inTank Media Baskets

diatom and nitratespure

sdoubtit8

For some reason, I keep getting diatom blooms on my sand, and only my sand. I have a nitrate problem as well. I don't have a media basket but will soon. What could be causing this? I feed my one and only fish once every 3 days.

Will purigen and chemi-pure elite help this problem? I do weekly water changes, about 15% and every month a 50% change.

Any advice would be great!

are you using RO/DI water? what kind of food are you feeding your fish? if it's frozen, do you rinse it with RO/DI before you feed it to your fish? do you have a CUC?

Purigen and Chemi-Pure will help, but it is better to find the root of the problem (nitrates & phosphates). If you can get your hands on some chaeto, I would put some in your tank until you get a media basket.

i've had the same issues before, and after i adjusted a few of my bad habits, i was able to combat the diatom & other nuisance algae. a CUC and chaeto will definitely help with your diatom bloom. since it's only on your sand, i would get some nassarious, astreas, and maybe a conch.

HTH

are you using RO/DI water? what kind of food are you feeding your fish? if it's frozen, do you rinse it with RO/DI before you feed it to your fish? do you have a CUC?

Purigen and Chemi-Pure will help, but it is better to find the root of the problem (nitrates & phosphates). If you can get your hands on some chaeto, I would put some in your tank until you get a media basket.

i've had the same issues before, and after i adjusted a few of my bad habits, i was able to combat the diatom & other nuisance algae. a CUC and chaeto will definitely help with your diatom bloom. since it's only on your sand, i would get some nassarious, astreas, and maybe a conch.

HTH

Ya i use RO/DI water. I use flake for the most part, when i do use frozen stuff I strain the food. My CUC consists of 5 hermits, 1 nassarius ( survivor of the crash!!!) and 2 turbos. I'll be ordering my media basket today.

I was thinking about getting a conch, but neither of the two LFS i go to have any/ order any.

Im hoping the purigen/chemi-pure will hopefully help. It isn't a lot of algae/diatoms at all, but its just that there is some in there.

Could this also be because my lights are getting old?? I just have the stock PC's on it, and actually am ordering 2 of Evil;s par38 bulbs today!! B)

Archived