Coral Vue Hydros

LED Wholesalers PAR 38 Review

Zepo.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WillWork4Frags
why are these LED fixtures so cheap in price, im not complaining but i wish i knew about them before i bought a power compact.

Probably the no brand leds that are 1 watt vs the normal 3 in cree leds.

Getting ready to start my 4g pico after discovering nano-reef.com. Read through a bunch of lighting options and decided to try this bulb... bought it on ebay and it arrived today... but I think I must have gotten a defective one!

I'm only seeing the blue LED's come on. The remote did absolutely nothing. Changed the batteries in it and still nothing. Tried 3 different light fixtures and still only the blues light up. I did see the whites come on for a bit then it went off, back on again all by themselves! Now it's just the blues again. lol

Guess I'll have to call LEDWholesalers tomorrow to see what's up. =/ blah!

WillWork4Frags
Getting ready to start my 4g pico after discovering nano-reef.com. Read through a bunch of lighting options and decided to try this bulb... bought it on ebay and it arrived today... but I think I must have gotten a defective one!

I'm only seeing the blue LED's come on. The remote did absolutely nothing. Changed the batteries in it and still nothing. Tried 3 different light fixtures and still only the blues light up. I did see the whites come on for a bit then it went off, back on again all by themselves! Now it's just the blues again. lol

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted bud!

btw, hello to a fellow socal reefer!

Make sure you pull the little plasic thing out of the remote so the battery works?

Make sure you pull the little plasic thing out of the remote so the battery works?

Oh... I thought that plastic tab is there to make sure the remote is water-proof in case it falls into the tank? :P

Like I said, I've gone as far as replacing the battery in the remote and nothing happened. (and no, I didn't reinsert the plastic tab lol)

I've called LED Wholesalers and the bulb/remote is already on their way back to be exchanged but probably won't be here for another 7-10 days.

I just hope it works this time. From what I saw, the 6 blue LED does give out pretty good intensity... but I don't know if they were on full power or what.

Will report back when I get the replacement. =)

How are your corals liking the new bulb, Zepo? I recieved mine in the mail the other day (still waiting on the fixture to arrive), but after just testing it on my 4g the whites seem a little dim. I had them turned all the way up. Idk, maybe I'm just used to the look from T5's and LEDs will take a little while to get used to. Thoughts?

Swayd, did you receive yours yet?

I still haven't gotten my replacement back. LEDWholesalers sent me a msg via ebay saying they still haven't received the light I sent back over a week ago via USPS Priority Mail.

In the mean time, I've decided to move on to a different set-up using 3-4watt GU10 LED lights from this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

A bit more work setting up but I think it'll be much better and cost a lot less.

I have a bad feeling that I won't be receiving a replacement... we'll see.

Update: Looks like Swayd also received a defective bulb. and LED Wholesalers still "haven't received" the light I returned. They are starting to sound very shady and I would recommend people to not buy these.

chucktdbm321

Was trying to look up more on these bulbs because my close friend ordered one and his bulb was also defective. He had his light working for only a week. The remote and bulb were not operating correctly and the bulb wouldn't fire more than 50% of its power. He too shipped it back and he hasn't heard from them since, its been almost two weeks... Seems more and more shady.

Well after having this bulb for about a month I can comment on the growth aspect of the bulb. My SPS didnt't like it at all, and i lost a branching monti. I believe you would need two bulbs over a standard 10g to support SPS. But on the other hand my LPS and softies have grown FAST. I got about four months growth under my PC in about 1 months with the LED's. My bubble coral is nearly twice the size and my neon paly grandis have split off about 4 heads in the last month, while ony one in the last month under my power compact. All of my mushrooms, GSP , frowspawn, and zoas love it. Also my maxi mini is doing fairly well under it also.

It seems like a lot of light is spilled over the size of the tank as it is a rectangle and light placement is hard. The higher you go the more light that bleeds over the skinny side. I wish there was a was to redirect it into the tank. Reflectors maybe?

WillWork4Frags
Was trying to look up more on these bulbs because my close friend ordered one and his bulb was also defective. He had his light working for only a week. The remote and bulb were not operating correctly and the bulb wouldn't fire more than 50% of its power. He too shipped it back and he hasn't heard from them since, its been almost two weeks... Seems more and more shady.

