inTank Media Baskets

IrieReefer's 10G AIO Nano/Pico

IrieReefer

Sounds good. What do you all have in here for a CUC and corals right now?

I currently have a bunch of mini-certhis, about 10 reg ceriths, 4 nerites (2 small 2 big) and about 5-10 small nassurious. Sorry about the spelling lol.

As for the frags......I have a two pieces of Chalice, two acans, and two rics. I am planning on waiting another week before I add anything else. I will probably place another order through mr.coral. I should have some pics of the frags......I will post them up after work.

update w/ pics....

5639491638_9deddf5760_m.jpg

DSCN2007 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5639491598_042f443716.jpg

DSCN2010 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5638916057_1561c9fc41_m.jpg

DSCN2009 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5639491696_76eb759f61_m.jpg

DSCN2015 by DProffitt, on Flickr

I suck at taking pics of my tank......I need to get a tripod and some idea of how to get the lighting correct. The chalice in the last pic is pretty green when you look at it in person and the rics are blue and green. The rock in the 2nd pic is just covered with all different types of macroalgae...pretty cool. I will be testing the water tonight. be back soon

• 2 weeks later...
IrieReefer

update.......well its been a few weeks I think since I have post. I went to a couple stores over the weekend and picked myself up two sexy shrimp and a Boxer Crab. The poor boxer only has one anemone but I have read they can split when healthy.

I also received my two part solution from Bulk Reef Supply. I am eager to get this started. anyone using their two part? I really like the two part from Two Little Fishies, but I have heard good things about BRS. I will snap some shots of my new additions ASAP.

IrieReefer

I picked up some new Red Sea Pro test kits and I have the numbers:

Salinity = 1.025

Mag = 1300ppm

Alk = 7.8 DKH

Cal = 400ppm

PH = 8.0

Nitrate = 0

Amonia = 0

I started dosing the two part from BRS last night to bring the cal. up to 420-450ppm. and the alk up to about 8.5 dkh. I have read a bunch of different information concerning alk levels and from what I can tell the reef will do well in a wide range from 7-10. Any thoughts on where I should be for mostly LPS, Zoas, mushrooms and maybe just a few SPS frags? Thanks guys!

IrieReefer

I have been seeing the anteni for days but never could see what it was untill last night.....................

5680525013_06bfb75f21.jpg

image by DProffitt, on Flickr

I am thinking that it is a large worm from the Family Eunicidae.......I read an article about them on reefkeepers mag. He must of came with my live rock, but boy he is huge. I managed to see him take a chunk of my green macroalgea in the front right next to him. It was crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
IrieReefer

tank update,

Its been about a month a half since I have started this aquarium and things are coming together nicely. I came home for lunch today and saw one of my acans trying to eat a small cerith snail. What the heck! I have seen one get stuck in there before but this one is too far in to pull out. In the time I took a picture, uploaded it and looked again, the whole snail had been almost completely swallowed.

has anyone seen this happen in their tanks? I will try and post the pic I took.......my camera is not the greatest for close ups.

I will post my levels tonight after I test. Thanks.

IrieReefer

So my Acan that decided to try and eat one of my mini-ceriths is now recovering from me helping it puke it back up! I guess...

Here are some pics, it started when I came home for lunch and saw the half eaten snail. Then after eating my lunch ( 10 mins) I came back to find it almost completely gone, I figured....dam should I just let nature take its course? Two days later I come home from work to see that the acan is starting to try and push the snail back out! The problem, the point of the shell has ripped a new hole beside the mouth of the acan......this is where I decided to step in and pull the snail out the rest of the way for the struggling coral. I little jiggle and you will see the end result.

5732361101_e9530e5644.jpg

DSCN2077 by DProffitt, on Flickr

At this point I was still getting over the wow factor and just figured it will know not to eat it and spit it out.

5732906846_a9feebc785.jpg

DSCN2080 by DProffitt, on Flickr

in this second pic I knew I should have pulled it out when I had the chance!

5732361673_d5b5c8fda9.jpg

DSCN2081 by DProffitt, on Flickr

5732907500_bc1346c228.jpg

DSCN2082 by DProffitt, on Flickr

As you can see in this last pic.....the snail I pulled out.

I will continue to watch this little frag for the next few days to see how it recovers. In addition to all that mess I picked myself up an ATO system by JBJ today. I was quick to get it installed and boy it is great! I am going on vacation next week and am anxious to see how this thing holds up. I will have my roommate to keep tabs on it just in case. Well...comments are always welcome here so feel free to chime in anytime. Thanks

Just ordered me this exact tank (14x14x12 right?). I bought a single PAR38 with 80* optics from Rapid. Are you running 60* optics? Do you think a single bulb is insufficient for coverage? Thanks man, your set-up looks very very nice. I was on somewhat of a budget, so I went with the RKL+SL1+PH Probe instead of the MP-10. Not sure if I will regret it or not :D.

WillWork4Frags

Your tank looks great! Can't wait to see it mature even more! What are you plans for livestock? Fish in particular.

