inTank Media Baskets

LED Wholesalers PAR 38 Review

Zepo.

Now before I get started please don't flame saying that there are better alternatives and the LED's are offbrand therefore it sucks. I'm just trying to put the information out there.

I got this light on ebay for $49.99 from ledwholesalers_auctions but it is also for sale on their website. This light has the following features:

• 6x 16000K White 1 Watt
  • 6x 450 Blue (450 nm) 1 Watt
  • 30 Degree Optics
  • Remote control to dim LED's individually.

About two days after ordering I received the following.

imag0422.jpg

imag0423r.jpg

imag0424k.jpg

Here's a closer look at the remote.

imag0426e.jpg

So I went to WalMart and picked up one of those aluminium clamp on lights for working on cars and took the reflector and clamp off, screwed in the bulb, and hung it from the roof. I was left with this.

imag0425c.jpg

imag0434p.jpg

Now here it is with all LED's on 100%.

imag0436a.jpg

0000201.jpg

0000198.jpg

This is just blue LED's.

0000205.jpg

This is just 16,000k LED's

0000206q.jpg

Video of dimming.

Now this light amazes me. Coral that was once brown now POPS a bright green, blue, or pink. The dimming settings makes acclimation a breeze. I will update this thread in a few weeks to tell you how my corals are adjusting to it.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad it has such narrow optics - I would like it better as an option if it came with 60 degree optics - are there any options for the optics?

gulfsurfer101

I was just looking at this on their website. I'll be looking foward to seeing how this light works out. I got some of the original green colored zoas I got from you pictured above under my boost MU and they are some of my favorite polyps.

pmoradi2002
I was just looking at this on their website. I'll be looking foward to seeing how this light works out. I got some of the original green colored zoas I got from you pictured above under my boost MU and they are some of my favorite polyps.

I do not believe so but this thing lights up like crazy..

IMG_0005-1.jpg

Glad to see that you like them ;), i couldnt even give those things away because I had horrible pictures. Mind sending me a picture? I'm curious how the color morphed.

Sadly it's only available in 30 degree optics. That's why it's so far from the water.

thinking of getting one. Maybe for the refugium

Wouldn't be good for plants. I had a 30 watt 5,500k Compact Florescent over my fuge and it grew my plants like crazy.

was there shipping and tax? Could you give me the link for this?

Shipping was 8$.Just search for Dimmable Par38 W+B.

Edit : Updated with better pics!

AquaticEngineer

HOLY ####! This is exactly what I was looking for!!!

My cold water display tank I am setting up is going to need an LED spotlight with tight optics that can go in a single socket. I had been looking at the Par38/Par30s with the 3w crees, but the dimmability of this light makes it awesome for my applications.

Do you have a link to where this is available for purchase?

My cold water display tank I am setting up is going to need an LED spotlight with tight optics that can go in a single socket. I had been looking at the Par38/Par30s with the 3w crees, but the dimmability of this light makes it awesome for my applications.

Just do a google search. i.e. LED wholesalers par38 bulb. They have them on amazon. Right now they have one going for $65 with free shipping, and amazon is USUALLY very fast getting stuff to you. I am just curious about par levels with these bulbs.

I had one of these in my 'shopping cart' but pulled out last second, debating whether itd be worth spending the extra 20 bux for Evil's bulbs, or just going with these. :huh:

pmoradi2002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just do a google search. i.e. LED wholesalers par38 bulb. They have them on amazon. Right now they have one going for $65 with free shipping, and amazon is USUALLY very fast getting stuff to you. I am just curious about par levels with these bulbs.

I had one of these in my 'shopping cart' but pulled out last second, debating whether itd be worth spending the extra 20 bux for Evil's bulbs, or just going with these. :huh:

These are even better. The only reason why Evil's are more expensive are because of the name...just like Apple (you're buying a POS $400 computer for $2000 because it simply has an Apple logo on it).

All in all I am extremely satisfied.

Kinda maybe want...

Has anyone seen descent growth w/ LEDs though?

I'm still a metal halide whore.

I'm in the same boat as you. I see awsome colors , but thats seems to be about it.

Someone please prove me wrong

pmoradi2002
Kinda maybe want...

Has anyone seen descent growth w/ LEDs though?

I'm still a metal halide whore.

I have 2x250w MH on my 40g but for a smaller tank I like LED's. This is my first LED light and I like it very much. Now as to compare growth....MH is always going to be the winner IMO.

Well day 3, water is very cloudy, PH is way down. I'm thinking the algae doesn't like the light very much and is dying off. Which is a very good thing but im doing a water change to bring the PH back up.

These are even better. The only reason why Evil's are more expensive are because of the name...just like Apple (you're buying a POS $400 computer for $2000 because it simply has an Apple logo on it).

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Part of the premium you're paying is for brand name CREE LEDs. Those LEDs are known to be reliable, have a decent spectrum, and a high efficiency. There's also the issue of heatsink design and cost: evil's is a 20w lamp, whereas the other is only 12w. As far as I know, Evil's prices are actually cheaper than the other aquarium PAR38 manufacturers right now.

I'm not trying to imply the LED wholesaler's lamp is bad, though. Tuning the colors is definitely appealing. I'd like to see one of these first hand.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Part of the premium you're paying is for brand name CREE LEDs. Those LEDs are known to be reliable, have a decent spectrum, and a high efficiency. There's also the issue of heatsink design and cost: evil's is a 20w lamp, whereas the other is only 12w. As far as I know, Evil's prices are actually cheaper than the other aquarium PAR38 manufacturers right now.

I'm not trying to imply the LED wholesaler's lamp is bad, though. Tuning the colors is definitely appealing. I'd like to see one of these first hand.

+1 That's why I bought it. I can change the look until I find the sweet spot. I'll upload a vid soon.

to all the MH ppl the speed of growth under leds is amazing and the coral develop better color. well at least with my tank... and all my friends tanks... and a bunch of ppl on here..

a photon is a photon, no matter what emits it, so the only reason i got better color/growth is cuz with leds i can pick the spectrum, so i picked the best led combo to get the best spectrum. mh is just as good as leds IF the spectrum is right and it STAYS there.. thats just hard to do with mh.

Archived