I guess their quality assurance isn't what we should expect it to be from a name brand. Guess I'll be hitting up boost led. Especially because their prices went down. X)

This is my first LED set up, so I'm not sure how bright they are supposed to be, but this bulb is significantly less bright than my 2x18w T5HO. Is the tank not supposed to look as bright? I was under the impression that LEDs put out more lumens than T5s, and that my tank should be better lit. Any thoughts?

Light is good but defective, turns off and on randomly and sometimes I struggle to turn it on! Either way I like the light very nice looking and great power, they just need to work out the bugs! I am not going to send my bulb back Im just going to live with it for now!

So I contacted eBay's Buyer's Protection yesterday. I opened a case and told them my story that the bulb was defective, I returned it but LED Wholesalers said that they never received it.

This morning, I'm notified that that LED Wholesalers issued me a full refund which I asked for back to my Paypal account! I didn't expect that and especially for it to be resolved so quickly! Very sweet!

I do wish things had worked out that the light was not so buggy.

Phil.

reefo_suave

Glad everything worked out for you. I was interested in this bulb as well, but I think I'll look else where since they haven't worked out the bugs yet.

This is my first LED set up, so I'm not sure how bright they are supposed to be, but this bulb is significantly less bright than my 2x18w T5HO. Is the tank not supposed to look as bright? I was under the impression that LEDs put out more lumens than T5s, and that my tank should be better lit. Any thoughts?

LEDs are high PAR, not high lumens. Good LED systems will not look visually as bright as another light source of the same wattage. That's good though, as your eyes suck at determining what light source has good growth potential.

What keeps getting failed to notice is that this bulb is made of 1 watt LED's which has much less penetration than 3w LEDs which your quality bulbs are made of such as the BoostLED, Rapid LED par38, and evilc66's par38. I went with the BoostLED for price and also got the fore mentioned dimmable 12 led par38. While the Ebay light was fairly decent, the boostled beat it substantually in every way.

The big joke to the ebay light is that it is dimmable. It's already a weaker light being that it only has 1w leds. WHY...WHY!!! Would I want to dim it? I'd like to turn it up some more.

The other thing... I don't think it list the wattage of the light. it has 12 leds at 1w but thet don't mean they are getting 12w. It could only be 9w.

WillWork4Frags

Maybe evil will gut out one of these, and use some of the internals to build his own remote dimmable unit =). Now that I will pay for.

AquaticEngineer
The big joke to the ebay light is that it is dimmable. It's already a weaker light being that it only has 1w leds. WHY...WHY!!! Would I want to dim it? I'd like to turn it up some more.

It all depends on your application of the light.

This is a perfect solution for an NPS tank, or an even more perfect solution for my coldwater NPS tank.

I needed something with tight optics, to give a "shaft of light" look but not necessarily a spotlight. I also needed it to put off very little heat, and be able to fit in a very small fixture. The tighter optics allow me to place the light that much farther from the tank, making it less noticeable. The ability to tune the light coloration to give different visual looks is exactly what I needed.

Plus I scored mine on ebay shipped for $47 B)

jeff@zina.com
The coral I have loves the light, SPS polyps are extending more then ever...

In general, coral polyps extend to catch more light, indicating that this lamp is starving your SPS for light.

Jeff

Maybe evil will gut out one of these, and use some of the internals to build his own remote dimmable unit =). Now that I will pay for.

Ha! Never gonna happen. If I build a comparable light, it's not going to be starting with this as the base.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I do have a defective bulb but I do have to say they put out pretty good.

I dont have a par meter but I dropped a Bird of paradise frag in the 5.5pico dimmable par 38 system and have another Bird of paradise(BOP) in my 20L with sump and 150w metal halide and T5 system. The outcome was very surpising as my zoas hate the LED but the BOP has grown about 1/4" more in the 5.5 than in the 20L! Both frags are from the same mother colony and were roughly the same size. Even the coloration of the BOP frag in the 5.5 was way better thatn the BOP in my 20L.

My ballast in my 20L just gave out, so Im probably going to order 3 par38 dimmable bulbs for my 20L this week!

Archived