I too am buying a tank from advanced acrylics' ebay store. I am planning to pick up considering I'm nearby. My question to you is how long after your purchase until you were able to pick it up? Did it have to be built?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
IrieReefer
Just ordered me this exact tank (14x14x12 right?). I bought a single PAR38 with 80* optics from Rapid. Are you running 60* optics? Do you think a single bulb is insufficient for coverage? Thanks man, your set-up looks very very nice. I was on somewhat of a budget, so I went with the RKL+SL1+PH Probe instead of the MP-10. Not sure if I will regret it or not :D.

Hi there.......sorry for the delay. I just made it back from a great week of vacation! I actually called AA after I saw what I wanted on EBAY. I didn't actually pay them until I went to pick it up. I picked it up the same day I called.

AS for the live stock.......I am waiting on my LFS to pick me up a pair of mis-bared oscillaris or even some naked clowns of some sort. I want something different but don't need to spend 100 bucks per fish or anything. Needless to say they are lagging on me. I am still working on final placement of my corals so for now I just sit and stare. LOL I hope to get my hands on some fish this week.

Updates are coming soon....water test will be done tonight.

Hey man, looking very good. I'm calling you out on some updates like you promised though!

I ended up getting another 2 PAR30's from Boost for mine and an MP-10, skimmer, etc. No need to make it a budget build unnecesarily hehe. Still waiting on the tank to ship but it will be about 3 weeks before it gets wet anyway.

I think I'm going to go with a tailspot blenny and maybe a YCG or something similar to add some color. How is your return pump working out? I'm worried mine will have too much flow, do you feel that yours could be stronger without overflowing?

IrieReefer
Hey man, looking very good. I'm calling you out on some updates like you promised though!

I ended up getting another 2 PAR30's from Boost for mine and an MP-10, skimmer, etc. No need to make it a budget build unnecesarily hehe. Still waiting on the tank to ship but it will be about 3 weeks before it gets wet anyway.

I think I'm going to go with a tailspot blenny and maybe a YCG or something similar to add some color. How is your return pump working out? I'm worried mine will have too much flow, do you feel that yours could be stronger without overflowing?

Thanks Man!! Good looking out. Yea I have been a lil busy at work lately. The tank is doing great! I am looking for a new skimmer because the remora nano is just too noisy for me. Works great but too noisy and the dam tunze 902 I have won't quite fit. I'm looking at the aquatic life 115.

The maxi-jet 600 is working just fine as a return. Its a lot of flow combined with that mp-10. I have mine turned up 1/4 of the way.

Updated Pics.......

5810816486_10c9babf60.jpg

DSCN2206 by DProffitt, on Flickr

This guy was my first fish. He has been in the tank for about a week now and found his home in about two min. Love him.......Barnacle Blenny.

5810816650_4e7284b631.jpg

DSCN2220 by DProffitt, on Flickr

This pic here is of a acan that I recently glued down...doing pretty good in its new spot.

5810251127_9032813112.jpg

DSCN2233 by DProffitt, on Flickr

One of my sexys and his buddy Maxi-Mini

5810816796_215a4363a2.jpg

DSCN2208 by DProffitt, on Flickr

My most recent addition to the tank is a semi-picaso clown (or so they say) verify please. anyway he is pretty cool and didn't cost to much.

5810816704_20dc479f0c.jpg

DSCN2230 by DProffitt, on Flickr

Finally we have my palys, which are doing great! They have not lost any color and new heads are popping up all the time.

Testing the water tonight. I'll check back in a lil later. Thanks

IrieReefer

Hey man......my bad I must of missed your question. I am running two par38's w/ 60* optics. If I could find 80* I would have gone that route. I have mine about 24' from the sand and I am thinking about raising them up a little higher. Some of the acans and favia are bleaching out if I don't keep them on the sand or in the shade.

I have the RKL and love it. I have the old version though so I bet you got the nice probes. It sounds like you are going to have a great lil set up. Ill be keeping my eye out for it.

• 4 weeks later...
IrieReefer

Hi Guys.......I think i'm over due for an update. It's been a busy summer so far. The tank is doing good! I still need to put it some time and clean up the macroalgea but other than that I am pleased with the PAR 38's. If it werent for the snails and worm moving all my coral around on the sand bed I think I would have some pretty big growth. I plan to get some epoxy this weekend and find some more permanent spots for those guys. Well enjoy the pics.......

FTS

5907075305_0a38c23d54.jpg

DSCN2244 by DProffitt, on Flickr

Side Shot

5907630552_b771c343cc.jpg

DSCN2246 by DProffitt, on Flickr

New Skimmer!!! WoW soooo much quieter.......this shot was taken 2 hours after I pluged it in.

5907075241_ea9431fcdd.jpg

DSCN2238 by DProffitt, on Flickr

Ill be checking in this week after I get some of these loose guys glued down. Peace!

WillWork4Frags

Everything looks like its coming along great. Seems like Advanced Acrylics is MIA. We may have gotten his last tanks! Anyway keep us posted, I enjoy your updates.

IrieReefer
Everything looks like its coming along great. Seems like Advanced Acrylics is MIA. We may have gotten his last tanks! Anyway keep us posted, I enjoy your updates.

Thanks man! Yes it seems hard to get your hands on a tank of theirs lately.

Archived