedo the size of a grape before it was among the neatest animals Ive seen at the store, all tube-footed on top in rows, it looked like an alien. I figured it might work but the algae took over so fast it was just giveup time back then

I read your link that you gave to the livingreef. It seems like nobody over there wants to give it a serious try.

My argument for recycling the nutrients (NO3, PO4, etc.) is that everyone is recycling those same nutrients when they use clean up crews. The crab, urchin, fish, or snail eats the algae from the rock and poops it back into the water column. Once there, our filters and water changes can get it out of the system. I doubt any of those nay-sayers have a problem with clean up crews, even ridiculously overly large scale ones. H2O2 is the same principal, but instead of using an animal's mouth to get the algae off of the rock, we are getting it off with corrosive oxidation. Again, once in the water column our filters and water changes get the impurities/nutrients/NO3/PO4 out of the system. But for some reason, a system that is using peroxide to keep algae at bay isn't as equally regarded as "in control".

If we had a creature that would eat this stuff we would apparently be "getting to the root of the problem". Like the guy on livingreef (and countless others) that controls his algae with tangs. Finding the perfect mix of animals for your cleanup crew isn't getting to the "root of the problem" either. All we are doing is putting in an animal that is willing to eat what others aren't. We're trying to find the right balance between food and forager. If you find this balance and keep your artificial reef "natural" you are crowned master reef-keeper.

My goal is to have a beautiful and healthy tank, but I can't loose sight that nearly everything I do to my tank is a weak artificial imitation of nature...flow, lights, salt, water, food, biodiversity, etc.. So what if H2O2 isn't natural.

agreed totally. Even if peroxide was proven to be terrible Id still use it, my blue sps tells me whats terrible for a tank and what's not. the blue sps loves it lol

lucky you do they make miniature ones!

Ive seen a tuxedo the size of a grape before it was among the neatest animals Ive seen at the store, all tube-footed on top in rows, it looked like an alien. I figured it might work but the algae took over so fast it was just giveup time back then

my blue tuxedo is really small. The red tuxedo is about 3x as big. The larger can be a bit of a bulldozer. The smaller one is great in that it doesn't try to rip up my zoas off their plugs. If you ever end up with an infestation again, give a tuxedo a try.

So is it bad when even your snails have bryopsis growing on their shells? This is outta control....its in my sand, on my snails, on my rocks...

That is a really cool method to get rid of algae. That reminds me of dosing the aquarium with Vodica does that do the same thing to keep alage away I don't remember?

vodka is not helping via oxidative burning its a carbon source for anaerobes in the system supposedly who consume nitrate to get at the oxygen molecule it carries.

Remember the term anaerobic does not necessarily mean the bacteria doesn't use oxygen, it can pertain to where they are found, in oxygen restricted zones. they still need the oxygen, neat huh, so in cleaving it from the nitrate molecule the N2 gas rises out, supposedly.

Peroxide has done really well for my planted 19 gallon bog.

It literally cleaned the inside glass for me, cleaned all the sludge and thread algae from years of neglect, and I didnt have to stick my hands in the tank. I was dosing it systemically because its so well used in fw circles the spot treatment careful wasn't needed.

damage give us pics of your whole tank if you can

most people here wouldn't just recommend peroxide alone as the treatment, they'll look for other combinations of care to keep it away, its fun to challenge each infestation by seeing pics and making a custom battle front against the pest. I bet we can zap that tank clean as a whistle for you now post em up lol

I too am dealing with this problem and it's growing on my snails as well. I am unable to take my rocks out and dip them in a bucket because my polyps are all over them, so can I just treat the whole tank at once? Do I need to take out my filter media? How much should I does for a 34g tank? Please help!! It's driving me crazy!! :blink:

Well, I wouldn't recommend whole tank dosing. The only fatalities that have been recorded in this thread used dosing. Dips and target spraying seem to be just as effective, but safer because your corals aren't in contact with the peroxide for more than a couple of minutes.

Having polyps on your rocks shouldn't be a reason for not dipping. I have dipped zoas, palys, acan lord, sponges, snails, a couple types of mushrooms without losing any of them.

I have found that spraying the rock with a little spray bottle of 3% peroxide is easier to target your trouble spots and it uses a bit less H2O2.

I have a question. I have some alage that I haven't been able to get to because it's on the bottom of the rock so I can't reach to it. To be able to get it. I would have to drain the tank almost wholly. The thing I'm worried about is I have two frogspawn and a elegance, if I drain the tank won't the corals be exposed to the air for to long, and I'm allsp worried about the weight of the tentacles out of the water. Any ideas?